Capacity: 25,203

****************************Honorable Mentions****************************

Harvard, Harvard Stadium
Capacity: 30,323

Yale, Yale Bowl
Capacity: 61,446

Mcneese St., Cowboy Stadium
Capacity: 17,410

________________________________________________________________________________________

-Bottom 10 FCS Stadiums-

#10 Albany, University Field
Capacity: 10,000

#9 Rhode Island Rams, Meade Stadium
Capacity: 5,180

#8 Presbyterian, Bailey Memorial Stadium
Capacity: 6,500

#7 Prairie View A&M, Edward L. Blackshear Field
Capacity: 6,000

#6 Sacred Heart, Campus Field
Capacity: 3,334

#5 Duquesne, Arthur J. Rooney Athletic Field
Capacity: 4,500

#4 Campbell, Barker–Lane Stadium
Capacity: 5,000

#3 Georgetown, Multi-Sport Field
Capacity: 2500

#2 Charleston Southern, Buccaneer Field
Capacity: 4,000

#1 Jacksonville, D. B. Milne Field
Capacity: 5,000
Last edited by pussycatkillerz on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unwrittengriz
eGriz Club

I think #2 from your list is actually Charleston Southern of the Big South, not "Southern" of the SWAC.
pussycatkillerz
eGriz Club

Unwrittengriz wrote:I think #2 from your list is actually Charleston Southern of the Big South, not "Southern" of the SWAC.
Fixed* Thanks
wbtfg

PSU may have the nicest stadium in the big sky.
“He has the physical ability, plus that intangible you can’t coach — leadership skill,” Reid said. “You can’t always find it. But you feel lucky when you find someone who has it. He has it all. He’s Dave Dickenson — one of greatest quarterbacks we’ve had here — in a bigger, stronger, more athletic body. That’s Travis Lulay.”
Unwrittengriz
eGriz Club

wbtfg wrote:PSU may have the nicest stadium in the big sky.
For soccer or baseball maybe, but it sucks for football.
pussycatkillerz
eGriz Club

Thats what you get when a baseball stadium f###[#] a soccer field.....isn't even making my top 15
PlayerRep

Thanks for doing this.

Here's some stadium history. Harvard stadium in 1903 was the first stadium built for football. Franklin Field in Philly was built in 1895, but was used for other things, and the original stadium was replaced over the turn of the century. It is believed that more football games have been played at Franklin Field than anywhere else. I would include Franklin Field (Penn) up there with Harvard and Yale stadiums. Palmer stadium/Princeton, which has been tore down, was a great stadium too.

The Yale Bowl used to seat over 70,000. Harvard once seated 57,000. Franklin Field 78,000. NFL teams have played in each of those stadiums at various times including as late as the early 70's. Palmer seated almost 50,000.

The standard width of the football field is what it is (an odd number), because that was a wide as it could be due to the concrete horseshoe bowl at Harvard stadium. Walter Camp wanted to widen the field to cut down on injuries, by 40 feet, but it could only be as wide as it is now. Football used to have a huge amount of deaths each year, in the old days (like turn of the century). Instead the forward pass was invented in 1906.

There is a lot of history in those 4 stadiums, as well as alot of good memories for this poster. I played a total of 9 times in those 3 stadiums. Dartmouth used to play at Harvard and Yale every year back in the day.
kurtismichael

PlayerRep wrote:Thanks for doing this.

Here's some stadium history. Harvard stadium in 1903 was the first stadium built for football. Franklin Field in Philly was built in 1895, but was used for other things, and the original stadium was replaced over the turn of the century. It is believed that more football games have been played at Franklin Field than anywhere else. I would include Franklin Field (Penn) up there with Harvard and Yale stadiums. Palmer stadium/Princeton, which has been tore down, was a great stadium too.

The Yale Bowl used to seat over 70,000. Harvard once seated 57,000. Franklin Field 78,000. NFL teams have played in each of those stadiums at various times including as late as the early 70's. Palmer seated almost 50,000.

The standard width of the football field is what it is (an odd number), because that was a wide as it could be due to the concrete horseshoe bowl at Harvard stadium. Walter Camp wanted to widen the field to cut down on injuries, by 40 feet, but it could only be as wide as it is now. Football used to have a huge amount of deaths each year, in the old days (like turn of the century). Instead the forward pass was invented in 1906.

There is a lot of history in those 4 stadiums, as well as alot of good memories for this poster. I played a total of 9 times in those 3 stadiums. Dartmouth used to play at Harvard and Yale every year back in the day.

Cool.
"Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken." Yogi Berra
mtgrizrule

WAGRIZ aside, I really like the Yale Bowl. I wish there was a better picture for it.
Thank you all. God Bless every soldier fighting for our country!!!!
indian-outlaw

I agree, I think it's the best one in the conference as well.
"If you get to thinking' you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around" Will Rogers
HighLineGRIZ

Great work! Really enjoyed your list. The Ivy League stadiums are really cool just because of how significant they are to the history of the game. Those stadiums are really where the game of football was engineered and how it has become the game it is today.
pussycatkillerz
eGriz Club

mtgrizrule wrote:WAGRIZ aside, I really like the Yale Bowl. I wish there was a better picture for it.
It definitely has a very cool old school look.

mtgrizrule

pussycatkillerz wrote:
mtgrizrule wrote:WAGRIZ aside, I really like the Yale Bowl. I wish there was a better picture for it.
It definitely has a very cool old school look.

Much better. :thumb:
pussycatkillerz
eGriz Club

Georgetown has a gorgeous campus. Looks like freaking Hogwarts.
If they improved their stadium that would be a neat atmosphere.
kurtismichael

Waiting for Screamin Eagle to show up and ask why EWU's stadium was left off the list.....waiting......still waiting......and still waiting...... :coffee:
"Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken." Yogi Berra
mtgrizrule

kurtismichael wrote:Waiting for Screamin Eagle to show up and ask why EWU's stadium was left off the list.....waiting......still waiting......and still waiting...... :coffee:

I think he knows they would be put on the bottom list here. I hope he is smart enough to not go there. I do like EWU's program and fans though. :thumb:
kurtismichael

mtgrizrule wrote:
kurtismichael wrote:Waiting for Screamin Eagle to show up and ask why EWU's stadium was left off the list.....waiting......still waiting......and still waiting...... :coffee:

I think he knows they would be put on the bottom list here. I hope he is smart enough to not go there. I do like EWU's program and fans though. :thumb:

That tomato sauce field of theirs certainly hasn't been kind to the Griz so far.
DoubleNicks

Though it doesn't hold quite as much as others, I've always liked the look and design of Cal Poly's Alex G. Spanos Stadium.
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... dakota.jpg
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... poly-3.jpg

Georgia State has a pretty nice stadium (capacity: 71,228), although they share the Georgia Dome with the Atlanta Falcons (and are planning on moving to FBS)...
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... Dome-1.jpg
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... Dome-3.jpg

For those wanting to see more, Chris' other site, championshipsubdivision.com, has a pretty great resource/database of the FCS teams and their stadiums.
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... directory/
pussycatkillerz
eGriz Club

DoubleNicks wrote:Though it doesn't hold quite as much as others, I've always liked the look and design of Cal Poly's Alex G. Spanos Stadium.
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... dakota.jpg
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... poly-3.jpg
I contemplated putting Alex G. Spanos Stadium on my top 10.
It's definitely a top 20 stadium.
'68griz

This is a fun and interesting thread. Thanks!