• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Terry Dillon

100%GRIZ

DONOR
A friend of mine sent me this article and thought I would share!!!

I remember Terry Dillon by Dan Foley, Editor, Montana Kaimin, MSU Student Newspaper

(Editor's note: This first program for 1964 is dedicated in memory of Terry Dillon, all-time great MSU athlete who was drowned in a construction accident in the Clark Fork River May 28, 1964. Here is a tribute to Dillon, writen by Dan Foley, editor of the Montana Kaimin shortly after Dillon's tragic death.)

The initial shock of the loss of Terry Dillon is past, one's thoughts turn to the accomplishments of Terry - both as an athlete and as a man.
His athletic accomplishments are best known. He was one of the all-time Grizzly greats in football--a diamond that glittered where there were few other gems, a near All-American in a chool that has had few grid heroes.
I remember Terry Dillon.
I remember the game against the Bobcats in his senior year. The Grizzlies were down and almost out, trailing by two touchdowns and in danger of losing the ballon downs.
It was Terry who stepped back to punt--at the thime it seemed the only logical thing to do. But a second later the roaring crowd was on its feet as Terry side-stepped a Bobcat rusher, then sprinted down the right sidelines. When they hauled him down 22 yards and a first down later, they were on their way to their greatest victory of the year.
The Cats were sent scampering home with a 36-19 tin can tied to their tails. It was Terry Dillon who led the victory that afternoon, picking up 115 yards in one of the greatest games of his college career.
I remember the thrill of watching Terry on TV late that December as he prpresented MSU in the East-West Shrine game. And I remember leaping to my feet, as did every other football fan in Montana, when Terry intercepted an East pass.
But it wasn't just on the football field that Terry shone. I remember watching a few of the home runs he hit into the trees across the street from the Clover Bowl. He also starred in intramural basketball and ironically, swimming.
I remember too, the day I heard that Terry had not only been moved to the active roster of the professional Minnesota Vikings, but that he probably would start the following Sunday. And start he did, for the rest of the season.
That was Terry Dillon. He started the year as an unknown rookie and did well in summer camp, before and ankle injury ended his chances of making the roster. He was put on waivers and released.
Other players might of quit, but not Terry. He stayed on, working out with the "Taxi" squad in hopes he might get another chance. And he got his chance as the Vikings moved him onto the varsity squad at mid-season.
We all remember his football records at MSU, most of them as an offensive player;but with the Vikings, Terry was a defensive man and a good one. He had just signed his 1964 contract a few weeks ago and his coaches said they were expecting great things of him.
He wasn't a big guy, at least not by pro football standards. He carried only 190 pounds on his six-foot frame. Only a week ago he posed on Dornblaser Field with three of the high school athletes who plan to come to MSU on football scholarships. I remember ribbing him at the time because all three towered over him.
But he came to play ball, he had the will to win, and that was the difference between Terry Dillon and a hundred other pro fooball prospects.
But somehow, now, it's not Terry Dillon the athlet, but Terry Dillon the man, that I remember best. Terry would have graduated next week. He came back winter quarter to pick up those few credits he lacked for a degree in Business Administration.
That was Terry Dillon. He was making good money playing football, but that wouldn't last forever. There was the future to think about, after his playing days. He planned to be married soon and the degree was insurance for the future.
You would almost have to describe Terry Dillon as shy. He didn't talk much, and if he did it wasn't about Terry Dillon. After retruning from his first year as a pro, he came not as someone to bow down to, but as Terry Dillon. He didn't say much about accomplishments as a pro, and when he did it was only with the greatest of urging.
But again, that was Terry Dillon.
Grizzly football coach Hugh Davidson has suggested retiring Jersy 22, the number Dillon wore as a Grizzly. This has never been done in MSU athletic history and I can think of no finer tribute to Terry Dillon, the athlete and the man.
For in the game of life, as in the game of football, Terry Dillon will always be remembered as a winner.
(Football Jersey Number 22 has been retired by the Montana State University Department of Athletics in memory of Terry Dillon)

So I have a couple of questions!!! What kind of construction accident was it that caused his death? And did he only play that half a season with the Minnesota Vikings?

If my memory is accurate, he was working on the construction of a bridge over the Clark Fork and fell. That was the end of my freshman year and, as I remember, the CF was raging and he was swept away in it.

At least, that's how I've remembered it all these years.

Terry was from Hopkins, Minnesota. While most accounts I have read alos said he died in a construction accident, the Hopkins Athletic Hall of Fame inducted Terry posthumously in 2007 and said he died in a hunting accident.

