• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

100% unofficial fan-built early 2023 2-deep

AZGrizFan said:
bgbigdog said:
You've also got guys like Genatone & Wegener. Wegener has already redshirted at Iowa, so he's got some kind of pedigree that would indicate some ability. Genatone, an athlete on the order of Gillman, was a wrestling & sprints champion, and he's through the redshirt process. Wondering if he's a guy like O'Connell? A D-line guy that might be pressed into service is Ramos. There's not much in terms of girth on the roster behind Cubs.

I am perfectly fine with the DL pipeline and the LB pipeline. CB is a concern, given that we lose both starting corners this year. And I still don't believe Graves is the answer at safety, yet we lose both Cotton and Hauck there...

Cotton is a JR and may need to be switched back to CB. Graves comment is strange due to he had most INTs and passes defended by all safeties also had one kick return and that went for 77 yards so he has speed and has least amount of time at Safety and performed well. I wouldn’t assume a regression. He is a bright spot returning on defense. His tackles were in low 30’s that was on par for the rest of the safeties and more than CBs and had more PDs than starting CBs and 2 INTs was a team high in 2022. Opposed to Robby having 1 INT in 53 starts and that was as freshman. Speaking of freshmen Cooper Walton would be a great replacement for Robby. He had an offer from Colo. St. and is bigger and faster and a tackling machine with good coverage skills, close to 400 tackles and 5 INTs in HS. Robby is proof that the defense can have a frosh or redshirt frosh as with Walton in 2023 can hold up fine and with his ceiling Walton could really make this defense work more consistent without the defensive holding and late hits out of bounds calls. 3-3-5 first requirement of players is speed and that wasn’t Robby’s strong suite, he had desire, heart, drive, work ethic, smarts, but you can’t teach speed and length or allow undisciplined behavior to go unchecked.

bgbigdog said:
Diesel said:
Honest question: Is Jake Olson’s future TE or LT?

Second: Would Ben McGourin be a good replacement at LB to replace O’Connell? Or is his future on the DL as he is listed now? Ben seems to have a natural ability getting to the QB. His being moved off the line gives more rushing options for him and he is stout at point of attack in run game. Working behind his brother may be a good combo.

You've also got guys like Genatone & Wegener. Wegener has already redshirted at Iowa, so he's got some kind of pedigree that would indicate some ability. Genatone, an athlete on the order of Gillman, was a wrestling & sprints champion, and he's through the redshirt process. Wondering if he's a guy like O'Connell? A D-line guy that might be pressed into service is Ramos. There's not much in terms of girth on the roster behind Cubs.

Thanks BigDog Wegener has the height and weight already for a edge/LB. Do you have any info on Olson and his future? He was a stud in HS and would have expected to see a bit more of him as a RS Frosh in 2022.

Diesel said:
AZGrizFan said:
I am perfectly fine with the DL pipeline and the LB pipeline. CB is a concern, given that we lose both starting corners this year. And I still don't believe Graves is the answer at safety, yet we lose both Cotton and Hauck there...

Cotton is a JR and may need to be switched back to CB. Graves comment is strange due to he had most INTs and passes defended by all safeties also had one kick return and that went for 77 yards so he has speed and has least amount of time at Safety and performed well. I wouldn’t assume a regression. He is a bright spot returning on defense. His tackles were in low 30’s that was on par for the rest of the safeties and more than CBs and had more PDs than starting CBs and 2 INTs was a team high in 2022. Opposed to Robby having 1 INT in 53 starts and that was as freshman. Speaking of freshmen Cooper Walton would be a great replacement for Robby. He had an offer from Colo. St. and is bigger and faster and a tackling machine with good coverage skills, close to 400 tackles and 5 INTs in HS. Robby is proof that the defense can have a frosh or redshirt frosh as with Walton in 2023 can hold up fine and with his ceiling Walton could really make this defense work more consistent without the defensive holding and late hits out of bounds calls. 3-3-5 first requirement of players is speed and that wasn’t Robby’s strong suite, he had desire, heart, drive, work ethic, smarts, but you can’t teach speed and length or allow undisciplined behavior to go unchecked.

