• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

I expect Hauck to get a renewed long-term contract this winter/spring

Fahque said:
mthoopsfan said:
Johnson was very sick against Idaho, didn't run hardly at all (pro or scramble), and didn't play well. The team didn't play well. I was focusing more on the specific (dumb) things the poster was saying. Yes, UM should have beaten Idaho.

Do you even believe half the shit you post? Because if so, it is quite hypocritical and you contradict yourself. You defend Johnson's bad plays/issues/turnovers yet you say that Britt shouldn't play because he might turn the ball over… You can't have it both ways

Other than saying Johnson was sick and hurt at times, when have so defended him? When have I ever defended a Johnson TO or mistake? Put up or shut up. You are just making up stuff and being dishonest.

Spanky2 said:
Bobby is an excellent coach and has quality assistants. Any shortfall in the assistants accomplishments can be changed in the off-season by Bobby. For various reasons, the Griz weren’t competitive with the top teams of the conference and North Dakota State. I believe that shakes out to be a lack of overall talent as compared to those teams which is a recruiting issue.
This is 100% correct. Our roster isn’t good enough. We were not nearly as talented as you guys thought we were. We need to hit the transfer portal hard and runoff the guys that shouldn’t be at this level. Regardless of where they are from.

WaGriz4life said:
Spanky2 said:
Bobby is an excellent coach and has quality assistants. Any shortfall in the assistants accomplishments can be changed in the off-season by Bobby. For various reasons, the Griz weren’t competitive with the top teams of the conference and North Dakota State. I believe that shakes out to be a lack of overall talent as compared to those teams which is a recruiting issue.
This is 100% correct. Our roster isn’t good enough. We were not nearly as talented as you guys thought we were. We need to hit the transfer portal hard and runoff the guys that shouldn’t be at this level. Regardless of where they are from.
For those that you say don't belong at this level, how'd they get on the team? Are they walk-ons? What % were recruited by current staff, if any? Not picking a fight. I'm actually asking for your opinion.

GrizMania said:
WaGriz4life said:
For those that you say don't belong at this level, how'd they get on the team? Are they walk-ons? What % were recruited by current staff, if any? Not picking a fight. I'm actually asking for your opinion.

All but four kids on the roster are Bobby recruits. Flowers, Rensvold, Matthews and Roberts. Guys on this team were either asked to be on the roster or they walked on and were asked to be on the roster. It all begins with people on the staff, you'd assume the coaches and recruiting personnel, who determine that the target individual has the potential to be a D1 player. The reality is of the 25 or so kids who start the year in a recruiting class, many of them wash out each of the years that follow. They're injured, too far from home, dissatisfied with their situations, unable to actually do what it takes to be a student athlete - that's dam hard, and a host of other reasons like their scholarships aren't renewed when the coach determines they aren't D1 material. That's right - scholarship monies are renewed each season. Just like any pro draft, there are kids brought on that just don't grow into what you're hoping for them. It's a roll of the dice at best. It was no secret that Choate used to recruit more folks than he needed to fill out the roster - knowing he wasn't going to have some of the guys he'd recruited from years past back because he found better players. Given his results, seems like that's a viable strategy.

If you watched them against Washington last season, seemed like they had talent to burn. But attrition was taking its toll. You recall they started a pair of freshmen because they were out of running backs. Toure, the Deming boys, left before the season. The Demings were great role players that were sorely missed that season. Cam and Akem going down in the title game and you have Bobby noting, they just didn't have enough "dudes" to finish out the season. I think he was right. Depth of dudes is a thing at Montana. Depth of dudes likely allows the championship caliber teams to be championship teams.

