• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cal Poly Satellite Coordinates

ronbo

TV Coordinates: Galaxy 16, Slot B18, downlink frequency 12029.000H, symbol rate 13.000, FEC 7/8, data rate 20.96 MBPS.

Question for the Satellite experts: I'm looking at the channel guide for Galaxy 16 which has many CBS feeds on LyngSat and I don't find the (12029 H frequency or slot 18). It goes from (12020 V, slot 16) to (12093 H, slot 19). I haven't aimed the dish to Galaxy 16 yet. Here are my questions: Will the frequency appear just before gametime because there is no use of it by anyone else? Why is it not listed? If I do a blind search will it come up? Any info will be appreciated.

Here is the LyngSat guide
http://www.lyngsat.com/galaxy16.html

ronbo said:
TV Coordinates: Galaxy 16, Slot B18, downlink frequency 12029.000H, symbol rate 13.000, FEC 7/8, data rate 20.96 MBPS.

Question for the Satellite experts: I'm looking at the channel guide for Galaxy 16 which has many CBS feeds on LyngSat and I don't find the (12029 H frequency or slot 18). It goes from (12020 V, slot 16) to (12093 H, slot 19). I haven't aimed the dish to Galaxy 16 yet. Here are my questions:

1. Will the frequency appear just before gametime because there is no use of it by anyone else?

The frequency will appear on your receiver around 10-30 minutes before game time. It will never appear in Lyngsat because it's not a regular feed.

2. Why is it not listed?

See above.

3. If I do a blind search will it come up?

Yes, within the time frames listed above. You'll need to guess when the downlink starts--they do some pre-game camera and announcer checks before the game starts, and your blind scan will find this if timed properly.

Any info will be appreciated.

Here is the LyngSat guide
http://www.lyngsat.com/galaxy16.html

The Griz Viewing Locations page has been updated with the Cal Poly coordinates:

http://www.vitarbordesign.com/Griz_Viewing_Locations.html

Note: The viewing locations listed are all from last year. Some may have changed for this season, and some others may not have the proper equipment to show the new, improved "HD" broadcast (whether or not it's truly HD remains to be seen--opinions vary on this--but the signal is definitely larger [more info being transmitted]). Call ahead to make sure your preferred viewing location can get the game for you before you head down there.

Not to be too nit picky--but the kickoff is at 1:00 PM, MDT, not MST. :cool: Still---AWESOME job Crunch! :thumb:

Hey Crunch, I have a new HD receiver that allows recording to an external hard drive. Any idea how much memory I need for a single game? Also do I need a USB3 cable given the extra memory requirements with the HD?

Thanks.

LostGriz said:
Hey Crunch, I have a new HD receiver that allows recording to an external hard drive. Any idea how much memory I need for a single game? Also do I need a USB3 cable given the extra memory requirements with the HD?

Thanks.

Not sure on either of these, as I haven't recorded a game yet. You'd have to make sure your recorder can even do USB3, though, before the USB3 cable would do you any good.

The size of the recording is dependent on the size of the picture recorded. If it's 720p, it's a certain size/hour (within a certain range, as the complexity of the images in the video make it larger; football games are on the large end of the range, as their images [frames] are composed of a lot of detail that doesn't lend itself to heavy compression); if it's 1080i, it's another size. You could look up the recording requirements for both of these sizes; it'll be one or the other if it's really HD.

LostGriz said:

Thanks.
You won't need USB3. Data compression will reduce the data rate down to USB2 speeds. I'd be shocked to see an FTA receiver with USB3 for a while.

For those of you with your own receivers or those who have contact with your local pub, you can get a jump on dialing in this satellite right now (although the exact transponder [station] won't be available until tomorrow). This will at least let you know that you're headed in the right direction (and at the right satellite).

There is a feed up called "KUTV DLPU" at Freq 12819, Pol V, SR 3978 on Galaxy 16. Dial this one in, and you have the right satellite.

This is a fairly difficult satellite on which to find signals, as there doesn't appear to be a regular KU FTA transponder on it, only feeds, which are very transitory. The KUTV feed I noted above may go away at any time.

If the KUTV signal goes away, look for Freq 12842, Pol H, SR 3978, which at this time has a weak signal of a test pattern from Ericsson Service.

Tell me about it. My strongest signals are Russian, Israel, and Belarus TV channels (70-90% signal strength - 73-74% signal quality) and they are all scrambled. I'm only getting 40% - 5% on those transponders you posted above.

ronbo said:
Tell me about it. My strongest signals are Russian, Israel, and Belarus TV channels (70-90% signal strength - 73-74% signal quality) and they are all scrambled. I'm only getting 40% - 5% on those transponders you posted above.

That's all I'm getting, too. Not to worry. As long as you're getting these transponders I've mentioned above, at least you know you're pointed at the right satellite. That's a big first step.

The Griz game should come in with a stronger signal tomorrow.

LostGriz said:

Thanks.

Roughly speaking a FULL 1080p HD recording is between 20-40GB

The DVRs used to record TV programming use various compression schemes like MPEG-4, Motion JPEG, VC2 etc. This is what determines how much space is used to record one hour of video. Once again roughly speaking, an MPEG-4 recording of one hour would be around 2.5GB.

One thing to remember is that if you shoot video with a true FULL HD camera the amount of information will be close to 40GB per hour. If you shoot it with a camcorder that is compressing the video to fit on a memory card or hard drive an hour of video may be closer to 20GB. Then when you record that to a DVR more compression (in the DVR) takes place and knocks that bit rate down even more.

For the most part figure about 5MB for a 2 hour DVD and you shouldnt be over in 95% of the things you record.

As far as your USB question......USB3 has a 10x Speed Increase Over USB 2.0 And 5 Gbps Data Rate but is only on some limited consumer products right now. USB3 is backwards compatible and will work with all USB2 devices.

One last thing, the satellite transponder the Griz game is on is a half transponder which as Crunch said will be tricky to find.

Is anyone by chance seeing a channel on Galaxy 16 called Vyvx Atlanta on 11801 6666 H3/4? I'm trying to figure out what sat. i'm on but can't find this channel on Lyngsat. Also, my receiver is listing the satellite at 99.2 degrees as Galaxy 4/4R instead of Galaxy 16. One in the same or not?

Back