Open Practices

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
Colin Bonnicksen

Open Practices

Post by Colin Bonnicksen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 am

Hello E-Grizzers --

It was brought to the coaching staff's attention that there has been some talk of personnel, formations and injuries on this board in regards to what has been seen at practice.

While we love the enthusiasm our fans have shown, please understand that we do not want any of this information getting on the internet. We also have "No Cell Phone Use" signs up and around the stadium for the same reasons.

Should this continue, we will be forced to close practices moving forward. We don't want that, and you don't want that, so lets make sure it doesn't come to that point.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. I hope to see all of you at practices in the future and on behalf of the entire coaching staff I want to thank you for your past and continued support of this program.

-- Go Griz! RTD!

Colin Bonnicksen
Director of Football Operations

AZDoc

Re: Open Practices

Post by AZDoc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:10 am

Uh...
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool-Bill Shakespeare
What a Fool Believes-The Doobie Brothers

HookedonGriz
eGriz Club

Post by HookedonGriz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:13 am

Whoopsy Griz Nation. Well I think we'd be smart to just continue our speculation, rumors, and fake enthusiasm instead :). Don't need to get practices shut down!

BadlandsGrizFan

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:15 am

You got it all wrong Colin...egriz is a misinformation tool....much like what the Russians do....USE USSSSSSSS
Montana is no place for the idler, the penniless, the feeble in will or body!

bgbigdog
eGriz Club

Post by bgbigdog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:23 am

Last one out, turn off the lights.
“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.” Groucho Marx.

grizcountry420

Post by grizcountry420 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 am

HelenaHandBasket

Post by HelenaHandBasket » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 am

Just close them already and quit with the dog and pony show.

signedbewildered
eGriz Club

Post by signedbewildered » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:14 am

You should be thanking us. By the time the information cycles through here it isn't anywhere close to what is occurring in the practices.

You want to throw off the opponents, hand out free hotdogs to any EGrizzers that show up at practice and encourage them to use social media about what they saw.

I promise I won't share (the hotdogs) with the players, cause that's just not ethical.

alabamagrizzly

Post by alabamagrizzly » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:17 am

HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 am
Just close them already and quit with the dog and pony show.

Ya, if you don’t want eGriz to talk about the practices, you gotta close em. Plain and simple.
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's

horribilisfan8184

Post by horribilisfan8184 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks for sounding the spoiler alarm. Planning on making the Spring game and some of us would like to pretend its Christmas so we can be surprised.

alabamagrizzly

Post by alabamagrizzly » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:22 am

Colin Bonnicksen wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 am
Hello E-Grizzers --

It was brought to the coaching staff's attention that there has been some talk of personnel, formations and injuries on this board in regards to what has been seen at practice.

While we love the enthusiasm our fans have shown, please understand that we do not want any of this information getting on the internet. We also have "No Cell Phone Use" signs up and around the stadium for the same reasons.

Should this continue, we will be forced to close practices moving forward. We don't want that, and you don't want that, so lets make sure it doesn't come to that point.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. I hope to see all of you at practices in the future and on behalf of the entire coaching staff I want to thank you for your past and continued support of this program.

-- Go Griz! RTD!

Colin Bonnicksen
Director of Football Operations
Colin, I appreciate the attempt but you can’t just go to an insane asylum and just ask the patients to act normal.
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's

AZDoc

Post by AZDoc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:39 am

I think they are just looking for an excuse. I hope they are smart enough to figure out that it would be posted somewhere. How about they worry about their own players posting "phrases" or "sentences" about things happening within the team instead of old, fat dudes giving their (inaccurate) take on what's happening at a practice or 3. :roll:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool-Bill Shakespeare

AZDoc

Post by AZDoc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:39 am

grizcountry420 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 am
:lol: No doubt!

grizd

Post by grizd » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:47 am

Ummm, about that pipe dream to sell out the Spring game?! Gonna be hard to control that many people don't you think?

Grizfan-24

Post by Grizfan-24 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:47 am

In Colin’s defense,

From a coaching perspective, I think there are some common sense things that people shouldn’t talk about. Just my opinion. Most of the discussion here or else where is harmless. Coaches do get a be bit proprietary and slightly paranoid. His request is completely within the realm of what is appropriate.

