• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Power Rankings 2018

Colter_Nuanez56

‪BIG SKY POWER RANKINGS: First week of October 2018
https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-power-rankings-first-week-of-october-2018/

Thanks for sharing the article, Colter! One clarification, who ranked Sam Houston State #4 the week they were upset by North Dakota?

I agree with most except for Sac State and I would flip EWU and Weber.
1. EWU- They just had a nice road win...and have looked more consistent than anyone else
2. Weber
3. UCD
4. Montana
5. Idaho State
6. Sac State- Have proven in games that they can compete and are a fast albeit streaky football team
7. Montana State- Everything is on TA and TA alone
8. NAU
9 SUU
10. CP
11. Idaho
12. PSU
13. UNCO

grizband said:
Thanks for sharing the article, Colter! One clarification, who ranked Sam Houston State #4 the week they were upset by North Dakota?

Sam Houston State was ranked No. 4 by Hero Sports and No. 5 by STATS the week before losing to North Dakota. SHSU is No. 17 this week.

AZGrizFan said:
Really? Weber's win over USD was more impressive than Montana's win over UNI?

Colter isn’t exactly unbiased. In fact, I heard he picked us to lose to sac by at least one or two scores. Shows how much colter knows. That said, swap sac state and Montana state and I say he’s got it right.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Colter isn’t exactly unbiased. In fact, I heard he picked us to lose to sac by at least one or two scores. Shows how much colter knows. That said, swap sac state and Montana state and I say he’s got it right.

I actually think the Sac State team I saw in Missoula is better than the Montana State team I watched last week in Bozeman mainly because of Kevin Thomson's talent at quarterback. But Sac's best win is Northern Colorado and Montana State's best win is Western Illinois, advantage MSU in this first power poll.

I did pick Sac State to beat Montana by 10 points live on ESPN radio. You can listen to the podcast if you'd like. Not sure how that has anything to do with bias. I would not have picked Montana to lose to Sac State if I would've known first-team All-Big Sky DE George Obinna, All-Big Sky DT Dariyn Choates and All-Big Sky CB Dre Terrell would not play.

Those injuries were not the only factor in my prediction being incorrect. This Montana team is flat better than I thought they were. Dalton Sneed is better, the coaching is better, the defensive scheme is better, Dante Olson is better, the converted wide receivers playing cornerback are better...pretty much across the board, it's all better than I expected it to be even given what I watched during spring ball, fall camp and in the non-conference.

Now Montana has a real chance to continue building momentum through the month heading into the late October showdown with UC Davis. It will be fun to watch.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
grizband said:

Sam Houston State was ranked No. 4 by Hero Sports and No. 5 by STATS the week before losing to North Dakota. SHSU is No. 17 this week.
Fair enough; I still think all of those numbers are too high :lol:

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Ironic that he gets criticized for being a GRIZ homer on the bobcat forum and then gets the opposite here. I don't think hes a homer for either and I listen to I think every podcast. I do think he expected MSU to be better than Montana through the first couple weeks he still doubted montana a lot but can you blame him? we have been overrated for quite a few years

mtgrizfankb said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Ironic that he gets criticized for being a GRIZ homer on the bobcat forum and then gets the opposite here. I don't think hes a homer for either and I listen to I think every podcast. I do think he expected MSU to be better than Montana through the first couple weeks he still doubted montana a lot but can you blame him? we have been overrated for quite a few years

Coaching, we can all see the results. Bobby's teams in the past always seemed to get better as the year goes on. I think some of us go so spoiled by all of the winning we didn't notice it, maybe even took it for granted.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

I actually think the Sac State team I saw in Missoula is better than the Montana State team I watched last week in Bozeman mainly because of Kevin Thomson's talent at quarterback. But Sac's best win is Northern Colorado and Montana State's best win is Western Illinois, advantage MSU in this first power poll.

I did pick Sac State to beat Montana by 10 points live on ESPN radio. You can listen to the podcast if you'd like. Not sure how that has anything to do with bias. I would not have picked Montana to lose to Sac State if I would've known first-team All-Big Sky DE George Obinna, All-Big Sky DT Dariyn Choates and All-Big Sky CB Dre Terrell would not play.

Those injuries were not the only factor in my prediction being incorrect. This Montana team is flat better than I thought they were. Dalton Sneed is better, the coaching is better, the defensive scheme is better, Dante Olson is better, the converted wide receivers playing cornerback are better...pretty much across the board, it's all better than I expected it to be even given what I watched during spring ball, fall camp and in the non-conference.

Now Montana has a real chance to continue building momentum through the month heading into the late October showdown with UC Davis. It will be fun to watch.

You never addressed my initial issue: you think Weber’s win over USD is a better win than Montana’s over UNI? Esplain please...

AZGrizFan said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

You never addressed my initial issue: you think Weber’s win over USD is a better win than Montana’s over UNI? Esplain please...

I think he probably thinks the fact WSU handled USD was more impressive than us scuffling to hold on in the second half of the UNI game. There are a lot of people that think we lucked out on the UNI win. Much like I think MSU lucked out on their WIU win.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

This is a pretty cool post. When it first started out, I kind of wanted to strangle you, but you pulled it together at the end.
I still think your ranking order is wrong. Seems like you’re smitten with offensive stats and do not give enough credit to teams with a good D. IMHO, Ewho and UM 2 are the most complete teams:
Ewho
UM
Weebs
UCD
ISU
Suck st
NAU
MSU
ID
Cow poly
SUU
UNCU
Pee-U

mtgrizfankb said:
AZGrizFan said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

I think he probably thinks the fact WSU handled USD was more impressive than us scuffling to hold on in the second half of the UNI game. There are a lot of people that think we lucked out on the UNI win. Much like I think MSU lucked out on their WIU win.

"Lucky" wins count the same as "earned" wins.

'68griz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
AZGrizFan said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

yes they are but these are power rankings not conference rankings. Therefore the USD win in a convincing manner showed more power than our UNI game which we held on for dear life.

garizzalies said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

This is a pretty cool post. When it first started out, I kind of wanted to strangle you, but you pulled it together at the end.
I still think your ranking order is wrong. Seems like you’re smitten with offensive stats and do not give enough credit to teams with a good D. IMHO, Ewho and UM 2 are the most complete teams:
Ewho
UM
Weebs
UCD
ISU
Suck st
NAU
MSU
ID
Cow poly
SUU
UNCU
Pee-U

If he were smitten with offensive stats and not giving enough credit to teams with a good D, he surely wouldn't have Weber #1.

mtgrizfankb said:
'68griz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
AZGrizFan said:

yes they are but these are power rankings not conference rankings. Therefore the USD win in a convincing manner showed more power than our UNI game which we held on for dear life.
UNI is a better team than USD, though.

SWeberCat02 said:
garizzalies said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Ewho
UM
Weebs
UCD
ISU
Suck st
NAU
MSU
ID
Cow poly
SUU
UNCU
Pee-U

If he were smitten with offensive stats and not giving enough credit to teams with a good D, he surely wouldn't have Weber #1.
That’s fair and why I have Weebs near my top; they weren’t who I had in mind when I made that comment. In fact, they seem like the opposite of that, or the one exception to me. Weebs seem stout but not nearly as explosive as UM and Ecrap

Back