• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

SATELLITE RECEPTION ISSUES FROM CAL POLY GAME

griz71

Many fans are only too well aware of the difficulties experienced last weekend in receiving the Cal Poly game--if at all. At Sluggers in Kirkland/Seattle we had 40-50 of our fans show up and we had to resort to our standy backup (laptop/internet/cable connection to the on-site HDTV) to receive the game. To be absolutely accurate, we used one fan's Smartphone/internet/cable connecter/HDTV combination this time. Unfortunately we have had to do this several times in the past, so we are familiar with the drill. And yes, we recognize our good fortune of having some keenly savvy technie geeks numbered amongst our fan base. Our backup worked for the second half after an unsuccessful first half at trying to dial in the signal. A combination of Sluggers staff and Griz fans were in contact with numerous other Griz sportsbars and private residence satellite owners throughout the West. We all exchanged information in an effort to help each other get the game . From our conversations with these folks and the postings on egriz, it appears that only a handfull of bars/taverns/private residences were able to dial in the game including sportsbars Busters in Eagle, ID and Dukes in Scottsdale, AZ and egriz.com's own GrislyFan in Portland. Even CrunchGriz (THE satellite guru of egriz.com) was unable to receive the signal. If any egrizzers (or others for that matter) have any tips or suggestions on what you did last week to successfully receive the signal, please share.

The Cal Poly game was broadcast by CW-TV and this week's game with Eastern will be broadcast by KPAX-TV who will do all of the remaining games televised this season except for one other by CW-TV. In the past there typically have been problems with the CW-TV signal and occassionally with KPAX. The bars/taverns/private residences have all spent substsantial hard-earned bucks investing in their equipment upgrades in order to receive the new HD broadcasts and should be be able to rely upon the satellite information provided to give their fans what they are there for. For those of us that have been doing this satellite gig for the last 20-plus years, we are familiar with gliches over this period. Moreover, when sites like the Swinging Doors in Spokane, Torrey Pines Pub in Las Vegas, and Sluggers in Kirkland--along with satellite-savvy folks like CrunchGriz-- (locations that have the skills, reputations, and track records for consistently receiving the satellite signals) are unable to dial in the broadcasts, clearly a grave problem exists and it needs timely resolution. If it doesn't get rectified, we seriously risk losing our credibility with the bar/tavern owners, not to mention substantially alienating our hugely loyal fan base of GrizNation. These businesses typically enjoy providing this product for us and we all know what opportunities they contain for Griz fans to network. We don't want to jeopardize these opportunites and the sportbars obviously don't want to lose the revenu stream. Reactions/Comments/Recommendations?

GO GRIZ!

It is not surprising that this happened with the coordinates being on a half-transponder. That is sometimes tricky to pick up even with broadcast quality downlink gear.

Bar owners usually go with a semi cheap receiver and dish set up and if they do get a signal like the one that was broadcast on Saturday its an accident. I have quite a bit of experience trying to get the Griz games in Boise at either Busters location and when games are broadcast on half transponders I dont ever remember getting one tuned in there.

The games uplinked by KPAX will be..........SHOULD be easier to pick up as they are on a full transponder and most receivers frequency plans will get you close enough that you can find the signal and then peak it out for the best video signal.

The problem you speak of isnt really a correctable one when there are so many factors at work in getting the signal to home dish users. Money being the biggest factor on both ends.

I failed to find the game as well, but sounds like there was some confusion about the satellite. Instead of Galaxy 16 (@99.2 W), which is where I was aimed, the game apparently was on AMC 16 (@85 W). I'm more optimistic this week.

GoGriz.com posted the wrong satellite. They posted Galaxy16, I know because I copied and pasted it here. Then when I was having trouble Saturday I went back to the site and BEHOLD it was changed to AMC16. Idiots.

