• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kraig Paulson for DC?

Brother Bear

Thoughts? He was an original band member :)

-----------------------
Paulson returned to Montana as defensive coordinator from 2004-09, winning six-straight conference championships and advancing to the national championship game three times. During his second stint at Montana, the Grizzlies went 71-13 overall, 34-4 in the Big Sky, and 11-6 in the playoffs. He earned the All-American Football Foundation Assistant Coach Award in 2006.

Kraig Paulson is in his second season as Saluki Football's assistant head coach and defensive coordinator. Paulson, who also coaches linebackers at SIU, has nearly 30 years of collegiate coaching experience and has been one of the best defensive coordinators in the FCS over the past 15 seasons.

Paulson was hired as part of Nick Hill's inagural staff at SIU in 2016, and his presence was felt immediately at SIU. The Salukis improved dramatically in nearly every defensive statistical category from 2015. SIU allowed 75 fewer yards per game on the ground and four fewer points per game than in 2015. Southern's 12 interceptions in 2016 were the most for the program in five seasons. The Salukis led the MVFC and ranked 11th nationally in red zone defense in 2016. His defensive unit showed this improvement despite being one of the youngest defenses in the league with only two senior starters.

http://siusalukis.com/staff.aspx?staff=240

Some people on Egriz will openly not want Kraig back I’m sure. Nobody thinks about the fact that both Bobby and Kraig have both learned a lot since they were last coaches at UM. I would gladly welcome the original #37 back!!!!

Likely a lateral move. Probably makes more where he is at. Doesn't make sense unless he is wants to come back to Montana.

The original bend but don’t break coach. He’s at least experienced and not green. Again he’s not a terrible choice. He’s an alum and loves UM. I thought we might be able to lure a Thompson, Gregorak or Breske but I think I had too high of hopes. At this point I hope we get the SDSU guy but I suppose I’ll settle for Paulson. Better than an unknown like Semore was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
The original bend but don’t break coach.

Yes, and like you mention... has tons of experience, knows Montana, knows the conference and has worked with Bobby before. He knows the expectations at UM. I think stability is good for UM right now. Kraig is a former Griz. Loves the Griz. A former #37. It actually makes a lot of sense "fit" wise with the staff as well. The SDSU guy would likely only be here a few years anyway and then catch on with a FBS staff in larger role. While it might not be a "sexy" hire, it would be a very solid hire and I personally think he could do a great job. While some may say this a lateral move, i think working at UM is a step up from Southern Illinois and who wouldn't want to live in Missoula. :thumb: Sometimes when you love the place or people you work for, it outweighs the amount of money you can make.

Missoula and the Griz or Carbondale and the Egyptian racing dogs? No brainer in my humble opinion.

Go Griz!

Maul'em!

Brother Bear said:
.... who wouldn't want to live in Missoula. :thumb: Sometimes when you love the place or people you work for, it outweighs the amount of money you can make.
I wouldn't. At least not inside city limits. Close enough on the east side of town to commute into work at UM, though? Ya. Sign me up for that! ;)

Yes Kraig Paulson would be nice.. If Gregorac 's name is even mentioned I WILL BURN WGS down!!! :( :(
Breske would be nice as well... Screw TG he's a fricken Smellykat!!!They went 5-6 what's to like? :( :(

KP would be good. Zack Arnett would be best if Bobby can get him up here? Linebackers coach at San Diego State = football genius with academics a top priority.. Keep your fingers crossed with this guy he's the real deal! Go Griz! He probably will not commit until after their bowl game with Army??? Go Griz!

What's the difference between the defensive styles of Kraig Paulson against Massachusetts and Jason Semore against the boobcittens?

WyomingGrizFan said:
What's the difference between the defensive styles of Kraig Paulson against Massachusetts and Jason Semore against the boobcittens?

:eek: can’t wait to hear the responses! :lol:

Brother Bear said:
Thoughts? He was an original band member :)

-----------------------
Paulson returned to Montana as defensive coordinator from 2004-09, winning six-straight conference championships and advancing to the national championship game three times. During his second stint at Montana, the Grizzlies went 71-13 overall, 34-4 in the Big Sky, and 11-6 in the playoffs. He earned the All-American Football Foundation Assistant Coach Award in 2006.

