• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What if Montana was in the MWC?

ordigger

DONOR
If anyone noticed in the basketball forum, I posted about a game that allows replays based on actually statistics. From what I'm seeing so far, the game play is actually fairly consistent and "believable"

So here's the scenario. I was able to purchase all FBS schools from last year (2013), plus for FCS the top 20, the Big Sky, the MVC, the Southern and the Colonial are all available. Lots of different things to do, but I've decided to go with

What if the Grizzlies played in the MWC last year?

There are currently 12 teams in the MWC - in our fantasy scenario we can keep 12 if we wish, and kick out a couple. Or we can expand to 14.

Current MWC lineup is...
West Division
Fresno State, San Diego State, San Jose State, UNLV, Nevada & Hawaii.

Mountain Division
Utah State, Boise State, Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, New Mexico.

So what do we do? I'm looking for input on how to setup a MWC (or teams in it) into a league that includes some regional FCS, perhaps should be FBS schools. Where do the Griz fit? Does MSU go with the Griz? Should we add NDSU? And if we do, should SDSU go with them? How about the two former WAC schools that were independents (Idaho & New Mexico State) last year. Should we add them?

Here's on scenario...lets boot the California schools & Hawaii from the West Division in the MWC. And take some other teams, and piece together a MWC West & East that would be more traditional.

MW West (this division would reunite UM & MSU with former BSC foes)
Montana, Idaho, Utah State, Boise State, Montana State, UNLV, Nevada

MW East (this divison would allow the front range schools to remain together)
Air Force, New Mexico, Colorado State, New Mexico State, UTEP, North Dakota State, Wyoming

For any FCS schools we add, I'll have to create a more FBS friendly non-conference schedule. So if we don't take the Bobcats, then that would have to be a non-conference game. If we do, maybe EWU can be a play down game for us.

So for now, I'm just looking for input to get the league and divisions set up. Then at the end of the current season, we can have the Grizzlies replay their 2013 season as a member of the new Mountain West Conference. If mods are willing, I can then post general writeups, stats, box scores, etc. Not sure which forum it should go in, but would be nice if allowed to be in this one. I'm playing the season no matter what, but for fun it would be nice to share PLUS give us all some entertainment in the off season. At the end of the fantasy season, the winners of the two divisions would meet for the MW Championship.

Boot the cali schiools?. Are you on crack?

New mexico state and idaho??? Ewwwww

Give up games in prime recruiting ground for fffing fargo?

Going to move forward with this idea in the off season. Didn't seem much interest when I posted, but hey it'll be fun....and I can do it anyway.

-- Going to "expand" the MWC to 14 teams
-- adding the Griz and North Dakota State

I thought about adding EWU, MSU or Idaho also but didn't want to recreate the wheel to much. Gave some serious thought to dropping Hawaii, and taking one of those 3 but again why do that?

-- Going to use another leagues schedule, for the conference games. Will use existing MWC teams actual non conference. Need to "write" non conference schedules for the Griz and Bison. Each will get a FCS game (for MT obviously MSU), a home/road game vs a lower tier FBS, and a money game against a major conference foe....I'll look at traditional foes (meaning PAC-12 schools for Montana).

So for the Griz.....
@ home vs MSU
@ home vs Idaho
@ Sun Belt (GSU or ASU)
@Oregon State

And for NDSU
@ home vs EWU
@ home vs a C-USA or Sun Belt school
@ road vs MAC or C-USA
@ road vs a Big 10 or Big 12 school

Now I just have to decide to us the 2013 season or the most recent season (or both!). Recent season is not out yet.

And have to work NDSU in - maybe bump New Mexico to the "west" of even just put NDSU there

West Division
Fresno State, San Diego State, San Jose State, UNLV, Nevada & Hawaii.

Mountain Division
Utah State, Boise State, Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, New Mexico, Montana

Here is Montana's Fantasy MWC Schedule.

I used the 14 team ACC 2014 schedule to write.....for the draw Montana got Virginia's schedule which is how I determined bye weeks, home games etc.