The way I found the game was to enter the transponder information into my receiver and then slowly sweep my dish. It came in and was a pretty strong signal but I spend a ridiculous amount of time making sure my dish is well tuned. It is easy to set your dish up so you get a particular satellite but not be on the Clarke Belt where other satellites are. I know, this tripped me up until I really invested the time to get it right. I'd be glad to discuss this with anyone, anytime except 5 minutes before the game. That said, I will do it then too but not be really glad about it. I'd much rather do it before hand so on game day there is no disappointment. I know I have been there too several times and I will invest so that it doesn't happen to anyone else. Just PM me and I will even give you my cell phone so I can talk you through it.

I saw the whole game..........Seat 20 Row 11.......Sec 106

I am being a smart ass.......GO GRIZ......

I recorded it on my tv and it was great.........................

So it appears the sat. coordinates will be the same again (crap!) this week. The question is, will the game be on Galaxy 16 (99.2 W) or AMC 16 (85 W)? Can anyone please confirm the satellite?

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091311aab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Go Griz (9/13/11)
TV Coordinates: Galaxy 16, Slot B18, downlink frequency 12029.000H, symbol rate 13.000, FEC 7/8, data rate 20.96 MBPS

As published in Guffey's press release --

Coordinates for this Saturday:
Galaxy 16, Slot B18, downlink frequency 12029.000H, symbol rate 13.000, FEC 7/8, data rate 20.96 MBPS

BTW, at RT O'Sullivan's (Southern) in Mesa, AZ, our bar manager knew there was a problem before the game. He was talking with someone in Florida about it and we ended up watching the game through Big Sky TV on our big screen. That has happened in the past, but the quality was far better this time.

oGriz---sounds similar to what we did @ Sluggers in Kirkland--hopefully this week everything is on the up & up!

We got blown out in Denver at Brooklyn's too. Big bummer, I will keep the sat mixup in mind if we have this issue again.

I sent a message to the powers that be asking for clarification on the correct satellite for the Eastern Washington game, and just got back an email from Dave Guffey.

He says that this week's satellite is the same as last week's--i.e., AMC 16 (not Galaxy 16).

All other coordinates stay the same.

OK folks, anyone that wants to be sure to watch the game on Saturday, call your sports bar and get them to find the satellite in advance (hopefully the night before). If they aren't sure they have it then they can call me. PM me and I'll give you my contact information to give to them. Friday night after 7 Pacific Time I will be available to answer questions. I'll help them be sure their dish is pointed at the right satellite. That is about 90% of the problem most of the time.

To make sure you're on AMC 16 (formerly known as AMC 2 [it may show up on some receivers as AMC 2], at 85º W), you can either:

1. Blind scan AMC 16, or

2. Do a manual scan on the transponder that has the Echostar test card, at Freq 12034, SR 3979, Pol H.

If you can find a live transponder prior to game time using either of these methods, it will at least give you some confidence that you're on the right satellite, so when they do put the signal up on the listed coordinates at game time you can do the same drill one more time and get the game (either blind scan the whole satellite or do a manual scan on Freq 12029, Pol H, SR 13000).

Thanks Crunch. I am locked in on AMC16, Echostar test pattern at 71% picture quality. Hopefully this is right. Guffey keeps screwing up the satellite on his press releases and I think maybe he should be tested for early onset Alzheimers just to be on the safe side.

I'm dialed in to AMC 16--getting the Echostar test channel with good strength. Now the waiting game. I have to admit, I'm still kind of worried about not getting the game given the sat coordinates listed on the various websites still haven't been changed. Why don't they just set up a permanent Griz Channel on the FTA network. It'd be beautiful--same coordinates year after year.

The broadcast is locked in on AMC 16. Decent signal strength (71 signal, 49 quality). Yeah!

Much better picture than in previous years, faux HD or not.

I'm getting 81% and 63-71% picture quality and there is digital breakup Crunch. I don't get it. Anyone else getting digital lines and breakup?

I'm not getting any picture either. I was getting great sound at 44% quality and aligned my dish to its current 73% quality... still with no picture... just green and blue digital fuzz.

Has the feed changed to HD this season?

I've also lost the test card transmission completely which is strange.

Back