2007 Hopkins Athletic Hall of Fame inductees named
The Hopkins Athletic Hall of Fame committee has made its selections for the 2007 Hall of Fame inductees. They include:
Dave Snuggerud—Snuggerud was a hockey athlete, collegiate All–American, NHL draft pick, and currently is the head coach at Chaska High School.
Beth Alford—Alford was a cross country and track athlete, University of Minnesota All–American and captain, and is currently the head coach for men's and women's track and cross country at Penn State University.
Paul Bengtson—Bengtson was a long–time teacher, coach, and School Board member in Hopkins Public Schools. He started the wrestling program and coached several state championship teams and individuals.
Louise Lang—Lang was a long–time teacher, coach, and athletic administrator in Hopkins Public Schools. She helped develop the girls athletic program with additional teams and opportunities for girls.
Pat Lanin—Lanin was a long–time District teacher and Nordic skiing and cross country coach. He developed Hopkins into a powerhouse in both programs. Lanin has already been inducted into the Coaches Hall of Fame.
Elmer Luke—Luke was a long–time teacher and coach who was responsible for turning Hopkins swimming into a powerhouse for many years. He still provides a scholarship to a graduating Hopkins swimmer each year. Luke also has been inducted into the Coaches Hall of Fame.
Bob Kempainen—Kempainen was a runner that held a Minnesota state high school record for many years. He competed in the Olympics, and is currently a physician at University Hospital.
Craig Lincoln—Lincoln was a Hopkins champion diver who also won a silver medal at the Olympics.
Deb Weinreis and Dee Weinreis—The Weinreis twins were a part of the original Hopkins girls programs and were outstanding athletes in several sports.
Terry Dillon (deceased)—Dillon was an outstanding Hopkins football player that went on to play for the Minnesota Vikings in the early 1960's until he was killed in a hunting accident.
Butsy Maetzold (deceased)—Maetzold was a legendary Hopkins football and basketball coach. He has been inducted into the Football Coaches Hall of Fame and the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) Hall of Fame.
The 2007 Hopkins Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be conducted at 1 p.m. Sunday, May 6, in the Hopkins High School dining area. A reception will follow

In research for a book I wrote about Grizzly football I noted that he died when the rig he was operating during bridge constuction over the Clark Fork west of Alberton went over the side with him on it.
#22 of course was retired in his memory and the top back each year is given the Terry Dillon award in his memory.
Mick

Terry was driving a self propelled cement mixer/pourer when it went off the bridge. I believe his body was found within two days. Rest in peace, old friend.

The Cats were sent scampering home with a 36-19 tin can tied to their tails.

Great line

Why is this article referring to Terry Dillon, MSU athlete and student? Hasn't anyone else noticed this?

UM used to be known as Montana State University. Bozeman was home to Montana State College...

They made those changes in 1965.

Really glad to see this post regarding Terry, particularly for the younger eGrizers. He was a star in the old Skyline Conference when the Griz had very few - the Ray Jenkins era. And he was just getting better and better with the Vikes. A great athlete and a clutch performer. Tom Hauck played with him.

Every Griz fan needs to appreciate #22....

"The first catalog in which we were called Montana State University, Missoula, was published in May 1935. On July 1, 1965, [we] became The University of Montana and Bozeman became Montana State University."

-- Chris Mullin, Special Collections, UM

www.umt.edu (lower right)

Bozgriz said:
UM used to be known as Montana State University. Bozeman was home to Montana State College...

The why do they get so pissy when someone refers to them as State? I can think of a lot worse things to call them.

My best memory of Terry Dillon on the field was at old Dornblaser (of course), against the Lobos of U of New Mexico. Would have been 1963, I think. Terry back to punt, (he was a real triple threat player, ran, passed, kicked AND played defense, at least thats the way I remember it), took the punt around the right end for a first down. I was down close enough to that play to see, hear, and feel the sheer guts and determination he had that NOBODY was going to stop him. Remember it like it was yesterday. I knew him personally and considered him a friend. Him a BMOC and me a nothing on campus. He was a down to earth real nice guy. Out of the numerous games I played against him on that old bowling machine down at the Candle I think I won once. He was one of those people that were just naturally good at anything physical. I also remember the east west shrine game and the thrill of his interception. As to the accident, the way I remember it is this. It was on that bridge just after the nine mile exit if you are headed west on I 90. That bridge is taller then it looks on the east end, for those who have never been under it. He was driving a cement buggy(a small kind of ATV sized thing with a hopper that is filled with concrete and driven out and dumped) when an axle broke and dropped the buggy onto the plank decking and broke it. He and the machine fell through to a river at spring runoff height. Some said they thought they saw him trying to swim afterwards, but who knows. Many, many, many people spent days seaching for him downstream to no avail. I believe his remains were recoverd near Lake Pend Oreille months later.

SEAKGriz said:
My best memory of Terry Dillon on the field was at old Dornblaser (of course), against the Lobos of U of New Mexico. Would have been 1963, I think. Terry back to punt, (he was a real triple threat player, ran, passed, kicked AND played defense, at least thats the way I remember it), took the punt around the right end for a first down. I was down close enough to that play to see, hear, and feel the sheer guts and determination he had that NOBODY was going to stop him. Remember it like it was yesterday. I knew him personally and considered him a friend. Him a BMOC and me a nothing on campus. He was a down to earth real nice guy. Out of the numerous games I played against him on that old bowling machine down at the Candle I think I won once. He was one of those people that were just naturally good at anything physical. I also remember the east west shrine game and the thrill of his interception. As to the accident, the way I remember it is this. It was on that bridge just after the nine mile exit if you are headed west on I 90. That bridge is taller then it looks on the east end, for those who have never been under it. He was driving a cement buggy(a small kind of ATV sized thing with a hopper that is filled with concrete and driven out and dumped) when an axle broke and dropped the buggy onto the plank decking and broke it. He and the machine fell through to a river at spring runoff height. Some said they thought they saw him trying to swim afterwards, but who knows. Many, many, many people spent days seaching for him downstream to no avail. I believe his remains were recoverd near Lake Pend Oreille months later.

I wish I had seen him play. I wonder if anyone has old footage they could transfer to a disc.

Back