Bok_Choi said:
GrizMania said:

All but four kids on the roster are Bobby recruits. Flowers, Rensvold, Matthews and Roberts. Guys on this team were either asked to be on the roster or they walked on and were asked to be on the roster. It all begins with people on the staff, you'd assume the coaches and recruiting personnel, who determine that the target individual has the potential to be a D1 player. The reality is of the 25 or so kids who start the year in a recruiting class, many of them wash out each of the years that follow. They're injured, too far from home, dissatisfied with their situations, unable to actually do what it takes to be a student athlete - that's dam hard, and a host of other reasons like their scholarships aren't renewed when the coach determines they aren't D1 material. That's right - scholarship monies are renewed each season. Just like any pro draft, there are kids brought on that just don't grow into what you're hoping for them. It's a roll of the dice at best. It was no secret that Choate used to recruit more folks than he needed to fill out the roster - knowing he wasn't going to have some of the guys he'd recruited from years past back because he found better players. Given his results, seems like that's a viable strategy.

If you watched them against Washington last season, seemed like they had talent to burn. But attrition was taking its toll. You recall they started a pair of freshmen because they were out of running backs. Toure, the Deming boys, left before the season. The Demings were great role players that were sorely missed that season. Cam and Akem going down in the title game and you have Bobby noting, they just didn't have enough "dudes" to finish out the season. I think he was right. Depth of dudes is a thing at Montana. Depth of dudes likely allows the championship caliber teams to be championship teams.
Good post.

WaGriz4life said:
Spanky2 said:

It’s year 5. Who’s responsible for the roster makeup?

PTGrizzly said:
WaGriz4life said:

The roster was great. But not good enough without a healthy qb no. 1.

mhe thinks Hauck should get an extension. I mean his record this year was what 8-1-2-1-1

8 - Wins
1 - Loss - A** kicked
2 - Backup/Third string QB
1 - Sick QB
1 - Refs sucked, were held on every play, and missed face mask(agree on this one this one).

Thinks that basically sums it up.

PTGrizzly said:
mthoopsfan said:

Would a healthy QB keep the Cats or Bison from running whenever they wanted?

A healthy qb and more offense would keep the D off the field more. A healthy and great qb would help psychologically. I assume the Griz knew deep down that they were screwed with a healthy Johnson, particularly in the last game. It must have been disheartening to see the O start the 3d q with a 3 and out and then have 2 picks and little O (until the last drive). Did you not feel less optimistic when Johnson went out? I continued to have hope, but assumed we were screwed.

Marty11 said:
mhe thinks Hauck should get an extension. I mean his record this year was what 8-1-2-1-1

8 - Wins
1 - Loss - A** kicked
2 - Backup/Third string QB
1 - Sick QB
1 - Refs sucked, were held on every play, and missed face mask(agree on this one this one).

Thinks that basically sums it up.

I think he will get an extension.

PTGrizzly said:
WaGriz4life said:

Marvelous question. May I add one? How about who's responsible for developing the kids on the roster?

mthoopsfan said:
PTGrizzly said:

There's some dudes on here saying Bobby needs to "run off" a bunch of players. Is this necessary? If so, who? And how?
It seems ridiculous to me

Bok_Choi said:
PTGrizzly said:

Marvelous question. May I add one? How about who's responsible for developing the kids on the roster?

Who on the roster, given their time and place on the roster, was underdeveloped this year?

GrizMania said:
mthoopsfan said:

There's some dudes on here saying Bobby needs to "run off" a bunch of players. Is this necessary? If so, who? And how?
It seems ridiculous to me

I doubt that that is true.

mthoopsfan said:
PTGrizzly said:

or a quality #2 QB which brings us back to the roster question

5 years is a long time

mthoopsfan said:
PTGrizzly said:
Would a healthy QB keep the Cats or Bison from running whenever they wanted?

A healthy qb and more offense would keep the D off the field more. A healthy and great qb would help psychologically. I assume the Griz knew deep down that they were screwed with a healthy Johnson, particularly in the last game. It must have been disheartening to see the O start the 3d q with a 3 and out and then have 2 picks and little O (until the last drive). Did you not feel less optimistic when Johnson went out? I continued to have hope, but assumed we were screwed.

