• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Britt question at QB

MTGRIZ12

DONOR
Sorry in advance if there is another post about this. Heard some guys talking in line the other night and people discouraged by LJ's first half saying put Britt in...one guy said he can't or he loses his redshirt. Is this true? If LJ sucks or God forbid gets injured are we to say the season rests with Brown or is Britt available? If the redshirt is true, would you rather keep your season going or blow a redshirt??

They were probably thinking about the 4 game rule...

Red shirt burned if you play in more than 4 games

There was some thought (for a while) that you could only play in 4 games in order to preserve your redshirt….but you used/burned redshirt if you played in any post season action at all. I found out you can play in post season and still keep redshirt as long as it’s only 4 games total. That’s what the Cats are going to do with Ifanse. He will play in playoffs and come back next year.

HookedonGriz said:
There was some thought (for a while) that you could only play in 4 games in order to preserve your redshirt….but you used/burned redshirt if you played in any post season action at all. I found out you can play in post season and still keep redshirt as long as it’s only 4 games total. That’s what the Cats are going to do with Ifanse. He will play in playoffs and come back next year.

Britt already redshirted

He has already used a redshirt year! During that year, he was named Scout Team Player of the Year.

There's absolutely ZERO credence to saving a redshirt year.

And if UM had put Britt in, Johnson wouldn’t have had a chance to have a great second half and help the Griz win.

WaGriz4life said:
HookedonGriz said:

Britt already redshirted

Correct, so a moot point here. Just clearing up any confusion around playing in post season and redshirting.

My question about Bitt is more directed to whether he can be the right QB within the system that Rosey uses. Bitt is a very good runner, and if he played in the Bobcat's system, I think he might be a very productive QB. He is not as fast, or as physical as Mellott, but is a better passer, from what I've seen.
But in Rosey's system, I am not sure that it accentuates the abilities that Britt brings to the table. Just a thought looking ahead to the possibility of Britt being the answer next year.

mthoopsfan said:
And if UM had put Britt in, Johnson wouldn’t have had a chance to have a great second half and help the Griz win.

So if I'm reading this correctly, you're assuming Britt wouldn't have helped the Griz have a great second half?

I haven't seen a single thing in the limited time he's been given to play this season to indicate that he wouldn't be a signficant "help", given the chance. Until the Weber game, he was generally holding a clipboard and got no practice reps because "there's a reason for a depth chart or we don't experiement during games." You may emember that the second-string quarterback, fourth-year RS sophomore, this season, was replaced after halftime in a national semifinal game last season by a kid who took the majority of his snaps in the coverage units on special teams. Because they needed a "spark." Perhaps they weren't as optimistic a kick return would help turn the tide then.

And all of this is because the current coaching staff hasn't recruited a HS kid and developed him into a viable starting QB in like what, forever? But over in spudville, Eck takes a guy Petrino recruited, who played against Montana last season, and in the ten-month time period between his hiring and first game, turns him into the freshman of the year and one of the best QBs in the conference. I don't think for one moment he's more talented or capable than Britt. But he did have a coach who really believed in him, so he got opportunity and development. And before you ask, yes, like Hauck, Idaho brought in a highly-touted SDSU transfer to play the position. But they had a real competition there and the better QB played.

Had Flowers and Bergen not turned the tide Saturday, this thread would be more aptly titled, should Britt be asking questions?

RoseyMustGo said:
My question about Bitt is more directed to whether he can be the right QB within the system that Rosey uses. Bitt is a very good runner, and if he played in the Bobcat's system, I think he might be a very productive QB. He is not as fast, or as physical as Mellott, but is a better passer, from what I've seen.
But in Rosey's system, I am not sure that it accentuates the abilities that Britt brings to the table. Just a thought looking ahead to the possibility of Britt being the answer next year.

