• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

So how do we fix it?

StumptownGriz

Instead of throwing players/coaches under the bus, pointing fingers and posters arguing about who's athletic glory days were more impressive, let's talk solutions. We are starting a major rebuild. We are just a couple years removed from NCAA sanctions. Stitt taking over for Delaney was an extremely difficult rebuild and now we are staring a new one with another completely new philosophy. Running Gresch Jensen out of town did us no favors this season but like I did with Stitt I want to trust Bobby's vision and give him 4-5 years to get the ship righted. We are an extremely young team with some major holes. We lost a ton of young OLine talent.Rebuilding it has to be priority #1. Second mistake was not addressing the CB position. The perceived lack of attention to a crucial position was troubling. UND showed us what good corners can do for your defense, especially at this level. QB is right there with OLine and CB. I have not been a Sneed fan from the jump as a passer but his grit, competativeness and heart I love. Kid just has zero touch. The difference between Sneed and Jensen throwing the deep ball is shocking. Is Graves the answer or the kid from Polson? Guess we will see.

So what are your solutions moving forward for OLine, CB and QB. Do we go the JC route? Or take our lumps this year and next developing young talent? We could probably add RB into these groups. Outside of Eastwood who doesnt really do anything special what do we have? Seems Bobby wants nothing to do with Calhoun and Lee.

Ok rant over. Any thoughts? Ideas?

WJ2wRQb.jpg

One thing you can look at it the costly price of turnovers and what happens after them.

UNI: 0 points
Drake: 0 points
WIU: 7 points
Sac: 0 points
Poly: 0 points

PSU: 19 points
UND: 35 points

----------

So on their 4-1 start just 7 points surrendered after a turnover. Now on their 2 game losing streak 54 points. Ouch.

Ball security and smart play seems to be a real key factor when pulling apart stats. Additionally the defense has to make some stops after turnovers happen, that's not occurred in the last two weeks.

Good question. Don't know the answers, at least for this year.

Moving Calhoun to corner was a very good move.

I don't recall the corners being the big problem yesterday. One fell, allowing an easy TD. Help me out on this. Sandry was involved in one or more TD's. He's not a corner.

I still don't understand or agree with the Delaney rebuild comments. Delaney's last 2 teams ended up no. 12 and no. 8 in the final FCS polls. Why was there a big re-build necessary? I understand that the offensive schemed completely changed, just as it did this year. Both Stitt and Hauck have had to adopt their schemes to the personnel in their first years, and maybe longer.

Sneed has a higher completion percentage than Jensen did last year, and Jensen has this year. Sneed is on pace to throw fewer picks than Jensen did last year. How do you reconcile those facts with your view of Sneed's passing? Note that Jensen throw more short and swing passes last year, than Jensen does. Agree on the long pass accuracy comments.

BWahlberg said:
One thing you can look at it the costly price of turnovers and what happens after them.

UNI: 0 points
Drake: 0 points
WIU: 7 points
Sac: 0 points
Poly: 0 points

PSU: 19 points
UND: 35 points

----------

So on their 4-1 start just 7 points surrendered after a turnover. Now on their 2 game losing streak 54 points. Ouch.

Ball security and smart play seems to be a real key factor when pulling apart stats. Additionally the defense has to make some stops after turnovers happen, that's not occurred in the last two weeks.

I completely agree. This seems so obvious to me. The mystery is how/why UM has had so many turnovers in 3 games (the losses), and so few in the other games (the wins). I understand how this happens once, made even twice, but 3 of 7 games? I just don't get it. And much of it has come from the receiver corp. Supposedly a strength of the team. And much of the TO problem has come early in the game, or late in the game. Sneed wasn't the big TO problem yesterday, but had a hand in it the other two times.

OL has been a problem for several years. My view is the problem is critical and must be fixed. Yes, the JC route should be considered.