Were you taught in law school to never give a straight answer to a question? Just curious.

I’m sure it was disheartening to the defense. At the same time, they weren’t doing anything to stop the two best teams we played.

Now how is it possible we couldn’t stop those two teams, yet have all good coaches, who are good at their jobs (coaching, developing, recruiting), and have a very good roster? There is a disconnect there my friend. Either the roster isn’t good enough, or the coaches didn’t do their job well. And spare me on the backup QB. It’s year 5. Most teams have quality backups at the position, it’s expected. If in year 5 there isn’t a backup capable of spot starting, that is a terrible indictment on recruiting and developing. That shouldn’t happen to top programs. Will there be some dropoff? Of course. Enough to go from very good to 115 yards of offense in a game? Unequivocally no.

mthoopsfan said:
Bok_Choi said:

Who on the roster, given their time and place on the roster, was underdeveloped this year?

Brown for one. You'd tell me that the kid who got yanked from the quarterfinals game the season prior, because he wasn't getting it done, was the best option for backing up the guy they brought in to play in front of him, because he wasn't good enough to be the starter? You know, the fourth year sophomore, Kris Brown? If he was, I missed on it, because he looked a hell of a lot like the Brown of 2021. You know, the guy they pulled in the quarterfinal and was relieved by the guy who took almost all his prior snaps as a special teamer. Did he make a quantum leap one season over the next, or were the coaches too busy elsewhere?

Britt for two. The scout team player of the year in 2021, and a guy from all reports, ran a very similar offense to what was on the field at Montana, when he was in high school. I'm told that, along with his many accolades and achievements while in high school, running a similar offense and being successful at it, was the reason they asked him to come to Montana. His skills are more akin to Johnson's than Browns so when it was time to pickup some yards on the ground, he could maybe do that. Hold on.. am being told the coaches felt he wasn't as good as Brown in fall camp. Why is that, because neither of them were important enough to waste any time on because they brought in a starter that needed their full attention to get him up to speed for the season? See the circular argument here.

Hauck benched Brown again this season. Not because he was injured, but because he wasn't good enough, like in 2021. If they had invested that time in Brit, or in Brown to really improve their skills, there may have not been the dramatic drop-off there was when one or the other hit the field for the oft-injured Johnson. Or maybe, just maybe, the guys they have entrusted with the job of developing the QB's, just suck at it. Wait, that's being unkind. Maybe they struggle with it. In either case, I'd suggest there is more than enough room for improvement here.

Please also let me know if this isn't really relevant because QB isn't the most important position on the field. Hauck brings in transfer QB's every season. Not for the sake of competition, but because he knows the hasn't got a starter he'd trust to lead the team into the new season sitting on the bench. Though he ls hopeful that by osmosis, that they'll be able to take in enough to make them viable backups, when invariably, the starter goes down. It's football, not tennis as Bobby is fond of saying. Guys get injured, sometimes they just don't have it and shouldn't be on the field. What's a coach supposed to do then, if they didn't invest in plan B in the first place?

You saw it in spades, all over the last half of this season.

WaGriz4life said:
Spanky2 said:

……..or who they are related too, or how substantial of a contributor their family is. Its systemic here, and its already happening with the new class. Bloodlines and the good old boy isn’t going to cut it anymore.

mthoopsfan wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:35 pm

A healthy qb and more offense would keep the D off the field more. A healthy and great qb would help psychologically. I assume the Griz knew deep down that they were screwed with a (injured ?? my word correcting the post) healthy Johnson

Anybody remember Reese Phillips. QB1 2017 for Bob Stitt until the 3rd game of the season when his leg was broken. So according to the hoopster's logic that should have been it for the 2017 team - should have gone 2-9. Well they weren't great but they won more than 2 games and a certain poster didn't make the same excuse 100 times a day that Stitt shouldn't be blamed (and fired) because Phillips went down and the team knew they were screwed. Such is the double standard when your name is Hauck.

Back