• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Interview with Female Coach at Dartmouth

It's par for the course for Dartmouth. Nobody goes to Dartmouth because of their football prowess anyways so it's impossible to hurt recruiting and falls in line with their determination to be "progressive". They've produced 4 NFLers in the last 22 years. Montana can claim 29 in the same period.

My coach at Dartmouth, who also played at Dartmouth, was a first round draft pick.

Some current Dartmouth coaches. Shula was qb coach for Dan Marino and Troy Aikman.

1. Dave Shula spent 15 seasons coaching in the NFL, the last five as the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals (1992-96) as one of the youngest head coaches — 32 when he was hired — the league has ever had. His final full season in Cincinnati was his best, leading the squad to a 7-9 record and a tie for second place in the AFC Central in 1995.

After signing out of Dartmouth as an undrafted free agent with the Baltimore Colts in 1981, Shula spent one season on the roster and saw action in all 16 games as a kickoff and punt returner. The following year, he began his coaching career on the staff of the Miami Dolphins under the tutelage of his father, Don Shula, in the final game of the regular season and all the way to the Super Bowl while filling in for the departed offensive coordinator.

Shula served as the wide receivers coach for the next three seasons, overseeing the likes of young players like Mark Clayton and Mark Duper. In 1985, he took on the duties of the quarterbacks coach as well, working with Hall of Famer Dan Marino, before turning his full attention to the men behind center in 1988.

After seven years with the Dolphins, he was hired by the Dallas Cowboys to help start the rebuilding process under new head coach Jimmy Johnson as his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. During Shula’s two years in that role, he mentored a rookie quarterback named Troy Aikman, helping him win seven games in his second year in the league.

2. Tillman-Brooks, originally from Chesapeake, Virginia, currently lives in New Braunfels, Texas, and has an extensive background in football.

From 2000-03, she played in the Women's Professional Football League before beginning her coaching career the following year. "Coach SoHo" spent nine seasons with the Austin Outlaws of the Women's Football Alliance, alternating as the offensive and defensive coordinators, before taking over as the head coach of the Austin Yellow Jackets in 2013, making her one of just two female head coaches in the Independent Women's Football League. This year she helped the Houston Energy win the IWFL Championship as a defensive coach. In addition to her professional coaching, she has coached youth football for the past five seasons.

3. A native of Virginia, Brownson has quite the football background as a player on the D.C. Divas from 2010-17 in the Women's Football Alliance. She was a five-time team captain and four-time All-American as a free safety and a running back, helping the Divas win national titles in 2015 and '16. Brownson is also a two-time gold medalist (Finland in 2013, Vancouver in 2017) with Team USA Women's Football. Her coaching background extends to the high school level as she spent three falls with Mount Vernon High (where she went to school) as an assistant coach, and last summer was a college/professional personnel scouting intern with the New York Jets.

For Zirg:

I just looked up mid career average salaries of Dartmouth, UM and MSU.

$150,800 for Dartmouth. $84,500 for UM. $94,300 for MSU.

Dartmouth ranked 8th in the country. UM ranked 711th. MSU was 394th.

I knew this would rub you the wrong way Rep. You, obviously have a connection with the school, but I didn't post any erroneous info. There's no denying Dartmouth's prestige and earning-power. I thought this was a football discussion. :)

Zirg said:
It's par for the course for Dartmouth. Nobody goes to Dartmouth because of their football prowess anyways so it's impossible to hurt recruiting and falls in line with their determination to be "progressive". They've produced 4 NFLers in the last 22 years. Montana can claim 29 in the same period.

I don’t see how being “progressive” comes into play. Either they are good at what they do and bring good coaching to the table or they don’t. If they don’t, then adios. If UM had some female coaches and still kicked ass, what would be the beef? Sure, Dartmouth is a bastion of liberalism wrapped up in an Ivy League pedigree. But if these coaches do a good job, who cares if they are women.

Zirg said:

I always thought that you went to school for an education.

fanofzoo said:
Zirg said:

Said no one involved in big-time college athletics...

SoldierGriz said:
fanofzoo said:
Zirg said:

Said no one involved in big-time college athletics...

You're right. :cry:
OSG---Old School Guy

Zirg said:
I knew this would rub you the wrong way Rep. You, obviously have a connection with the school, but I didn't post any erroneous info. There's no denying Dartmouth's prestige and earning-power. I thought this was a football discussion. :)

Didn't rub me the wrong way. It just showed that you are sexist, and a jerk, and indicates that you must think the primary reason/value of playing college football is to play in the NFL, or get a tryout.

