Choate

Get the low down on Griz/FCS Football
PlayerRep
Posts: 28516
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

bigsky33 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
He was a good enough inexperienced head coach to beat the Griz two years in a row! He out coached the guy you all touted as a football genius when he was hired.
My view is that the Cats/Choate beat Stitt more than they beat the Griz. Would not have happened had Hauck been here.
User avatar
BadlandsGrizFan
Posts: 5154
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:21 am
Location: Dallas, TX

poorgriz wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:48 am
ABQCat wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:35 am Of the last 4 coaches at UNLV, Bobby had the worst W/L percentage. You have to go back to the mid 90s to find a UNLV coach worse the Bobby. This throws out the "nobody wins and UNLV" line of thinking.

For as much that folks over here want to talk about Choate's 9-13 record, he's still way better than Bobby's last run as a head coach. Choate's extension is the result of a forward thinking AD and University President who recognize the improvements in his second year: 5-3 in conference play last year, 7-3 in his last 10 conference games, and he's 2-0 against the grizz. They also recognize the change in culture and much improved buy-in from the players, fans and donors. They also recognize how damaging the coaching carousel is to continuity and recruiting, and conversely how much more effective recruiting goes when the recruits know the coach is going to stick around. There isn't a single Cat fan that is even close to disagreeing with the extension decision, and even the curmudgeons that love to whine and complain are on board with direction of the program.

Right now there is complete unity in the MSU Bobcat football universe between the coaches, the team, the administration and the fans.
I'll take your word that he's done well off the field.
There must be some rule saying that MSU can't give extensions after the 2018 season, because making the decision then would've worked just as well, and protected MSU if Choach tanked in 2018.

Hmmmmm. Well this is the 36th reference you've made to that so I think it's about time for me to help you out with an analogy, so you stop obsessing about it and sleep at night. I'm here for ya CDA! :D

Let's say a law firm hires a trial lawyer fresh out of law school. They tell him right off the bat
he's going to get thrown into the fire and have a bunch of tough cases right off the bat. They also really want to test him so they're not going to offer up a bunch of resources but rather just tell him to figure it out on his own. They also say that they don't ever want him to lose a case against their rival firm Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe.

That first year is pretty rough as the new lawyer is learning the ropes. He loses several cases, but wins a few and towards the end of the year he wins a very large case against the rival law firm.

Second year is better, lawyer is getting better and winning more cases, but still not winning enough of them. However, the partners meet and all agree they can see something special in this new guy. They see he's going about trials the right way in terms of putting all the pieces together, finding the star witnesses, prepping, and they see that he's working very hard on doing whatever it takes to win every case. The trials he's losing are very close and could have gone either way. They see how the jurors are responding to him (A Few Good Men), and they are impressed. To end the year they watch him yet again go up against the rival in a land mark case and win it.

Review time comes around and they ask him if he's going to win more cases than he loses in the upcoming year. With confidence he tells them absolutely yes. He is building relationships, finding valuable resources, and gaining a solid reputation all around the country. He also by now has enough experience to understand exactly what it takes to win every trial and he is confident in his ability to do that.

So the partners meet and talk it over. They contact several lawyers that he's gone up against and nearly all of them say that he's a star on the rise and they don't really want to go up against him again. They give him a huge raise and make him partner because they realize what they have and they don't want another law firm to steal him away.

What would you do, write him up for not winning more ? lol
Sounds like its time to stop giving him all the DUI cases and maybe move on to more serious work.
Montana is no place for the idler, the penniless, the feeble in will or body!
bigsky33
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:07 am

PlayerRep wrote:
bigsky33 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
He was a good enough inexperienced head coach to beat the Griz two years in a row! He out coached the guy you all touted as a football genius when he was hired.
My view is that the Cats/Choate beat Stitt more than they beat the Griz. Would not have happened had Hauck been here.
That is a really lame comment.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Ursa Major
eGriz Club
Posts: 9332
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 pm

bigsky33 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
He was a good enough inexperienced head coach to beat the Griz two years in a row! He out coached the guy you all touted as a football genius when he was hired.
And THAT is the difference in culture between the two programs. The cats beat the Griz but have losing seasons without sniffing the playoffs and early extend their coach.

