• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kaepernick, Nike, and GRIZ Athletics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtgrizrule

So, have any of you thought how negatively that Nike's decision to use Kaep in an ad campaign could negatively impact Nike's support of the GRIZ? IF their stock continues to tumble, and sales dwindle because of their costly ad campaign decision, how long would it take to negatively impact what Nike does for GRIZ athletics?

It is kind of scary for this GRIZ fan.

Good questioin and topic.

Most of the articles I'ver read, like the below linked Fortune article, say that it won't be a big deal and that Nike had analyzed all of this before they entered into the Kaep deal.

"Nike's Stock Fell 3% on Colin Kaepernick's Endorsement Deal. Here's Why Investors Will Shrug It Off"

"Even with Tuesday’s decline, Nike’s stock is up more than 50% in the past year, and up 134% in the past five years. Investors will sit back during a controversy, but they never want to sit out a bull rally."

http://fortune.com/2018/09/04/nike-stock-market-buy-sell-kaepernick-boycott/

Two more reasons UM should remain in good stead with Nike. These two grew up in MT and went to UM.

"ERIC SPRUNK: CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER

Eric Sprunk, NIKE, Inc.’s Chief Operating Officer, leads NIKE’s manufacturing, sourcing, technology, procurement and demand and supply management organizations. He also oversees the company’s robust and innovative supply chain. As COO, Sprunk closely focuses on Nike’s critical capabilities, connecting internal functions under an integrated Global Operations team. This structure also gives Sprunk oversight of an Office of Workplace Design and Connectivity, which aims to create physical environments for the company that unlock continued innovation and creativity.

Sprunk spent seven years as an executive at PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP before joining NIKE in 1993, working in a variety of senior financial, commercial, product and global-management roles. He is a graduate of The University of Montana."

John G. Connors

Mr. Connors, 59, a director since 2005, is a partner in Ignition Partners LLC, a Seattle-area venture capital firm. Mr. Connors served as Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Microsoft Corporation from December 1999 to May 2005. He joined Microsoft in 1989 and held various management positions, including Corporate Controller from 1994 to 1996, Chief Information Officer from 1996 to 1999, and Vice President, Worldwide Enterprise Group in 1999. Mr. Connors is currently a member of the board of directors of Splunk, Inc. and privately held companies Chef, Inc., Motif Investing, Inc., FiREapps, Inc., ICERTIS, Inc., Tempered Networks Inc., Azuqua, Inc., LiveStories Inc., KenSci Inc., the Washington Policy Center, and the University of Washington Tyee Club."

Sprunk's son was the UM starting center the past several years. Connors' three sons are recruited by the Griz, and one played at UM for a year. Both have been large UM donors, including for athletics.

mtgrizrule said:
So, have any of you thought how negatively that Nike's decision to use Kaep in an ad campaign could negatively impact Nike's support of the GRIZ? IF their stock continues to tumble, and sales dwindle because of their costly ad campaign decision, how long would it take to negatively impact what Nike does for GRIZ athletics?

Come back after a few weeks and see if the stock still falls. 1 day a trend does not make. For reference, the stock as it is currently is higher than Nike's stock on any day prior to August 4th 2018. Their "stock tumble" is nothing currently.

I'm not sure if you're just anti Kaep or not but c'mon. You think a for profit company which is almost entirely based off of advertising hasn't done plenty of market research?

Eriul said:
mtgrizrule said:

Come back after a few weeks and see if the stock still falls. 1 day a trend does not make. For reference, the stock as it is currently is higher than Nike's stock on any day prior to August 4th 2018. Their "stock tumble" is nothing currently.

I'm not sure if you're just anti Kaep or not but c'mon. You think a for profit company which is almost entirely based off of advertising hasn't done plenty of market research?

I just read a lot of negativity toward Nike on a lot of peoples Social Media accounts. As for Kaep, I'm all for the cause. 100% against how he, and other players have gone about the cause. It won't effect my shopping. I always look for great deals, fair prices, and quality products. If this eventually forces Nike to cut back their support for GRIZ athletics, then I'll likely boycott them.

