• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kaimin Mending Fences

get'em_griz

DONOR
Or not... from today's print.

2e7cc2764ee051f54b7b1e19d13f593d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an alum of UM, I am often have been disappointed in the Kaimin the last few years. Often do far more to hurt the University, than to help it.

I quote this fine bit of journalism: "Stitt, however, did not happen for long."

Just skimmed through it quickly. Seemed to be a little less lopsided that what the Missoulian allowed Kato to put out.

Ursus1 said:
As an alum of UM, I am often have been disappointed in the Kaimin the last few years. Often do far more to hurt the University, than to help it.

This isn't the football loving town it used to be.

At what point does the University reel in the Kaimin? At this point they are not reporting facts, and are of no use to the university, students, or alumni.

GrizMusician said:
At what point does the University reel in the Kaimin? At this point they are not reporting facts, and are of no use to the university, students, or alumni.

Have to make some command decisions very soon...shortly after the new year I suspect. This school needs purged of biased psuedo-journalism and return to it's vision, mission and values. Reporting. Leave the creative fiction and nonfiction to the English Department.

I don't think anyone should be surprised that UM journalists harbor some skepticism about Hauck. I think that this will die down once the new season gets underway. I really hope the players understand the extra scrutiny they will be under as some people will be waiting for them to do something stupid on Bobby's watch.

I really wish that AG1 would not have responded as he did to the petition. Most people don't know to differenciate one Griz forum from another so it makes all of us look bad.

Shout out to kemajic for making it into the article.

One thing I forgot to address: Beau Donaldson

There really was no discernable reason for Hauck NOT to recruit Beau when he did. By all appearances, he was a "good kid" - a Montana boy from a good family. Appearances were wrong, but people who are capable of raping someone - especially a friend, typically come across as respectable; often charismatic. They are very good at keeping the predatory part of themselves compartmentalized and hidden.

It's unfair to suggest that Hauck should have predicted something about Beau that those closest to him didn't even know.

Would like for the Kaiman to continue to be a campus entity and they certainly they dont need to kiss anyone's ass. They do have to remember that even for them there are repercussions for behavior and actions. There is certainly an agenda here led by or at least endorsed by the faculty. They look to be trying to make a point and purposely induce a confrontation which I assume they think they can win. Maybe they are all tenured and feel they can kind of get away with whatever they want. Whether they believe it or not the football program is an educational program as well. Many of these players want to go on to be professional athletes and coaches which also require education learned while playing football. Many are good students and plan to pursue other careers when their football career is over. The Kaiman is no more honorable of an endeavor than is playing football. If it comes down to football or the Kaiman I think the Kaiman will lose out. I really hope they arent trying to push it to that point.

My view is that the Kaimin and the 4 who wrote this article don't have a clue, have an axe to grind, and are little shitheads.

They're still bringing up Jimmy Wilson and blaming Hauck. For what? The guy was defended his aunt, was acquitted, allowed back to UM, drafted, played in the NFL, and didn't get into trouble.

The article has some mistakes, or things that I consider a mistake. How can the Kaimin discuss that a player was arrested at throwing a beer bottle at a woman, and then not say that the player was acquitted at trial. Even the Missoulian article, as bas as it was, said the guy was acquitted.

Chris Jones, the guy who was the visitor at the Kaimin in 2009, is quoted as saying Hauck's behavior was "reprehensible". He also says Hauck "brought a lot of bad people to Missoula, and, as far as he could tell, there was zero accountability."

Hauck's behavior wasn't reprehensible. No way. Not perfect, but nothing close to reprehensible. I'd love for Jones to list all the bad people Hauck brought to Missoula in his 7 years. Then, I could summarize what they are doing now. Some are in law enforcement.

Zero accountability? Huh. Hauck was a huge disciplinarian and there was huge accountability. When there was a serious problem with the law, Hauck kicked them off the team promptly. Is that not accountability?

Jones is so off-base with his comments.

What is reprehensible is Jones' unsupported statements, and his lack of accountability. He just made up this stuff. With a guy like that advising the Kaimin, no wonder the Kaimin has produced so many of these little whining, obnoxious, shitheads.

"His successor and former wide receiver coach, Robin Pflugrad, was fired in 2012 during the height of the sexual assault scandal."

Not to turn a blind eye, because this is a serious issue that affects institutions across the entire country but what did this "sexual assault scandal" actually consist of? Seriously. Scandal. Rape Nation. Hoodlums or thugs.

These are labels the media loves to use but peel back the layers. Ignore the rumors and what supposed "common knowledge" around town was. Stick to the facts and explain why this time period is being referred to as "the height of the sexual assault scandal."

(Other than it's what readers love to hear. A scandal. Oh the humanity!

AG1 wrote a real interesting article at MaroonBlood about the rape culture in Missoula. It is worth taking a minute to read it.

signedbewildered said:
Ursus1 said:

Nope. It’s full of crossbred California liberalism. Where feelings are more important than facts.

mega mauler said:
AG1 wrote a real interesting article at MaroonBlood about the rape culture in Missoula. It is worth taking a minute to read it.

To give AG1's post on MaroonBlood some credence, I'd have put "lack of rape culture" or something similar in there. :thumb:

I am thinking my next donation to U of M will have "$0 to School of Journalism" written in the memo.

Maybe it's time there was a pro-Griz publication that could counter all the anti Griz media that try's to influence the Missoula community into feeling negatively towards the football team, usually with false statements. Maybe there's a couple journalistic types on here that could come up with some positive "propaganda" and counter and call out some of the lies that the Missoulian and Kaimin are trying to spread. As of now, only the true Griz fans know the truth and the uninformed fair weather fans will be persuaded by the negative stories that are published.

RobGriz said:
signedbewildered said:
Ursus1 said:

Nope. It’s full of crossbred California liberalism. Where feelings are more important than facts.

:clap: :thumb:

cmtgrizzly said:
Would like for the Kaiman to continue to be a campus entity and they certainly they dont need to kiss anyone's ass. They do have to remember that even for them there are repercussions for behavior and actions. There is certainly an agenda here led by or at least endorsed by the faculty. They look to be trying to make a point and purposely induce a confrontation which I assume they think they can win. Maybe they are all tenured and feel they can kind of get away with whatever they want. Whether they believe it or not the football program is an educational program as well. Many of these players want to go on to be professional athletes and coaches which also require education learned while playing football. Many are good students and plan to pursue other careers when their football career is over. The Kaiman is no more honorable of an endeavor than is playing football. If it comes down to football or the Kaiman I think the Kaiman will lose out. I really hope they arent trying to push it to that point.
An accurate assessment, by and large. From my "geezer" perspective, the problem with professional journalism (which I have studied extensively, as a writer but an outsider) all took off when Woodward and Bernstein (basically) brought down President Nixon (whose overall accomplishments, will, I think, be judged more positively by history than the media). Journalists have always been infatuated with scoring the next big scoop. For a mundane example, think of the hero in the movie It Happened One Night. His motive changed, but they started when he realized he had a “scoop” about a huge celebrity of the day.

But ever since W&B, a lot of journalists have been looking even harder than ever for the next scandal (real or manufactured) that will plaster their name in the headlines -- which will, basically, make them “part of the news.” A lot of “reportage” today belongs on what used to be the Editorial page. And, it seems to me, journalism schools have encouraged that attitude.

Loved the Opinion blurb on the lower right of the first page: “Combatting seasonal depression with Hot Pockets”

Solid journalism.

Back