The Griz don’t make the playoffs for two years and fire a coach with a winning record.

It’s little brother 101 and the difference between the cultures of the two programs. I’ll await your reply on eGriz. :lol:
Post Like A Champion!
User avatar
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club
Posts: 18582
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: West Coast

Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
Not to mention the unceremonious canning of the coach with the most wins in program history, the winningest coach in program history (percentage wise) since the famed Herb Agocs days, and the longest-tenured coach since the great Schubert R. Dyche. Ron Ash's winning ways did not fit the vision.
User avatar
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club
Posts: 18582
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: West Coast

poorgriz wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:48 am
ABQCat wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:35 am Of the last 4 coaches at UNLV, Bobby had the worst W/L percentage. You have to go back to the mid 90s to find a UNLV coach worse the Bobby. This throws out the "nobody wins and UNLV" line of thinking.

For as much that folks over here want to talk about Choate's 9-13 record, he's still way better than Bobby's last run as a head coach. Choate's extension is the result of a forward thinking AD and University President who recognize the improvements in his second year: 5-3 in conference play last year, 7-3 in his last 10 conference games, and he's 2-0 against the grizz. They also recognize the change in culture and much improved buy-in from the players, fans and donors. They also recognize how damaging the coaching carousel is to continuity and recruiting, and conversely how much more effective recruiting goes when the recruits know the coach is going to stick around. There isn't a single Cat fan that is even close to disagreeing with the extension decision, and even the curmudgeons that love to whine and complain are on board with direction of the program.

Right now there is complete unity in the MSU Bobcat football universe between the coaches, the team, the administration and the fans.
I'll take your word that he's done well off the field.
There must be some rule saying that MSU can't give extensions after the 2018 season, because making the decision then would've worked just as well, and protected MSU if Choach tanked in 2018.

Hmmmmm. Well this is the 36th reference you've made to that so I think it's about time for me to help you out with an analogy, so you stop obsessing about it and sleep at night. I'm here for ya CDA! :D

Let's say a law firm hires a trial lawyer fresh out of law school. They tell him right off the bat
he's going to get thrown into the fire and have a bunch of tough cases right off the bat. They also really want to test him so they're not going to offer up a bunch of resources but rather just tell him to figure it out on his own. They also say that they don't ever want him to lose a case against their rival firm Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe.

That first year is pretty rough as the new lawyer is learning the ropes. He loses several cases, but wins a few and towards the end of the year he wins a very large case against the rival law firm.

Second year is better, lawyer is getting better and winning more cases, but still not winning enough of them. However, the partners meet and all agree they can see something special in this new guy. They see he's going about trials the right way in terms of putting all the pieces together, finding the star witnesses, prepping, and they see that he's working very hard on doing whatever it takes to win every case. The trials he's losing are very close and could have gone either way. They see how the jurors are responding to him (A Few Good Men), and they are impressed. To end the year they watch him yet again go up against the rival in a land mark case and win it.

Review time comes around and they ask him if he's going to win more cases than he loses in the upcoming year. With confidence he tells them absolutely yes. He is building relationships, finding valuable resources, and gaining a solid reputation all around the country. He also by now has enough experience to understand exactly what it takes to win every trial and he is confident in his ability to do that.

So the partners meet and talk it over. They contact several lawyers that he's gone up against and nearly all of them say that he's a star on the rise and they don't really want to go up against him again. They give him a huge raise and make him partner because they realize what they have and they don't want another law firm to steal him away.

What would you do, write him up for not winning more ? lol
Nope. I'd wish him the best of luck over the next year, commend him on his improvement, let him know we will be there to support him all the way, and say we will revisit this in 12 months.