My view of the value of college football has little or nothing to do with playing in the NFL. It's the fun, teammates, hard work, achieving goals and hopefully achieving some success, maybe with a bit of "glory" sprinkled in. Old school values. It's what you learn and who you meet, and how it helps you in life after college. My teammates and football friends have virtually have been successful in life and many were high achievers. Jeff Immelt, CEO of GE for almost 2 decades. Hank Paulson, CEO of Goldman Sachs and Secretary of the Treasury. Ben Wilson, successful lawyer, and uncle of Russell Wilson. Guys in College Football Hall of Fame, and other similar honors. Governor of DE. For every Reggie Williams, Jay Fielder, Jeff kemp and Nick Lowery, there are many others who have done a lot in life, and certainly many who made piles of money.

Dartmouth has 8 former players and 5 former coaches in the College Football Hall of Fame including one of my teammates. Assume UM doesn't have any. Dickenson will be inducted in December. I had told my buddy to support his nomination.

Dartmouth football is not what it once was, like a 1925 national championship and 1970 undefeated team ranked in the top 15 of D-I, and ahead of Penn St in the Lambert Trophy voting and national polls.

I see that 164 Dartmouth alums, not football, have served in Congress. Assume Harvard, Yale and Princeton have a lot too.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/dartmouth-hires-alexandria-native-as-first-female-division-i-college-football-coach/ar-BBNhGBC?li=BBnb7Kz

Offensive asst coach Callie Brownson

"when the Big Green’s wide receivers went to Coach Buddy Teevens with a proposal"

Dave Shula, former head coach the Cincinnati Bengals and son of Don Shula, is the Dartmouth receivers coach.

Offensive quality control coach. Watch out Bob Stitt, she's after your job.

signedbewildered said:
Ursus1 said:
How can they know anything if "they never played the game"? Yes I am joking

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh the irony.

According to the article, she has played more football and at a higher level than most of the board. Yes, oh the irony.

Silly Teevans....."You don’t have to play football to be a coach,” Teevens says. “If someone is passionate and willing to put in the time — it’s not a 9-to-5 job — you can learn the sport.”

PDXGrizzly said:
Zirg said:

I don’t see how being “progressive” comes into play. Either they are good at what they do and bring good coaching to the table or they don’t. If they don’t, then adios. If UM had some female coaches and still kicked ass, what would be the beef? Sure, Dartmouth is a bastion of liberalism wrapped up in an Ivy League pedigree. But if these coaches do a good job, who cares if they are women.

It's always good to be reminded that most men aren't sexist. Thanks for the post, PDX. Your daughter is a lucky little girl. It's quite an interesting study in psychology to read some posts and try to determine what it is about women in certain professions that some guys find so off-putting and...."icky". Fascinating, really. A little creepy but interesting.

GGNez said:
PDXGrizzly said:
Zirg said:

It's always good to be reminded that most men aren't sexist. Thanks for the post, PDX. Your daughter is a lucky little girl. It's quite an interesting study in psychology to read some posts and try to determine what it is about women in certain professions that some guys find so off-putting and...."icky". Fascinating, really. A little creepy but interesting.

I think it’s because football is a guys sport. It’s one of those lingering sexism’s in America that male sport teams can only be coached by men. You can have female officers in law enforcement or the military (hell, Portland has a female chief of police), but sports is where the line is drawn. If you saw more elite level female athletes playing with the guys and competing, you might see more female coaches. However, with football, because it is a collision sport, sometimes it’s hard to get around the concept of hitting a girl. Most of us were brought up with the rule that you don’t hit women. It is dishonorable and unbecoming of a man to do so. Since you hit people in football (tackle, not punch), many guys are uncomfortable with women playing for that very reason.

That said, i have always been of the mind thatif you can do the job, I don’t care what gender you are or if you prefer a non-binary pronoun. If you can do the job, who am I to stand in your way.

Ursus1 said:
Silly Teevans....."You don’t have to play football to be a coach,” Teevens says. “If someone is passionate and willing to put in the time — it’s not a 9-to-5 job — you can learn the sport.”

Do you think someone has to have played football to be a coach? I don't.

Do you not think that you can spot people who never played the game? People who say things about the locker room or the field, that couldn't possibly have played the game?

If you say you can't see these things on occasion, then I say you have never played the game.

This woman coach at Dartmouth, and the the other intern, clearly know more about football than most of you.

When was the last time a former NFL head coach, and other coach who has been the head coach of Maine, Dartmouth, Tulane and Stanford, hired you?

Back