PlayerRep said:

I don't recall the corners being the big problem yesterday. One fell, allowing an easy TD. Help me out on this. Sandry was involved in one or more TD's. He's not a corner.
I'm certainly not an expert at evaluating corner play, but it looked to me that Nash was getting beaten repeatedly. Not sure we can ever expect great one on one coverage by safeties on WRs. Where was the corner help?

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

I'm certainly not an expert at evaluating corner play, but it looked to me that Nash was getting beaten repeatedly. Not sure we can ever expect great one on one coverage by safeties on WRs. Where was the corner help?

Yep. Like a rented mule. He finally started playing 7-10 yards off the LOS just so he wouldn’t get beat deep, opening up the shorter passes.

The turnover stats are sure illuminating.

If it were a bunch of interceptions, I could see the genesis being easier to understand, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Griz team that I can recall fumble it as much as this team has over three separate games.

Bobby made a point in his post-game comments reiterating that players that put the ball on the ground won’t play.

But what do you do when it’s practically the entire team?

PlayerRep said:
Sneed has a higher completion percentage than Jensen did last year, and Jensen has this year. Sneed is on pace to throw fewer picks than Jensen did last year. How do you reconcile those facts with your view of Sneed's passing? Note that Jensen throw more short and swing passes last year, than Jensen does.

Your love affair with Sneed is growing thin.

And your last sentence is complete gibberish.

uofmman1122 said:
Bobby made a point in his post-game comments reiterating that players that put the ball on the ground won’t play.
Unless it's Jerry Louie or Curran apparently.

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:

Or Sneed.
Or Bingham.
Or....the list goes on and on.

First of all "we" as in e-griz aren't going to fix it, thank God that is not our job because I would really lose all hope if that were the case :roll: . Secondly, the title assumes "it" can be fixed and if I interpret correctly "it" means losing or at least playing competitively with the best in the BSC and beating the second and third tier teams on a year to year basis. But maybe that "it" isn't coming back. Times have changed since Hauck's first stint and automatically loading up year after year in the recruiting game is tough if your not winning. I'm not sure how our current verbals are feeling about their decision today but if they are questioning their feelings that would be legitimate. Fans could make their lives easier by not immediately anointing every Griz recruit as the second coming of Dickinson or Hilliard or whomever your favorite is.

Additionally not every coach gets to win every year and many never win jack in terms of championships. Hauck may win more but there is the possibility that he won't. At some point we all need to balance our rah rah fan yearnings with the reality games in general. We won't win them all.

Finally you might wan't to look at Griz Football in the same light as the other programs at UM. Enrollment down, budget in the shitter, faculty layoffs. So why are you surprised at the turn in the football program? Is it something separate from UM? You can continue to blame this on Engstrom or the Missoulian or on all liberals or on all conservatives but that won't "fix it" either. I know for some it leaves you with nothing to do but bitch and whine, because WE can't fix it, and on the bright side you have the perfect forum for doing that.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:

Or Sneed.
Or Bingham.
Exactly, which is why it’s a bigger problem than just blanket discipline can address.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:

Or Sneed.
Or Bingham.

And Toure.

Hard to bench the bulk of the receiving corp and the starting qb.

Maybe when a dumb play call is given the coach sits, or when oline can't block 3 guys the coach sits, or part of the secondary in man and others in zone the coach sits. My point....these last two losses are far deeper than the players performances.

junior college must come into play big time in my view regarding o/l and d/b....our o/l is a sieve and Nash was beaten badly on several plays.....help is needed now in these areas....we may get lucky and get a drop down or two which would be nice.....otherwise it will be three to four years before we can develop these groups....this all made more challenging as they are the two most difficult groups recruit.

TO's are an issue, but I still think we lose that game even if we were even on TO's. We got beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I get that we were playing from behind all of yesterday, but 27 total rushing yards by our RB's isn't going to get it done. We do not have a 4 man pass rush. Not sure if we even recorded a sack yesterday or really got any pressure on the QB. For a secondary that has had some coverage issues, giving their QB that much time and get comfortable, makes it very difficult on our DB's.

Back