Then, I would seriously question why our firm thought someone right out of law school could be an effective trial attorney in his first year, and hope our clients were as understanding as Cat fans when we threw him to the wolves at the expense of outcomes because we "wanted him to figure it out on his own."

Hope that helps.
User avatar
CatzWillRise
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:31 am

I'm not sure many programs in the country would fire a coach 2 seasons into his tenure, even if both season were losing seasons, when he took over a program coming off a losing season where the head coach was fired.

Not sure how many would extend a contract to that same coach, but I'm guessing what MSU did is the more likely of the two scenarios.

I'm also not sure how many programs would fire a winning coach after his 3rd season either.
Bruce Feldman:
"Rough business: Bob Stitt goes 7-4 at Montana and gets fired after just 3 seasons after taking over a program that was on probation & digging out from ugly scandal."

It's simple to me - UM didn't think Stitt was living up to the expectations, and didn't like the direction the program was headed - fired. MSU likes the direction Choate has the program going - extended.
"What kind of losers put quotes of other posters in their avatars?" - PlayerRep
User avatar
Ursa Major
eGriz Club
Posts: 9332
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 pm

CDAGRIZ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:54 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
Not to mention the unceremonious canning of the coach with the most wins in program history, the winningest coach in program history (percentage wise) since the famed Herb Agocs days, and the longest-tenured coach since the great Schubert R. Dyche. Ron Ash's winning ways did not fit the vision.
Ah, Schubert “Fingers” Dyche, now that was a football coach. If I’m not mistaken, he was tragically shot back in ‘37 for palming a queen of clubs in the back gaming room of the Chrystal.

And who could forget A.J. Adams’ 3-0 campaign in the fall of 1899. He too was taken from us far too early after being struck and killed by a hit-and-run horse and buggy accident on West Kagy Avenue.
Post Like A Champion!
User avatar
ABQCat
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:14 pm

PlayerRep wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:43 pm
bigsky33 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
He was a good enough inexperienced head coach to beat the Griz two years in a row! He out coached the guy you all touted as a football genius when he was hired.
My view is that the Cats/Choate beat Stitt more than they beat the Griz. Would not have happened had Hauck been here.
Why? Because you said so? That's an absurd comment.

I predict it will take Bobby at least year to get his system installed, and he simply doesn't have the depth or enough of 'his' personnel to make it very far in 2018. The nuclear meltdowns on this board will be epic if the grizz lose to Idaho and Cats in the same year. You mercifully don't play EWU or Weber, but SUU on the road is very tough. Even Sac St looks like they could be a contender and that game isn't a gimme. The MV games are tough and I predict a split at best. ND is too well coached to stay down again, and that road game could easily be a loss. Can you go 3-0 against Poly Davis and PSU? Probably but it's not a gimme.

This will be so much fun.
Image
User avatar
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club
Posts: 18582
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: West Coast

Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:09 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:54 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
Not to mention the unceremonious canning of the coach with the most wins in program history, the winningest coach in program history (percentage wise) since the famed Herb Agocs days, and the longest-tenured coach since the great Schubert R. Dyche. Ron Ash's winning ways did not fit the vision.
Ah, Schubert “Fingers” Dyche, now that was a football coach. If I’m not mistaken, he was tragically shot back in ‘37 for palming a queen of clubs in the back gaming room of the Chrystal.

