• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

100% unofficial fan-built early 2023 2-deep

Lord Vigo said:
uofmman1122 said:
You mean without any additions? I feel like any team losing their seniors without any replacements would be worse off.

My hot take prediction is that Gillman is gonna be our starter going into the 1st game.

Ok better question:

Regarding positions with new players in the lineup, where are you excited and where are you hoping for more help?
Okay sorry, that's a little more clear :lol:

We could always use more help at QB, CB, DL, and OL, which is why they're the positions we're always targeting transfers for. I would be over the moon if we could get some stud #1 WR (probably through a transfer) that we haven't had in a while, at least since Toure left. We need to get them the ball, though, which was an issue at times this year. I'm really hoping the low grumbling rumors that Gubner might leave aren't true. It's also gonna be incredibly hard to replace the first All-American CB we've had since Trumaine Johnson.

As for excited, as much as I've been a defender of Robby, I kind of do want to see what an entire year of bigger, better cover safeties on the field at all times can do. I'm excited, as I said, about the RB room next year, especially Eli. I think the 4-5 returners on the OL who started for us will be better, so excited to see them. Camden Casper was an exceptional HS kicker, so I'm hoping he gets a chance to break through, too. The LB corps after Welnel and O'Connell showed some awesome promise and little drop-off.

I think that's a pretty good guess, but we'll see who decides to leave between now and spring ball.

I believe Matt Rensvold is done (Missoulian article mentioned him as one of the departing seniors).

Gubner is the returning DT; Alford has used up his eligibility.

Kaschmitter was the third DT this year, so I'd expect him to be in the rotation.

O-Line still seems like a big question mark, especially depth. As you said, QB and CB experience are big concerns that may lead to transfers being needed.

The biggest issue I see is that O'Connell and Ford were excellent talents who don't seem to have successors on the roster. Walker is the only CB who got meaningful time this year, and I don't see a pass rusher on the roster who is close to O'Connell.

uofmman1122 said:
Lord Vigo said:
Ok better question:

Regarding positions with new players in the lineup, where are you excited and where are you hoping for more help?

We could always use more help at QB, CB, DL, and OL, which is why they're the positions we're always targeting transfers for. I would be over the moon if we could get some stud #1 WR (probably through a transfer) that we haven't had in a while, at least since Toure left. We need to get them the ball, though, which was an issue at times this year. I'm really hoping the low grumbling rumors that Gubner might leave aren't true. It's also gonna be incredibly hard to replace the first All-American CB we've had since Trumaine Johnson.

As for excited, as much as I've been a defender of Robby, I kind of do want to see what an entire year of bigger, better cover safeties on the field at all times can do. I'm excited, as I said, about the RB room next year, especially Eli. I think the 4-5 returners on the OL who started for us will be better, so excited to see them. Camden Casper was an exceptional HS kicker, so I'm hoping he gets a chance to break through, too. The LB corps after Welnel and O'Connell showed some awesome promise and little drop-off.

Good stuff. Am I right that Kale Edwards is supposed to have a pretty high ceiling?

I think the loss of Robby will help this defense in many more ways then people may realize. It just might be the difference!

Lord Vigo said:
uofmman1122 said:

Good stuff. Am I right that Kale Edwards is supposed to have a pretty high ceiling?

100% correct

Griziron said:
I think that's a pretty good guess, but we'll see who decides to leave between now and spring ball.

I believe Matt Rensvold is done (Missoulian article mentioned him as one of the departing seniors).

Gubner is the returning DT; Alford has used up his eligibility.

Kaschmitter was the third DT this year, so I'd expect him to be in the rotation.

O-Line still seems like a big question mark, especially depth. As you said, QB and CB experience are big concerns that may lead to transfers being needed.

The biggest issue I see is that O'Connell and Ford were excellent talents who don't seem to have successors on the roster. Walker is the only CB who got meaningful time this year, and I don't see a pass rusher on the roster who is close to O'Connell.

Rensvold gets one more year. Not sure if he’s taking it or moving onto life.

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
Where I'd expect transfers: QB, OT, DL, CB, S

So, the same places we see transfers almost every year.

I’ve given up caring about the incoming recruiting classes. So few actually stay and have an impact in Bobby’s world that there’s little use getting excited about them.

Oh, and Gubner is only a RS Junior. Unless he’s already said he’s leaving, he has another year of eligibility.

Isn't almost all of the returning team of possible starters, players who were recruited out of high school? 2 very good o-lineman weren't. Cotton came from Oregon St., early in his career.

Any thoughts on Caden Huot out of Helena being the future solution to the ongoing QB issues, strong arm, right size and has the smarts

hubcap said:
Griziron said:

Rensvold gets one more year. Not sure if he’s taking it or moving onto life.