Supposedly, they recruited him because of his skills, potential, coming from an offense similar to what UM plays. As you say, the kid can sling it, and if it was a running back they wanted, they'd go out and find the next Mellott. With any luck, we'll be wondering if he fits in the "insert name here" offensive coordinators plan next season. Even then, it will be a drop down making all the headlines. If Hauck has anything to say about it, you can book that.

RoseyMustGo said:

In this offense, Britt is just about perfect. A faster runner with a decent arm. Runs the RPO well and can hit intermediate routes in stride. I haven’t seen the route anticipation or the “ throw the WR open” kind of play from him yet, but that’s pretty elite level. I think the one qb on the roster that doesn’t fit is KB12.

PDXGrizzly said:
RoseyMustGo said:

In this offense, Britt is just about perfect. A faster runner with a decent arm. Runs the RPO well and can hit intermediate routes in stride. I haven’t seen the route anticipation or the “ throw the WR open” kind of play from him yet, but that’s pretty elite level. I think the one qb on the roster that doesn’t fit is KB12.

I have not seen enough game-time experience from Britt to make any rational judgement on whether he is the answer. Basically, he has played in mop-up time, against many second team defenders. I need to see him start a couple of games to make any kind of evaluation of him.
just seems odd that Bobby and Rosey didn't think enough of his talents to play him ahead of Brown.

RoseyMustGo said:
PDXGrizzly said:

I have not seen enough game-time experience from Britt to make any rational judgement on whether he is the answer. Basically, he has played in mop-up time, against many second team defenders. I need to see him start a couple of games to make any kind of evaluation of him.
just seems odd that Bobby and Rosey didn't think enough of his talents to play him ahead of Brown.

I’m just super excited he’s 10 times better than Tommy Mellott both on and off the field and in the classroom

How bad did that trigger you? Go ahead you can admit it.

HookedonGriz said:
RoseyMustGo said:

I’m just super excited he’s 10 times better than Tommy Mellott both on and off the field and in the classroom

Not at all. If you wanna discuss football, I'm here. If you wanna be a dick, I'm not here.

RoseyMustGo said:
HookedonGriz said:

Not at all. If you wanna discuss football, I'm here. If you wanna be a dick, I'm not here.

Everybody, be a dick!

Bok_Choi said:
mthoopsfan said:

So if I'm reading this correctly, you're assuming Britt wouldn't have helped the Griz have a great second half?

I haven't seen a single thing in the limited time he's been given to play this season to indicate that he wouldn't be a signficant "help", given the chance. Until the Weber game, he was generally holding a clipboard and got no practice reps because "there's a reason for a depth chart or we don't experiement during games." You may emember that the second-string quarterback, fourth-year RS sophomore, this season, was replaced after halftime in a national semifinal game last season by a kid who took the majority of his snaps in the coverage units on special teams. Because they needed a "spark." Perhaps they weren't as optimistic a kick return would help turn the tide then.

And all of this is because the current coaching staff hasn't recruited a HS kid and developed him into a viable starting QB in like what, forever? But over in spudville, Eck takes a guy Petrino recruited, who played against Montana last season, and in the ten-month time period between his hiring and first game, turns him into the freshman of the year and one of the best QBs in the conference. I don't think for one moment he's more talented or capable than Britt. But he did have a coach who really believed in him, so he got opportunity and development. And before you ask, yes, like Hauck, Idaho brought in a highly-touted SDSU transfer to play the position. But they had a real competition there and the better QB played.

Had Flowers and Bergen not turned the tide Saturday, this thread would be more aptly titled, should Britt be asking questions?

Yes, you read my post correctly. Without Johnson’s strong second half, the Griz would have lost.

mthoopsfan said:
Bok_Choi said:

Yes, you read my post correctly. Without Johnson’s strong second half, the Griz would have lost.

I have to agree with you on part of this one. Except that Johnson's strong second half would have not have been enough without the 14 ST points.

RoseyMustGo said:
mthoopsfan said:

I have to agree with you on part of this one. Except that Johnson's strong second half would have not have been enough without the 14 ST points.

And without the momentum those 2 TD’s created.

Back