• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The lack of a run game

alabamagrizzly

Obviously the run game is in very bad shape. Eastwood’s 37 yard run on 4th and 1 skews the stats a bit. If that’s a run attempt in any other situation(1st and 10, 2nd and 8, so on and so on) it likely doesn't go to the house. Minus that run the RB’s are a combined 25 attempts for 34 yards. That’s 1.4 yards a carry. Calhoun coming back isn’t gonna fix this either. It’s an O line issue. If it’s experience then it will improve down the road. If it’s scheme and coaching then those adjustments can be made too. If it’s just that these guys are better pass blockers then run blockers, then we may have more issues and as we go deeper into the season, we are going to become very one dimensional, if we’re not already.

There’s room for the young guys to improve over the season, but it’s pretty clear that we are going to struggle against everyone running the ball. Throwing extra blockers into it isn’t going to do anything if the main guys can’t get any push whatsoever.

I’m actually blown away by how *adequate* the pass blocking has looked for the most part: not great in the slightest, but not as bad as even some recent lines have looked in the last three years.

Buckle up this year, Griz fans.

Coach Hauck was saying in his pre-game interview that the O-line was going to be a problem all year and that he had accepted that the run game is going to struggle. It will be "interesting" to watch them come along as they get more experience and coaching.

It doesn't seem to be a coaching issue or a youth issue but a straight up athletic issue. It never made sense why Stitt couldn't get the guys that could make a push up front, but he didn't. Coaches recognized it right away and have been consistently realistic with what to expect. As more film is able to be seen, opposing teams will really start to exploit that weakness. The wild card opposing teams will have difficulty with is our stacked receiving core and a mobile quarterback who is committed to improving each game.

It will be fun to see how the staff motivates these guys for this road game since our away record has been so below average for so long.

Before weighing in on this subject, I’m waiting for Growler’s upcoming comprehensive tutorial post on the subject entitled, Blockers Block.

Only then will I feel comfortable discussing this topic. :roll:

BornGrizz said:
It doesn't seem to be a coaching issue or a youth issue but a straight up athletic issue. It never made sense why Stitt couldn't get the guys that could make a push up front, but he didn't. Coaches recognized it right away and have been consistently realistic with what to expect. As more film is able to be seen, opposing teams will really start to exploit that weakness. The wild card opposing teams will have difficulty with is our stacked receiving core and a mobile quarterback who is committed to improving each game.

It will be fun to see how the staff motivates these guys for this road game since our away record has been so below average for so long.

yes, it is obviously stitt's fault, although i thought bobby was going to transform these players, and the team was going to be ground and pound (there are only a few thousand posts on here claiming so), etc etc

having said that, i think calhoun will make a difference, at least as long as he stays healthy.

argh! said:
BornGrizz said:

yes, it is obviously stitt's fault, although i thought bobby was going to transform these players, and the team was going to be ground and pound (there are only a few thousand posts on here claiming so), etc etc

having said that, i think calhoun will make a difference, at least as long as he stays healthy.

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah..

grizcountry420 said:
argh! said:
BornGrizz said:

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah..

precisely. i actually thought the coaches did an ok job with play calling, as they didn't insist on 'establishing the run' ala delaney. other aspects of their coaching, i.e. special teams, and overall discipline (10 penalties) were not so good, particularly in the first half, which was one of the ugliest halves of football i've seen in a while. as in the past few years, the griz played well enough to beat a not-so-good team, but looked like they would struggle against a better squad, i.e. the northern iowa team that showed up in the second half last week.

With the pressure Sneed was under I do not think it is they are better pass blockers. Bobby knew was an issue when took the job but really haven't seen much transfer help. Thought he would get a couple JC or dropdowns that would make the starting lineup, but that wasn't the case. Thought for a few years now Germer would make something out of the crew, but not showing up.

Patience....I firmly believe this is not the team we will be watching in a month. I'm not talking about a new kid walking on to the roster, but the O-line will get better. Schemes will change, team will adjust to be more efficient, keep Sneed on his feet more.

Ursa Major said:
Before weighing in on this subject, I’m waiting for Growler’s upcoming comprehensive tutorial post on the subject entitled, Blockers Block.

