• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Five Beers to Try Before I Die

Tried to provide variety. Failed.

1. Beachwood/Stone/Heretic - Unapologetic IPA
2. Riip Brewing - Billy the Redbeard
3. Lagunitas - Shut-Down Ale (just for the story)
4. Russian River - Pliny the Elder
5. Russian River - Pliny the Younger

1 to 5: Great Lakes Brewing Company: Christmas Ale. Try it plain and then try it with the lip of your glass dusted in cinnamon and sugar.

EverettGriz said:
(mods, football related in that without beer, there is no football).

I enjoy football just perfectly fine without beer. Hate the stuff, and don't drink it. There are no 5 Beers I give a rats ass about.

Griz!ron said:
Polish beer, really, it is very good. You won't be able to pronounce the name though.
Budweiser for me. Closest domestic beer to the Germans. When in Prague, discovered Staropramen. Delightful, but rare in U.S. The original Budweiser was brewed in the Czech Republic.

Pliny the elder and especially Pliny the youngster are very tough to come by. I had a buddy buy a six pack of the elder and I think it was like 70 bucks a bottle maybe more.

Grizzoola said:
Griz!ron said:
Polish beer, really, it is very good. You won't be able to pronounce the name though.
Budweiser for me. Closest domestic beer to the Germans. When in Prague, discovered Staropramen. Delightful, but rare in U.S. The original Budweiser was brewed in the Czech Republic.

Ah, a man of class and distinction but the Belgium's make the best.

CDAGRIZ said:

Had Pliny the Elder a few weeks ago. You'd move it up to #1 on your list. Smoothest IPA I've ever had. Lagunitas' Shut Down is another great one too.

MrTitleist said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Had Pliny the Elder a few weeks ago. You'd move it up to #1 on your list. Smoothest IPA I've ever had. Lagunitas' Shut Down is another great one too.

Totally. I wasn't going in order of merit. Elder might be my favorite beer ever.

grizaremoregooder said:
Pliny the elder and especially Pliny the youngster are very tough to come by. I had a buddy buy a six pack of the elder and I think it was like 70 bucks a bottle maybe more.

Whoa! I'm in the wrong business if that is true. Elder is on tap for $6 all around me. I think Total Wine and BevMo sell it for reasonable prices in bottles, as well. The Younger is very tough to come by. I bought a damned raffle ticket to get it once. Limit one pint per customer. Wife had to wait in the car.

grizaremoregooder said:
Seemed overrated when I tried the elder.

Proud Griz Man said:
grizaremoregooder said:
Seemed overrated when I tried the elder.

That's kinda their gig. Restrict supply to create the demand. I'm not a huge fan a the brewery, but I still think the Elder is my favorite beer. There is a gastro across the street from my house, and the owner told me RR stopped distributing to him because he also served American light lagers. They couldn't be further up their own assess.

Back