And who could forget A.J. Adams’ 3-0 campaign in the fall of 1899. He too was taken from us far too early after being struck and killed by a hit-and-run horse and buggy accident on West Kagy Avenue.
That was indeed tragic. The Scrolls suggest that it was the work of Sammy Swenson and the Babcock Street Gang. They peed their calling card into the snow at the scene there on West Kagy, but an early morning chinook wind destroyed the evidence. Swenson lived with the lie until 1968.
User avatar
Ursa Major
eGriz Club
Posts: 9332
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 pm

CDAGRIZ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:19 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:09 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:54 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
Not to mention the unceremonious canning of the coach with the most wins in program history, the winningest coach in program history (percentage wise) since the famed Herb Agocs days, and the longest-tenured coach since the great Schubert R. Dyche. Ron Ash's winning ways did not fit the vision.
Ah, Schubert “Fingers” Dyche, now that was a football coach. If I’m not mistaken, he was tragically shot back in ‘37 for palming a queen of clubs in the back gaming room of the Chrystal.

And who could forget A.J. Adams’ 3-0 campaign in the fall of 1899. He too was taken from us far too early after being struck and killed by a hit-and-run horse and buggy accident on West Kagy Avenue.
That was indeed tragic. The Scrolls suggest that it was the work of Sammy Swenson and the Babcock Street Gang. They peed their calling card into the snow at the scene there on West Kagy, but an early morning chinook wind destroyed the evidence. Swenson lived with the lie until 1968.
Back then, Sammy "The Swede" Swenson controlled the grain elevator in Bozeman and was one mean son of a bitch. Rumor has it that A.J. Adams got sideways with the Swede on a scheme selling knock-off Hosier cabinets with optional porcelain dry sinks. The Swede held a contract for the exclusive sale of Hosier cabinets in the Gallatin Valley. Unfortunately for A.J., the Hosier Cabinet Company didn't offer the porcelain dry sink until the fall of '02 and his knock-offs were outselling the Swede's Hosiers 2-1.

Just as today, if you control the grain elevator in Bozeman, you control the entire town.
Post Like A Champion!
User avatar
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club
Posts: 18582
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: West Coast

Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:39 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:19 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:09 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:54 pm

Not to mention the unceremonious canning of the coach with the most wins in program history, the winningest coach in program history (percentage wise) since the famed Herb Agocs days, and the longest-tenured coach since the great Schubert R. Dyche. Ron Ash's winning ways did not fit the vision.
Ah, Schubert “Fingers” Dyche, now that was a football coach. If I’m not mistaken, he was tragically shot back in ‘37 for palming a queen of clubs in the back gaming room of the Chrystal.

And who could forget A.J. Adams’ 3-0 campaign in the fall of 1899. He too was taken from us far too early after being struck and killed by a hit-and-run horse and buggy accident on West Kagy Avenue.
That was indeed tragic. The Scrolls suggest that it was the work of Sammy Swenson and the Babcock Street Gang. They peed their calling card into the snow at the scene there on West Kagy, but an early morning chinook wind destroyed the evidence. Swenson lived with the lie until 1968.
Back then, Sammy "The Swede" Swenson controlled the grain elevator in Bozeman and was one mean son of a bitch. Rumor has it that A.J. Adams got sideways with the Swede on a scheme selling knock-off Hosier cabinets with optional porcelain dry sinks. The Swede held a contract for the exclusive sale of Hosier cabinets in the Gallatin Valley. Unfortunately for A.J., the Hosier Cabinet Company didn't offer the porcelain dry sink until the fall of '02 and his knock-offs were outselling the Swede's Hosiers 2-1.

Just as today, if you control the grain elevator in Bozeman, you control the entire town.
Horse laughed! Nice. :lol:
User avatar
RobGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 3727
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:39 pm
Location: Florence, Montana

Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:39 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:19 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:09 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:54 pm

Not to mention the unceremonious canning of the coach with the most wins in program history, the winningest coach in program history (percentage wise) since the famed Herb Agocs days, and the longest-tenured coach since the great Schubert R. Dyche. Ron Ash's winning ways did not fit the vision.
Ah, Schubert “Fingers” Dyche, now that was a football coach. If I’m not mistaken, he was tragically shot back in ‘37 for palming a queen of clubs in the back gaming room of the Chrystal.

