• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

STATS FCS Poll Guesses (Oct 2)

IdaGriz01

As I said on the previous Poll Guesses thread, probably the most interesting thing this week involves what the pollsters might do with Missouri State. The other losses by ranked teams should be fairly routine. As for the Griz, as “#15 Fan” said on the other Guesses thread, “a win is a win.”

Poll Guess, Team, (Record), [Current Rank]
#1 NDSU (4-1) [1]
#2 South Dakota State (4-1) [2]
#3 Montana (5-0) [3]
#4 Montana State (4-1) [4]
#5 Sacramento State (4-0) [5]
#6 Delaware (5-0) [6]
#7 Weber State (4-0) [8]
#8 Jackson State (4-0) [9]
#9 Holy Cross (5-0) [10]
#10 Incarnate Word (4-1) [11]
#11 Chattanooga (4-1) [12]
#12 Mercer (4-1) [13]
#13 Villanova (3-2) [14]
#14 UT Martin (3-2) [15]
#15 Samford (4-1) [16]
#16 William & Mary (4-1) [18]
#17 Southern Illinois (3-2) [19]
#18 North Dakota (3-2) NR
#19 Missouri State (2-3) [7]
#20 SE Louisiana (3-2) [21]
#21 Elon (4-1) [23]
#22 Richmond (3-2) [17]
#23 SE Missouri State (4-1) [24]
#24 Eastern Washington (1-3) [20]
#25 Eastern Kentucky (3-2) [25]

NR Austin Peay (4-2) [22]

While it’s possible the Griz could slip a spot (or two), I don’t think they will. Online accounts of the game show that, after a slow start, the Griz ran off and put the game away by the third quarter. They may frown on UM allowing a couple scores in garbage time, but I don’t think that will affect the votes all that much.

Although the pollsters don’t seem to be too impressed by Margin of Victory, it would not surprise me if they nudged Sac State ahead of Montana State … as a reward for their solid road win over Cal Poly. I say that because Sac was only 16 votes behind MSU in the last poll. (They were over 120 votes behind the Griz.)

After that, it’s pretty clear sailing until you have to decide where the pollsters will put Missouri State after their loss to North Dakota. That guess is complicated by the fact that the pollsters have looked favorably on UND in the past. They had them as high as #19 until their loss to Southern Illinois (a ranked team). So, I decided on a total WAG: Jump North Dakota in at #18 and stick MSU just behind them. That has the attraction of putting them among teams with somewhat similar records.

I may have punished Richmond a bit too much … they lost in double overtime on the road at #23 Elon. Still, I do think the pollsters will want to slot them in below Elon, which is at 4-1.

As expected, EWU got thumped at Florida, even though they did score a couple TDs in garbage time. It could have been worse; the Gators clearly took their foot off the gas after halftime. In fact, the Eags could conceivably drop out of the top-25. That 1-3 records looks really bad until you recall that the losses were two FBS opponents and #4 Montana State.

Dropping Austin Peay out of the top-25 was an easy call. When you’re sitting at #22 and get pounded by an unranked opponent … you’re gone. That, of course, makes a spot for North Dakota to move in.

That’s my story, and I’m sticking with it.

I could see sac state and scats tied for 4th heck could be a 3 way tie with the griz I wonder if that has ever happened?

retiredpopo said:
I could see sac state and scats tied for 4th heck could be a 3 way tie with the griz I wonder if that has ever happened?
An interesting speculation. Why not? Heck, two weeks ago, we had two two-way ties.

Griz should fall out of the top 10, Idaho State is by far the worst team in the league and they bullied the Griz for most of the game.

Westcoastfan said:
Griz should fall out of the top 10, Idaho State is by far the worst team in the league and they bullied the Griz for most of the game.

Nah, I don't share that take. And, ISU should get credit for a hard fought game.

To drop a team that far for winning (a win is a win is a win) would be an unneeded overreaction. I could see them dropping a spot or two, sure. However, hopefully that's simply fodder to do better/get better. That said, it doesn't matter much currently. With Sac St., Weber, EWU, and MSU all on the upcoming schedule of quality teams, the Griz can dominate the polls with winning out.

It'll get sorted out -- all that matters will be to win against the team lined up across from you. While not exactly pretty, that's what happened yesterday.

Westcoastfan said:

lol not a chance in hell.

IdaGriz01 said:
retiredpopo said:
An interesting speculation. Why not? Heck, two weeks ago, we had two two-way ties.

Ida you seem to have the most knowledge on these polls. Do teams really seem to rise or fall in rankings that much based on the scores? Seems to me if you win you win. I mean I could see if they had a team like the griz and jacks dead even and griz win by 50 and jacks barely win maybe they flip flop. Just seems to me if they have a team ranked high, feel like they’re pretty good, and the team wins, they should pretty much stay where they are.

Do these pollsters really look in depth at the games?

6vip5e.jpg

ilovethecats said:
Ida you seem to have the most knowledge on these polls. Do teams really seem to rise or fall in rankings that much based on the scores? Seems to me if you win you win. I mean I could see if they had a team like the griz and jacks dead even and griz win by 50 and jacks barely win maybe they flip flop. Just seems to me if they have a team ranked high, feel like they’re pretty good, and the team wins, they should pretty much stay where they are.

Do these pollsters really look in depth at the games?
The easy answer to both points is: No. The scenario you pose is probably valid, however. when they've got two team that are really close in however they choose to make picks, A blowout versus a nail-biter probably will make a difference. Otherwise, I hardly ever see that matter a lot. FWIW: As I said above, the Montana State vs Sac State voting may turn on this point ... but only because the two were only 16 points apart in last week's poll.

As for point two ... it seems to be a mixed bag. Some probably do go deeper, sometimes. But as a group, their knowledge seems to be pretty superficial.

Westcoastfan said:

At no point did ISU “bully” The Griz. That’s just you being an asshole trying to get a rise out of people. UM played poorly, but certainly didn’t get bullied. If Lucas Jonson hadn’t fumbled that touchdown out of the end zone late in the 4th quarter the game would have been over at 35-6. But, we pulled some starters after that and ISU put some more points on the board. You lose any credibility when you say stupid shit like that

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Westcoastfan said:

At no point did ISU “bully” The Griz. That’s just you being an asshole trying to get a rise out of people. UM played poorly, but certainly didn’t get bullied. If Lucas Jonson hadn’t fumbled that touchdown out of the end zone late in the 4th quarter the game would have been over at 35-6. But, we pulled some starters after that and ISU put some more points on the board. You lose any credibility when you say stupid shit like that

I don't think he had any credibility as a poster to begin with.

Westcoastfan said:

:lol: :lol:

kurtismichael said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

I don't think he had any credibility as a human to begin with.

FYP.

I don’t know that it will happen but I’m kind of hoping that Griz fall 2-3 spots. It would be good to have a little underdog mentality heading into this stretch of games, and it’s not like they won’t have an opportunity to move back up once they prove ISU was an anomaly. Any pollster who watched that game knows the game wasn’t as close as the score would indicate, but I still think it would be good for the team to move down. Motivate them

This poll has been pointed out as having no credibility by many posters on this site since the season started. They can take this pole and....

Latest posts

Back