Kraig Paulson is in his second season as Saluki Football's assistant head coach and defensive coordinator. Paulson, who also coaches linebackers at SIU, has nearly 30 years of collegiate coaching experience and has been one of the best defensive coordinators in the FCS over the past 15 seasons.

Paulson was hired as part of Nick Hill's inagural staff at SIU in 2016, and his presence was felt immediately at SIU. The Salukis improved dramatically in nearly every defensive statistical category from 2015. SIU allowed 75 fewer yards per game on the ground and four fewer points per game than in 2015. Southern's 12 interceptions in 2016 were the most for the program in five seasons. The Salukis led the MVFC and ranked 11th nationally in red zone defense in 2016. His defensive unit showed this improvement despite being one of the youngest defenses in the league with only two senior starters.

http://siusalukis.com/staff.aspx?staff=240
Kraig, is that you? Nice program bio, but I just looked up your statistics and they're Seymore quality grade D terrible.
But I do hope you return to Montana after you retire.

Hey. If Craig did come back I could let him know I still have the Tony Lamas he gave me when he moved out of his apartment on University Ave.

WyomingGrizFan said:

Not going to speak about "style" as much as I am about results...which in the long run are more important than style I'd say :)

One big difference is the level of competition they were facing. The cats were 4-6 at the time. UMass was 12-1 and it was in the semi-finals.

Another big difference is the Griz D gave up 31 to the 4-6 cats & the Griz D gave up only 17 vs UMass, a very good playoff team that averaged nearly 30 points a game.

The problem in the UMass game wasn't our defense, it was our offense's inability to do much of anything in that game. Our offense scored 10 points total and gave up 2 points (a safety) to the other team. Our defense scored 7 (on a pick 6) and gave up 17.

Here's another big difference between Paulson's defense (in the year we lost to UMass) and Semore's this year. Look at how they ranked per game compared to other Big Sky teams. While they both seemed kind of bend but don't break (though Semore's broke a lot), under Paulson we actually weren't all that bendy either.

2006 - 14 games (10-1 regular season, 8-0 in the Big Sky, #1 in the Big Sky, 2-1 in the playoffs)
Scoring Defense: #1 (16.1)
Rushing Defense: #1 (139.4)
Pass Defense: #1 (159.6)
Total Defense: #1 (266.4)
Pass Eff Defense: #2 (100.8)
Sacks: #1 (35)
Turnovers Gained: #2 (30 takeaways, 19 int, 11 fumbles)
Turnover Margin: #2 (30 gained, 23 lost, +7)

2017 - 11 games (6-5 regular season, 5-3 in the Big Sky, #7 in the Big Sky, no playoffs)
Scoring Defense: #4 (29.0)
Rushing Defense: #6 (169.5)
Passing Defense: #7 (252.5)
Total Defense: #6 (422.1)
Pass Eff Defense: #3 (121.9)
Sacks: #3 (39)
Turnovers: Tied #3 (23, 16 int, 7 fumbles)
Turnover Margin: #9 (23 gained, 26 lost)

-----

Not going to compare all the stats for all their years, but if you look at Scoring Defense alone, the Griz were ranked #1 in scoring defense and gave up under 20 points per game (as low as 14.8 per game in 2007) in EVERY YEAR under Paulson except his first when the Griz were #2 and gave up 22.6 points per game.

Under Paulson the Griz always had one of the toughest defenses in the Big Sky, caused a LOT of turnovers (#1 in takeaways 4 out of 6 years, the 2 years we weren't we were #2 in takeaways), were in the playoffs every year, and won a LOT of games. I'd be happy with him or Breske back. Would be fine with Arnett too. With how good the Griz were on D under Hauck we can probably trust him to make a good choice on who his DC will be.

i_the_sky said:
KP would be good. Zack Arnett would be best if Bobby can get him up here? Linebackers coach at San Diego State = football genius with academics a top priority.. Keep your fingers crossed with this guy he's the real deal! Go Griz! He probably will not commit until after their bowl game with Army??? Go Griz!

Just curious what leads you to think that a guy that’s never been a DC would be a good DC? Being a good position coach doesn’t necessarily translate to being a good coordinator. IMO

Back