And who could forget A.J. Adams’ 3-0 campaign in the fall of 1899. He too was taken from us far too early after being struck and killed by a hit-and-run horse and buggy accident on West Kagy Avenue.
That was indeed tragic. The Scrolls suggest that it was the work of Sammy Swenson and the Babcock Street Gang. They peed their calling card into the snow at the scene there on West Kagy, but an early morning chinook wind destroyed the evidence. Swenson lived with the lie until 1968.
Back then, Sammy "The Swede" Swenson controlled the grain elevator in Bozeman and was one mean son of a bitch. Rumor has it that A.J. Adams got sideways with the Swede on a scheme selling knock-off Hosier cabinets with optional porcelain dry sinks. The Swede held a contract for the exclusive sale of Hosier cabinets in the Gallatin Valley. Unfortunately for A.J., the Hosier Cabinet Company didn't offer the porcelain dry sink until the fall of '02 and his knock-offs were outselling the Swede's Hosiers 2-1.

Just as today, if you control the grain elevator in Bozeman, you control the entire town.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I'd rather the GRIZ go 9-4 and be in the FCS playoff hunt every year than go 6-5 and get an invite to play in the Whoreallygivesashit.com bowl
User avatar
fanofzoo
Posts: 4266
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:08 am
Location: missoula

bigsky33 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:45 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
bigsky33 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
He was a good enough inexperienced head coach to beat the Griz two years in a row! He out coached the guy you all touted as a football genius when he was hired.
My view is that the Cats/Choate beat Stitt more than they beat the Griz. Would not have happened had Hauck been here.
That is a really lame comment.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
but true
poorgriz
Posts: 3343
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:11 pm

Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:49 pm
bigsky33 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
He was a good enough inexperienced head coach to beat the Griz two years in a row! He out coached the guy you all touted as a football genius when he was hired.
And THAT is the difference in culture between the two programs. The cats beat the Griz but have losing seasons without sniffing the playoffs and early extend their coach.

The Griz don’t make the playoffs for two years and fire a coach with a winning record.

It’s little brother 101 and the difference between the cultures of the two programs. I’ll await your reply on eGriz. :lol:
It's called "trend analysis", you should look it up.

I get it, it's the off season and this is all fun and games taking jabs at each other and telling each other how good our respective coaches are lol, but I have a serious question for every griz fan on here.

Do you think the Bobcat Football program is trending up right now heading into 2018?
Bobby Hauck is God. He's not a God... he's the God.
HookedonGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 8268
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

poorgriz wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:49 pm
bigsky33 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
He was a good enough inexperienced head coach to beat the Griz two years in a row! He out coached the guy you all touted as a football genius when he was hired.
And THAT is the difference in culture between the two programs. The cats beat the Griz but have losing seasons without sniffing the playoffs and early extend their coach.

The Griz don’t make the playoffs for two years and fire a coach with a winning record.

It’s little brother 101 and the difference between the cultures of the two programs. I’ll await your reply on eGriz. :lol:
It's called "trend analysis", you should look it up.

I get it, it's the off season and this is all fun and games taking jabs at each other and telling each other how good our respective coaches are lol, but I have a serious question for every griz fan on here.

Do you think the Bobcat Football program is trending up right now heading into 2018?
Honest answer is no, not until they prove on the field they can win and not have a losing record. 95% of bobcat nation thought they would dominate last year and get at least seven or eight wins. Well that didn't happen....again. But everyone just assumes it will happen this year? It's always "next year" with Bobcat fans.
User avatar
Ursa Major
eGriz Club
Posts: 9332
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 pm

poorgriz wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:49 pm
bigsky33 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
He was a good enough inexperienced head coach to beat the Griz two years in a row! He out coached the guy you all touted as a football genius when he was hired.
And THAT is the difference in culture between the two programs. The cats beat the Griz but have losing seasons without sniffing the playoffs and early extend their coach.

The Griz don’t make the playoffs for two years and fire a coach with a winning record.