I already schooled you ladies before the season, and once again before this game on this topic. It's obvious that I live in your head, and enjoy doing so. You and the girls should change your Tampax if you want to talk football.

Everything I said pre-game this week was correct. That the O-line would continue to suck, as Bobby has stated in different, more politically-correct terms, and that Akem should be starting over Curran. Curran was not injured, bobby just got tired of his mental errors and inserted Akem, who then proceeded to confirm my evaluations. Keep reading my posts and learn something, or, continue being Ursa Minus.

argh! said:
BornGrizz said:

No RB can make this sow's ear of an O-line look better. Keep hoping, ans keep being disappointed. How Many times does Bobby have to state it in public before the rest of you get it?

4theluvofgriz said:
argh! said:
BornGrizz said:

No RB can make this sow's ear of an O-line look better. Keep hoping, ans keep being disappointed. How Many times does Bobby have to state it in public before the rest of you get it?

But if they start blocking better, it could open up some better running lanes and allow the RBs to gain more yardage. I doubt you've ever considered that.

4theluvofgriz said:
Ursa Major said:

I already schooled you ladies before the season, and once again before this game on this topic. It's obvious that I live in your head, and enjoy doing so. You and the girls should change your Tampax if you want to talk football.

Everything I said pre-game this week was correct. That the O-line would continue to suck, as Bobby has stated in different, more politically-correct terms, and that Akem should be starting over Curran. Curran was not injured, bobby just got tired of his mental errors and inserted Akem, who then proceeded to confirm my evaluations. Keep reading my posts and learn something, or, continue being Ursa Minus.

Curran was injured. He went to the locker room in the 2d quarter with what looked like a shoulder injury, maybe a separation according to a medical professional sitting next to me. Brint told me he got injured in the second series.

PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:
Ursa Major said:

Curran was injured. He went to the locker room in the 2d quarter with what looked like a shoulder injury, maybe a separation according to a medical professional sitting next to me. Brint told me he got injured in the second series.

Maybe his ass was sore from a Bobby butt chewing after false starting

PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:
Ursa Major said:

I sat in the second row behind the Griz bench. Curran was pulled after he caused a motion penalty, and never returned. He was standing 10 feet from me the rest of the game, with no ice on his shoulder. His body language indicated that he was pissed that he was not in the game. I know you call yourself a "player rep", but you are nothing more than fake news on this board, spinning the facts to advance your agenda.

UM had 26 runs for 133 yards, 3 TD's and an average of 4.6 per rush. Eastwood and Sneed averaged 4.5 and 5 yards per carry. Eastwood scored 2 rushing TD's. The other 2 running backs each had 2 carries.

UM had 1 rush in the 1st quarter. No rushes by rb in 1st drive of 2d quarter. 1 in the second drive, for a short TD. 0 in the 3d drive of 2d quarter. 1 in 4th drive of 2d quarter.

Drake had 37 rushes for 78 yards, and a 2.1 average per carry. 49 of those came on the fake punt. So, .8 average by the running backs and qb in regular rushing. That's the definition of the lack of a running game.

4theluvofgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:
Ursa Major said:

I sat in the second row behind the Griz bench. Curran was pulled after he caused a motion penalty, and never returned. He was standing 10 feet from me the rest of the game, with no ice on his shoulder. His body language indicated that he was pissed that he was not in the game. I know you call yourself a "player rep", but you are nothing more than fake news on this board, spinning the facts to advance your agenda.

He went to the locker room during the 2d quarter, or someone wearing no 6 dd (according to the people around me, one of whom is a former Griz player). You need to pay more attention. He's right in front of you and you don't see him taken to the locker room during the 2d quarter? So, you are saying you saw him standing in front of your in the second half. I didn't notice him or look for hm, but I don't know where he was. Yes, I saw him taken out after the false start in the first half.

Ask Brint if he got hurt.

4theluvofgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:
Ursa Major said:

Great insight. The thing about ice is that it can make whatever it touches colder, and it is necessarily applied to every injury no matter what; even buttcrack warts. Injured people also never look pissed.

Back