For me, Nike's support of GRIZ athletics is much more important, than this stupid ad campaign.

I quit wearing Nike years ago, because I’m fat, have club feet, & like expensive scotch. The shoes & clothing options just don’t fit me. Have you noticed that all men’s clothing has gone the tight suit route? If you’re not squeezed into it, you’re not wearing it right. Making it tighter because they’re not putting as much cloth into the product makes them some more money & fat guys like me more self-conscious.

This company survived and prospered after all the hoopla over child labor, they’ll get through this just fine.

mtgrizrule said:
Eriul said:
mtgrizrule said:

I just read a lot of negativity toward Nike on a lot of peoples Social Media accounts. As for Kaep, I'm all for the cause. 100% against how he, and other players have gone about the cause. It won't effect my shopping. I always look for great deals, fair prices, and quality products. If this eventually forces Nike to cut back their support for GRIZ athletics, then I'll likely boycott them.

For me, Nike's support of GRIZ athletics is much more important, than this stupid ad campaign.

Depends upon the social media you are referencing. Most kids and future consumers of Nike don’t use Facebook. Many posting on Facebook are older and purchase very few Nike products. If it was another social media site it may have more relevance. I think Nike will be just fine regardless. I won’t even get into the Kap and kneeling thing. Nobody changes my mind with their social media posts. I doubt I would change theirs with mine. Carry on.

mtgrizrule said:
Eriul said:
mtgrizrule said:

I stopped reading after the bolded. Anybody with any sort of common sense would know that idiots on social media don’t reflect reality. :roll:

grizindabox said:
Nike knows what they are doing. This thread is a lot about nothing.

You put a whole lot of faith in a company recently rocked by scandals, mostly internal. I live and work within walking distance of their world headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon. I have many friends who work for them, my wife works for one of their main competitors, her uncle was the chief attorney in the founding of Nike and was a life-long friend of Phil Knight. I have no axe to grind nor particular bias in any particular direction regarding the company but I can tell you that believing that "they know that they are doing" is naïve. It may work out OK for them or it may be a disaster. One thing is certain, they have the financial reserves to weather a much bigger storm than this.

considering white middle aged or older is nike's smallest client base, they will be just fine. you know how much R&D when into this AD before they decided to create it. It was a calculated risk and they chose to do it. Nike's biggest client base group is non-white 30 and under...I think they understand whats going on.

bgbigdog said:
I quit wearing Nike years ago, because I’m fat, have club feet, & like expensive scotch. The shoes & clothing options just don’t fit me. Have you noticed that all men’s clothing has gone the tight suit route? If you’re not squeezed into it, you’re not wearing it right. Making it tighter because they’re not putting as much cloth into the product makes them some more money & fat guys like me more self-conscious.

This company survived and prospered after all the hoopla over child labor, they’ll get through this just fine.
I'm with you; their stuff is always undersized so I never buy it for myself, but we will definitely put them out of business by refusing to buy any Nike or Jordans for the grandkids. Nike now sits alongside the NFL on my list of ghosts of former past.

mtgrizrule said:
Eriul said:
mtgrizrule said:

Everyone is talking about it...its already working.

mtgrizfankb said:
considering white middle aged or older is nike's smallest client base, they will be just fine. you know how much R&D when into this AD before they decided to create it. It was a calculated risk and they chose to do it. Nike's biggest client base group is non-white 30 and under...I think they understand whats going on.

You must be asserting that their "success at being social justice warriors by validating CK" will result in increased sales. It might. Time will tell but I personally wouldn't put my money on it. I suspect it will be neutral to slightly negative. They are in a fiercely competitive market and in my opinion their competitors make better products in most areas. Quickly the cause du jour is forgotten and it comes back to the product.

Good topic raised. Branding and affiliations are topics that the UM administration is thinking about regularly. Companies make mistakes, and failures occur.