For example while I know what offensive and defensive stuff the UM might be employing, the only way I would talk about it honestly is when the media reports it. Once the program has seen fit to state publicly what it intends to do with personnel, scheme and overall philosophy it makes sense not to talk about it.

Moreover the injury and performance elements that speak to specific issues or injuries isn’t that wise either. Just an ethics thing I guess. Some of it doesn’t play well in the locker room, and the rest of it is a bit of a privacy issue.

Look we want information, because of the type of access that we have had in years past. Hauck’s opened practices up so we can see them again, but Stitt had them closed for the very reason that Colin ventured in here. Either conform or they will close practices.

Brint can attest for what the program asked them not to do. I honestly don’t think it is a difficult request to comply with.
Pedestrian Football analysis found here:
www.maroonbloodblog.com

Older pedestrian football analysis found here:
www.monidasports.blogspot.com

Full of double speak and clearly I have never played the game. Two thousand words where 10 would suffice.

MTOutsider

Post by MTOutsider » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 am

They have already been shut down. Alpha wont be there.

grizd

Post by grizd » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 am

Grizfan-24 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:47 am
In Colin’s defense,

From a coaching perspective, I think there are some common sense things that people shouldn’t talk about. Just my opinion. Most of the discussion here or else where is harmless. Coaches do get a be bit proprietary and slightly paranoid. His request is completely within the realm of what is appropriate.

For example while I know what offensive and defensive stuff the UM might be employing, the only way I would talk about it honestly is when the media reports it. Once the program has seen fit to state publicly what it intends to do with personnel, scheme and overall philosophy it makes sense not to talk about it.

Moreover the injury and performance elements that speak to specific issues or injuries isn’t that wise either. Just an ethics thing I guess. Some of it doesn’t play well in the locker room, and the rest of it is a bit of a privacy issue.

Look we want information, because of the type of access that we have had in years past. Hauck’s opened practices up so we can see them again, but Stitt had them closed for the very reason that Colin ventured in here. Either conform or they will close practices.

Brint can attest for what the program asked them not to do. I honestly don’t think it is a difficult request to comply with.
No offense to Brint and the others, but I haven't seen anything remotely considered secret sauce now or ever. I think it's crazy to worry about what realtors, lawyers and dish network technicians are going to disclose on a message board or twitter. As for injury information, it will get out no matter what level of openness practices are.

Ursa Major
eGriz Club

Post by Ursa Major » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:05 pm

AZDoc wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:39 am
grizcountry420 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 am
:lol: No doubt!
POTY Picture!! Nice work 420 :lol: :clap:
Post Like A Champion!

BWahlberg
eGriz Club

Post by BWahlberg » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Grizfan-24 wrote:
In Colin’s defense,

It's really no different than the practice that's been in place since Delaney closed practices and Stitt carried it over. QB Club members usually can attend but are asked not to post/share/tweet/record/etc what they see, who gets hurt, formations, and so on. This year we got an email outlining the expectations which weren't really any different than before. At the Monday practice Eric Taber would share the same statement with those he could talk to. Take it in, watch, enjoy, keep it off social media.

Bobby wants fans to reinvest in the excitement of the program, I get that. And their hope is that those in attendance come to watch and enjoy and get excited for the upcoming season.

24 is especially right on the injury front, I recall that many times shared info from practices where a player would get hurt (Ben Weyer as the recent example) usually lead to a lot of frustration from the coaches/athletic department.
Griz practice and news updates http://twitter.com/Bwahlberg

Brint Wahlberg - Realtor, Windermere Real Estate

The official REALTOR(R) of Grizzly Athletics

krammer

Post by krammer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:14 pm

grizd wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 am
Grizfan-24 wrote:
In Colin’s defense,

No offense to Brint and the others, but I haven't seen anything remotely considered secret sauce now or ever. I think it's crazy to worry about what realtors, lawyers and dish network technicians are going to disclose on a message board or twitter. As for injury information, it will get out no matter what level of openness practices are.

I have to agree here,,,,there has not been any untoward topics discussed about practices that i have seen on the e-griz board.....just the usual fan excitement about our griz team ......colin, i don't know where your getting this information but i would think the coaching staff would be excited to have such fans talking about the griz football team.....don cut off the nose to spite your fact for sure....we are fans for crying out loud, we must have something to talk about on a football message board.