It’s little brother 101 and the difference between the cultures of the two programs. I’ll await your reply on eGriz. :lol:
It's called "trend analysis", you should look it up.

I get it, it's the off season and this is all fun and games taking jabs at each other and telling each other how good our respective coaches are lol, but I have a serious question for every griz fan on here.

Do you think the Bobcat Football program is trending up right now heading into 2018?
Do you mean trending up in actual victories or trending up in moral victories?

Serious question.
Post Like A Champion!
Catsrgrood
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:39 pm

:coffee:

Still going, huh?
User avatar
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club
Posts: 18582
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: West Coast

poorgriz wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:49 pm
bigsky33 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
He was a good enough inexperienced head coach to beat the Griz two years in a row! He out coached the guy you all touted as a football genius when he was hired.
And THAT is the difference in culture between the two programs. The cats beat the Griz but have losing seasons without sniffing the playoffs and early extend their coach.

The Griz don’t make the playoffs for two years and fire a coach with a winning record.

It’s little brother 101 and the difference between the cultures of the two programs. I’ll await your reply on eGriz. :lol:
It's called "trend analysis", you should look it up.

I get it, it's the off season and this is all fun and games taking jabs at each other and telling each other how good our respective coaches are lol, but I have a serious question for every griz fan on here.

Do you think the Bobcat Football program is trending up right now heading into 2018?
MSU: Losing seasons in bold:

*Ron hired*
2007: 6-5
2008: 7-5
2009: 7-4
2010: 9-3
2011: 10-3
2012: 11-2
2013: 7-5
2014: 8-5
2015: 5-6
*Ron fired after 65-32 record*
*Choach hired*
2016: 4-7
2017: 5-6
*Choach extended after 9-13 record*
2018: The MOON!
PlayerRep
Posts: 28516
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

ABQCat wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:11 pm
PlayerRep wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:43 pm
bigsky33 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:35 pm
Ursa Major wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.
He was a good enough inexperienced head coach to beat the Griz two years in a row! He out coached the guy you all touted as a football genius when he was hired.
My view is that the Cats/Choate beat Stitt more than they beat the Griz. Would not have happened had Hauck been here.
Why? Because you said so? That's an absurd comment.

I predict it will take Bobby at least year to get his system installed, and he simply doesn't have the depth or enough of 'his' personnel to make it very far in 2018. The nuclear meltdowns on this board will be epic if the grizz lose to Idaho and Cats in the same year. You mercifully don't play EWU or Weber, but SUU on the road is very tough. Even Sac St looks like they could be a contender and that game isn't a gimme. The MV games are tough and I predict a split at best. ND is too well coached to stay down again, and that road game could easily be a loss. Can you go 3-0 against Poly Davis and PSU? Probably but it's not a gimme.

This will be so much fun.
Yes, because I said so and it's true. Not an absurd comment at all. As most players will say, the rivalry game is more about motivation and heart, not talent. With Hauck, the team would have had more of both of those.

I think Hauck's system is already in and clicking, especially on offense. Two very good qb's. Both better than yours. Good receivers, and lots of them. Size and speed. Bingham is going to have a break out year. He's NFL material. A number of good running backs. A younger o-line with lots of size and athleticism. Same coach as the past several years, and presumably the same or similar system of blocking and communicating. Don't know that for sure. No depth problems on the offense. Question is how good will the o-line be.

Strong d-line. At least, good linebackers. A good transfer safety. Several safeties. A number of young talented and tall corners, who will have to develop and step it up fast. Can't imagine that Hauck won't have a good D, but D is a work in progress.

Good to great punter. Several kickers.

Team with a very good attitude, with big buy-in by most players already. Team that wants to win, work hard and improve. Same strength coach who knows players and is well-liked.

My view, and hope, is that Hauck is sandbagging a bit.

I'm not worried about the Griz, but you may be right that they are a year away. I think the Cats will have improved, tho, and are probably also going places.
Post Reply