"The Battle of the Domes"

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
Diesel

Re: "The Battle of the Domes"

Post by Diesel » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:55 am

Diesel wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:54 am
CDA you didn’t explain why the home team changed to the other sideline a few years ago.
At Holt Arena

Ursa Major
eGriz Club

Post by Ursa Major » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:38 am

garizzalies wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 pm
I always thought when these 2 areas were built, after WW2 and into the Cold War, they were first designed to be bomb shelters...??? Have I been wrong this whole time?
Football can’t possibly be their original intended purpose
This is a common misconception, Garizzalies. Steven H. Holt Arena, with it's roll up floors, was originally designed to serve as a meat packing plant on Monday-Friday. This is in part due to ISU's longest running academic program, the College of Butchering & Processing Meat and Meat byproducts. The original plan was to have the meat packing plant shut down on Friday evenings, hose things off and then roll out the turf for Saturday's big game or the Southeast Idaho RV, Boat, or Sportsman's Shows.
Post Like A Champion!

SouthDakotaGrizzly

Post by SouthDakotaGrizzly » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:51 am

I thought "Brawl of the Wild" was pretty damn lame when they first conceived that name, but it's grown on me some (although I never actually call it that). But "Battle of the Domes" has got to be the stupidest name for a rivalry game I've ever heard.
In Montana, there's FOUR things we're never late for: church, work, fishing and GRIZZLY FOOTBALL!

AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

Post by AZGrizFan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:53 am

footballdood wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:35 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:54 pm
Idaho's rivals were named Montana & ISU.
Montana lost EWU and picked up Idaho.
EWU lost Montana and picked up PSU (I believe).
Nope, EWU traded Montana for Idaho. EWU Is still stuck with PSU unfortunately.
Oh that’s right. EWU was Idaho’s other rival inthe changes
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

SaskGriz

Post by SaskGriz » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:09 am

Ursa Major wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:38 am
garizzalies wrote:
I always thought when these 2 areas were built, after WW2 and into the Cold War, they were first designed to be bomb shelters...??? Have I been wrong this whole time?
This is a common misconception, Garizzalies. Steven H. Holt Arena, with it's roll up floors, was originally designed to serve as a meat packing plant on Monday-Friday. This is in part due to ISU's longest running academic program, the College of Butchering & Processing Meat and Meat byproducts. The original plan was to have the meat packing plant shut down on Friday evenings, hose things off and then roll out the turf for Saturday's big game or the Southeast Idaho RV, Boat, or Sportsman's Shows.
This is correct except that the high desert around ISU means that the cattle are so skinny it's actually the College of Processing Meat byproducts and carcass management. Also the Boat shows are so locals can capitalise on the proximity to Great Salt Lake and fish for additional wives.

PDXGrizzly
eGriz Club

Post by PDXGrizzly » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:22 am

AZGrizFan wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:54 pm
Idaho's rivals were named Montana & ISU.
Montana lost EWU and picked up Idaho.
EWU lost Montana and picked up PSU (I believe).
PSU was already a protected game (even has a trophy).

AllWeatherFan
eGriz Club

Post by AllWeatherFan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 am

Ursa Major wrote:
garizzalies wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening.

BadlandsGrizFan

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:18 am

CDAGRIZ wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:04 pm
alabamagrizzly wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:03 pm
First off you can’t call a quonset hut a dome. Battle of the sheds is more accurate.
Noted. So, which shed wins?

1. Holt Arena
Capacity: Listed: 12,000. AFA (adjusted for attendance): 426.
Unique Characteristics: Goalposts hang from the rafters because the field goes sideways. Also, the field goes sideways. Seats resemble a swing shift at the Crayola factory. In 1985, an ISU junior named Chad Handy was caught engaging in pre-marital, public necking (not making out, just rubbing necks) with his girlfriend on the ramp leading down to the field during the third quarter of a football game. Both students were expelled and banned from the arena for life. To this day, there are numerous "No Handy" placards posted around the arena. Limited endzone seating.

2. Kibbie -A SUI Activity Center
Capacity: Listed: 16,000; AFA: 1,227.
Unique Characteristics: Plexi-glass walls. Goalposts also hang from the rafters or are bolted onto the walls. In late 1996, noted CFB enthusiast CDAGRIZ said to his mother, "[The Kibbie Dome] is the worst f***[*] venue in the history of football. Not just college football; all football." His mother replied, "I asked if you wanted frozen burritos or frozen pizza rolls." Limited endzone seating.

I'll give the nod to Holt Arena. More history. More quirkiness. More shed.
Hahahahaa POTY nominee right here.

Pure gold
Montana is no place for the idler, the penniless, the feeble in will or body!

IdaGriz01

Post by IdaGriz01 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:21 am

SaskGriz wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:09 am
Ursa Major wrote:
... big game or the Southeast Idaho RV, Boat, or Sportsman's Shows.
This is correct except that the high desert around ISU means that the cattle are so skinny it's actually the College of Processing Meat byproducts and carcass management. Also the Boat shows are so locals can capitalise on the proximity to Great Salt Lake and fish for additional wives.
All good points, but you guys are ignoring one of the unforgettable features of the Holt: Indoor rodeo. (For a time, Pokie hosted the National Finals Rodeo.) Not sure how much they do this now, but one advantage of the big shed was that you never missed a sniff of the animal ... Uuuh ... excrement. Cow piss at ten yards makes for a truly memorable experience.

Ursa Major
eGriz Club

Post by Ursa Major » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:40 am

SaskGriz wrote:
Ursa Major wrote:
garizzalies wrote:
Thank you for the correction, Sask! I don't know many ISU grads who DON"T have a minor in Tannery.
Post Like A Champion!

Ursa Major
eGriz Club

Post by Ursa Major » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:42 am

IdaGriz01 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:21 am
SaskGriz wrote:
Ursa Major wrote:
All good points, but you guys are ignoring one of the unforgettable features of the Holt: Indoor rodeo. (For a time, Pokie hosted the National Finals Rodeo.) Not sure how much they do this now, but one advantage of the big shed was that you never missed a sniff of the animal ... Uuuh ... excrement. Cow piss at ten yards makes for a truly memorable experience.
Wow, so inside the arena smelled just like outside the arena? Gross!
Post Like A Champion!

SaskGriz

Post by SaskGriz » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:43 am

:thumb:
Ursa Major wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:40 am
SaskGriz wrote:
Ursa Major wrote:
garizzalies wrote:
Thank you for the correction, Sask! I don't know many ISU grads who DON"T have a minor in Tannery.

Htowngriz

Post by Htowngriz » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:10 pm

IdaGriz01 wrote:
SaskGriz wrote:
Ursa Major wrote:
Not to mention the women doing their business wherever they pleased.

CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club

Post by CDAGRIZ » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:10 pm
IdaGriz01 wrote:
SaskGriz wrote:
Ursa Major wrote:
Not to mention the women doing their business wherever they pleased.
No, he mentioned the cattle.
Ahhhhh, I'll see myself out.

CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club

Post by CDAGRIZ » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Diesel wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:55 am
Diesel wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:54 am
CDA you didn’t explain why the home team changed to the other sideline a few years ago.
At Holt Arena
Just trying to minimize the chance of undercover Handies. Not sure if it worked or not. Kind of an Old Fanshioned measure if you ask me . . .