Love Graves' energy, but watching him play he overpursues quite frequently, finding himself out of position to make the tackle. When he DOES make the tackle he hits like a freight train, however. I just don't think he's the full-time answer, unfortunately...not saying the overpursuit can't be trained out, but I haven't seen much evidence of it yet.

AZGrizFan said:
Diesel said:

Love Graves' energy, but watching him play he overpursues quite frequently, finding himself out of position to make the tackle. When he DOES make the tackle he hits like a freight train, however. I just don't think he's the full-time answer, unfortunately...not saying the overpursuit can't be trained out, but I haven't seen much evidence of it yet.

Thanks for your input. Hope game slows down for him a bit as a SR, he has had much better success as a S than a QB and it is refreshing to see a kid who has put the work in find a niche and position. I agree with the big hits and that is one area that when honed can cause turnovers and or separation of ball.

Diesel said:
AZGrizFan said:

Thanks for your input. Hope game slows down for him a bit as a SR, he has had much better success as a S than a QB and it is refreshing to see a kid who has put the work in find a niche and position. I agree with the big hits and that is one area that when honed can cause turnovers and or separation of ball.

Another kid who wasted 2 years in the QB room despite it being fairly obvious he was never going to play QB for this team. Probably would be miles ahead of where he is right now from a development standpoint if they hadn’t had him sitting with the QB’s.

RoseyMustGo said:
mthoopsfan said:
I'm talking about guys who played safety and linebacker this year in games. I also saw the younger guys in practice and pre-season. I didn't list any numbers for position. Jeez, learn to read. Learn something about the program. Follow the program and the team. Don't just spout nonsense. You obviously never played the game, or got a good education.

YAWN! Your act get older each day. Why don't take a break?

Why don't you take a break. I understand football and know the Griz program. You don't. You make a lot of stupid comments.

Diesel said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think Cotton is more of a safety type, but good thought that he could be moved back to corner. I agree with you on Graves. He's a good player.

mthoopsfan said:
Diesel said:

I think Cotton is more of a safety type, but good thought that he could be moved back to corner. I agree with you on Graves. He's a good player.

If Fouch, Graves and Cotton are the three safeties, and Corbin walker is 1 of the corners, who is the other corner? Trevillion? Simmons? Whitehead? Gradney? I’m not sure we saw enough of any of these guys (other than Walker) to know anything about them or their abilities to defend BSC WR’s.

Any thoughts?

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

If Fouch, Graves and Cotton are the three safeties, and Corbin walker is 1 of the corners, who is the other corner? Trevillion? Simmons? Whitehead? Gradney? I’m not sure we saw enough of any of these guys (other than Walker) to know anything about them or their abilities to defend BSC WR’s.

Any thoughts?
Just a hunch, but I bet we see at least one drop down corner and safety starting in the secondary next year that isn't here right now.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Any thoughts?
Just a hunch, but I bet we see at least one drop down corner and safety starting in the secondary next year that isn't here right now.

New drop downs are probably true. I thought with current players since one safety is a Hybrid LB/S a young LB like Walton with his being a high level recruit from CO and had great tackle record around 400 in HS and several INTs would have the raw skills to be a good scheme fit at S. He is used to contact and 6’1” 216 screams tweener S/LB.
He also sports the best mustache on team.

Most importantly our 2023 coaching roster:
HC: Bobby Hauck
Associate HC/ WR: Brent Pease
DC/CB: Ronnie Bradford
OR
DC/ Safeties: Colt Anderson
OC/ QB: Justin Roper
RB/ Recruiting: Justin Green
LB: Brock Coyle
OL/ Run Game Coordinator: Rob Phenicie
DL: Roger Cooper
TE: Bryce Erickson