There are few corporate blunders as staggering as Kodak’s missed opportunities in digital photography, a technology that it invented. This strategic failure was the direct cause of Kodak’s decades-long decline as digital photography destroyed its film-based business model. A new book by my Devil’s Advocate Group colleague, Vince Barabba, a former Kodak executive, offers insight on the choices that set Kodak on the path to bankruptcy. Barabba’s book, “The Decision Loom: A Design for Interactive Decision-Making in Organizations,” also offers sage advice for how other organizations grappling with disruptive technologies might avoid their own Kodak moments. Steve Sasson, the Kodak engineer who invented the first digital camera in 1975, characterized the initial corporate response to his invention this way:

But it was filmless photography, so management’s reaction was, ‘that’s cute—but don’t tell anyone about it.’ via The New York Times (5/2/2008)

PlayerRep said:
Good questioin and topic.

Most of the articles I'ver read, like the below linked Fortune article, say that it won't be a big deal and that Nike had analyzed all of this before they entered into the Kaep deal.

"Nike's Stock Fell 3% on Colin Kaepernick's Endorsement Deal. Here's Why Investors Will Shrug It Off"

"Even with Tuesday’s decline, Nike’s stock is up more than 50% in the past year, and up 134% in the past five years. Investors will sit back during a controversy, but they never want to sit out a bull rally."

http://fortune.com/2018/09/04/nike-stock-market-buy-sell-kaepernick-boycott/

Two more reasons UM should remain in good stead with Nike. These two grew up in MT and went to UM.

"ERIC SPRUNK: CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER

Eric Sprunk, NIKE, Inc.’s Chief Operating Officer, leads NIKE’s manufacturing, sourcing, technology, procurement and demand and supply management organizations. He also oversees the company’s robust and innovative supply chain. As COO, Sprunk closely focuses on Nike’s critical capabilities, connecting internal functions under an integrated Global Operations team. This structure also gives Sprunk oversight of an Office of Workplace Design and Connectivity, which aims to create physical environments for the company that unlock continued innovation and creativity.

Sprunk spent seven years as an executive at PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP before joining NIKE in 1993, working in a variety of senior financial, commercial, product and global-management roles. He is a graduate of The University of Montana."

John G. Connors

Mr. Connors, 59, a director since 2005, is a partner in Ignition Partners LLC, a Seattle-area venture capital firm. Mr. Connors served as Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Microsoft Corporation from December 1999 to May 2005. He joined Microsoft in 1989 and held various management positions, including Corporate Controller from 1994 to 1996, Chief Information Officer from 1996 to 1999, and Vice President, Worldwide Enterprise Group in 1999. Mr. Connors is currently a member of the board of directors of Splunk, Inc. and privately held companies Chef, Inc., Motif Investing, Inc., FiREapps, Inc., ICERTIS, Inc., Tempered Networks Inc., Azuqua, Inc., LiveStories Inc., KenSci Inc., the Washington Policy Center, and the University of Washington Tyee Club."

Sprunk's son was the UM starting center the past several years. Connors' three sons are recruited by the Griz, and one played at UM for a year. Both have been large UM donors, including for athletics.
Craig Zanon (former UM Basketball player) is now VP and head of Nike Global basketball operations also. His brother, Scott, is or was the National Manager of College Team Sales at Nike.

bgbigdog said:

"Have you noticed that all men’s clothing has gone the tight suit route? If you’re not squeezed into it, you’re not wearing it right. Making it tighter because they’re not putting as much cloth into the product makes them some more money & fat guys like me more self-conscious. "

I'm going to use this with my wife! Thanks!!! :thumb:

bgbigdog said:

Well lucky for me then, because ALL my suits are now tight-fitting. :oops: :oops:

kemajic said:
bgbigdog said:

I'm with you; their stuff is always undersized so I never buy it for myself, but we will definitely put them out of business by refusing to buy any Nike or Jordans for the grandkids. Nike now sits alongside the NFL on my list of ghosts of former past.

I guess I'm a trendsetter. I haven't bought a Nike product in probably 10 years, nor have I watched much NFL in the last 10 years. If it weren't for ESPN I probably wouldn't know who Carly Humperdink is...

grizindabox said:
Nike knows what they are doing. This thread is a lot about nothing.

Yep, this whole issue is a big nothing that will have zero impact on the University. UM is in great hands with Nike. Go Griz!

Do7E1y9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back