Rensvold does have another year of eligibility. The Missoulian article (https://missoulian.com/sports/colle...cle_5c253fe6-b5ad-544a-bade-838896547bfa.html) mentioned him along with some of the other seniors as being at the end of their careers.

Not trying to be a neggie here, but I don't know how any fan can be excited by our returning defensive players next season. I think we will be fine, and perhaps even better on offense, but I do not think our defense will be as good. We lose our four best defensive players (Hauck, Welnel, O'Connell, & Ford), plus our other starting CB. That is five of our best defenders. Replacing these guys with players of equal ability might be a stretch.

RoseyMustGo said:
Not trying to be a neggie here, but I don't know how any fan can be excited by our returning defensive players next season. I think we will be fine, and perhaps even better on offense, but I do not think our defense will be as good. We lose our four best defensive players (Hauck, Welnel, O'Connell, & Ford), plus our other starting CB. That is five of our best defenders. Replacing these guys with players of equal ability might be a stretch.

The Griz have some younger safeties. Need some corners. Have a good amount of LB's, but the seniors were good as you said. Have some good young players on the d-line. Probably need more. Yes, there are holes to fill, as there are almost every year.

mthoopsfan said:
RoseyMustGo said:

The Griz have some younger safeties. Need some corners. Have a good amount of LB's, but the seniors were good as you said. Have some good young players on the d-line. Probably need more. Yes, there are holes to fill, as there are almost every year.

Offense wish list: 2 transfer qb’s, 2 transfer OL, 2 transfer fast, tall WR.

mthoopsfan said:
RoseyMustGo said:

Listing a bunch of numbers returning by position, doesn't equal quality. You just don't replace players like these four by plug-n-play new players. Idaho State and Northern Colorado has a bunch of players returning too. They're just not any good.

RoseyMustGo said:
mthoopsfan said:

Listing a bunch of numbers returning by position, doesn't equal quality. You just don't replace players like these four by plug-n-play new players. Idaho State and Northern Colorado has a bunch of players returning too. They're just not any good.

I'm talking about guys who played safety and linebacker this year in games. I also saw the younger guys in practice and pre-season. I didn't list any numbers for position. Jeez, learn to read. Learn something about the program. Follow the program and the team. Don't just spout nonsense. You obviously never played the game, or got a good education.

mthoopsfan said:
RoseyMustGo said:

I'm talking about guys who played safety and linebacker this year in games. I also saw the younger guys in practice and pre-season. I didn't list any numbers for position. Jeez, learn to read. Learn something about the program. Follow the program and the team. Don't just spout nonsense. You obviously never played the game, or got a good education.

YAWN! Your act get older each day. Why don't take a break?

Honest question: Is Jake Olson’s future TE or LT?

Second: Would Ben McGourin be a good replacement at LB to replace O’Connell? Or is his future on the DL as he is listed now? Ben seems to have a natural ability getting to the QB. His being moved off the line gives more rushing options for him and he is stout at point of attack in run game. Working behind his brother may be a good combo.

Diesel said:

Second: Would Ben McGourin be a good replacement at LB to replace O’Connell? Or is his future on the DL as he is listed now? Ben seems to have a natural ability getting to the QB. His being moved off the line gives more rushing options for him and he is stout at point of attack in run game. Working behind his brother may be a good combo.

You've also got guys like Genatone & Wegener. Wegener has already redshirted at Iowa, so he's got some kind of pedigree that would indicate some ability. Genatone, an athlete on the order of Gillman, was a wrestling & sprints champion, and he's through the redshirt process. Wondering if he's a guy like O'Connell? A D-line guy that might be pressed into service is Ramos. There's not much in terms of girth on the roster behind Cubs.

RoseyMustGo said:

Addition by subtraction. :D

bgbigdog said:
Diesel said:

You've also got guys like Genatone & Wegener. Wegener has already redshirted at Iowa, so he's got some kind of pedigree that would indicate some ability. Genatone, an athlete on the order of Gillman, was a wrestling & sprints champion, and he's through the redshirt process. Wondering if he's a guy like O'Connell? A D-line guy that might be pressed into service is Ramos. There's not much in terms of girth on the roster behind Cubs.

I am perfectly fine with the DL pipeline and the LB pipeline. CB is a concern, given that we lose both starting corners this year. And I still don't believe Graves is the answer at safety, yet we lose both Cotton and Hauck there...

AZGrizFan said:
bgbigdog said:

I am perfectly fine with the DL pipeline and the LB pipeline. CB is a concern, given that we lose both starting corners this year. And I still don't believe Graves is the answer at safety, yet we lose both Cotton and Hauck there...
Cotton is a Junior. He's coming back.

Back