Week 1 (Aug 30) @ Oregon State
Week 2 (Sept 6) vs Idaho
Week 3 (Sept 13) vs Nevada
Week 4 (Sept 20) @ U Mass
Week 5 (Sept 27) vs Montana State
Week 6 (Oct 4) vs Air Force
Week 7 (Oct 11) Bye
Week 8 (Oct 18) @ Colorado State
Week 9 (Oct 25) vs Utah State
Week 10 (Nov 1) @ Boise State
Week 11 (Nov 8) @ Fresno State
Week 12 (Nov 15) Bye
Week 13 (Nov 22) vs Wyoming
Week 14 (Nov 29) @ North Dakota State

Here is NDSU's Fantasy MWC Schedule.

I used the 14 team ACC 2014 schedule to write.....for the draw NDSU got Virginia Tech's schedule which is how I determined bye weeks, home games etc.

Week 1 (Aug 30) vs Eastern Washington
Week 2 (Sept 6) at Wisconsin
Week 3 (Sept 13) vs Central Michigan
Week 4 (Sept 20) vs Boise St
Week 5 (Sept 27) at Texas-San Antonio
Week 6 (Oct 4) at Utah State
Week 7 (Oct 11) Bye
Week 8 (Oct 18) @ Air Force
Week 9 (Oct 25) vs Wyoming
Week 10 (Nov 1) vs Hawaii
Week 11 (Nov 8) Bye
Week 12 (Nov 15) at Colorado State
Week 13 (Nov 22) at UNLV
Week 14 (Nov 29) vs Montana

ordigger said:

I used the 14 team ACC 2014 schedule to write.....for the draw Montana got Virginia's schedule which is how I determined bye weeks, home games etc.

Week 2 (Sept 6) vs Idaho
Week 7 (Oct 11) Bye
Week 12 (Nov 15) Bye

I would find some reason....ANY reason to move back to Missoula if this were to happen. :clap: :clap: :clap:

ordigger said:

I used the 14 team ACC 2014 schedule to write.....for the draw NDSU got Virginia Tech's schedule which is how I determined bye weeks, home games etc.

Week 7 (Oct 11) Bye
Week 11 (Nov 8) Bye
Week 13 (Nov 22) at UNLV

Regarding your fantasy schedule, in the years a team doesn't play Hawaii, would there be only 11 games ? Or do FBS teams always play 12 ?

AZGrizFan said:
ordigger said:

Week 2 (Sept 6) vs Idaho
Week 7 (Oct 11) Bye
Week 12 (Nov 15) Bye

I would find some reason....ANY reason to move back to Missoula if this were to happen. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now THIS would be a great schedule!

Lakerhater said:
ordigger said:

Week 7 (Oct 11) Bye
Week 11 (Nov 8) Bye
Week 13 (Nov 22) at UNLV

Regarding your fantasy schedule, in the years a team doesn't play Hawaii, would there be only 11 games ? Or do FBS teams always play 12 ?

The ACC teams all had 12 this year, and that was the schedule I used as the guideline. For out of conference games I put teams in hat and drew.

For Montana
--PAC12 schools (either WSU, OSU or UW) - all regional rivalries
--MSU was obvious "play down" game
--Sun Belt/MAC (UMass, AppSt or GSU) -
--Idaho picked as former rival now FBS

For NDSU
--FBS majors (either Minn, Wisc or Iowa)
--EWU for their "play down game" - gave thought to replacing Hawaii with EWU but didnt
-- a regional pick from cold state (Central Mich, West Mich or Ball State)
--Picked UTSA as a recent FCS move up to match what I did for the Griz with UMass

Computer coaches will play the games, but I'll do "write ups" and post the box score for Griz games, maybe NDSU if some want. Should start next week I'm thinking.

Most wont care, but something to relieve our boredom until signing day.

btw - Game I'm using is Action! PC Football

Lakerhater said:
ordigger said:

Week 7 (Oct 11) Bye
Week 11 (Nov 8) Bye
Week 13 (Nov 22) at UNLV

FBS always has a 12 game regular season schedule

Back