• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What to do with the bye week

mtgrizrule

WOW, after the worse 2 game performance in a few decades, a much needed bye week is here. This GRIZ team has so many issues. How many of the issues can be improved upon in 2 weeks? To be fair, Bobby Hauck didn't set false expectations for this season. He warned us all, there would be a lot of growing pains. So where do we start?

(1) Offensive line- this group is young, beat up and not very deep. That is not a very good formula for future success. I honestly believe, the offense doesn't improve much, if this group doesn't start playing consistently well. For those who know offensive line play, what can the coaches do to improve their play?

(2) QB play- we have seen both extremes with Sneed as starting qb. I feel for the guy, his improvement is so dependent upon better OL play. At some point, he needs to learn to go through transgressions. It seems to me, if his 1st or 2nd option are not there, he is off and running. How much is he to blame for that? He is doing what he can to protect himself and make something with nothing. I feel, he is capable of more consistency, if he has improved OL play.

What can be improved on right now to help the team? Seriously, have him get as many reps as possible throwing the long ball. Even when he has the time to throw a long pass, he has struggled throwing an accurate deep ball. Because of that, the offense leaves 7 to 14 points on the field each game. Despite all the struggles, this team would be a 1 loss team right now, if Sneed had consistency with the deep ball. Until the next game, have Sneed prove he can have success with the deep ball.

Split 1st teams reps with Sneed and Humphrey, to see what each has at this stage moving forward. At least Sneed's running gives him a chance at surviving with bad OL play. Could Humphrey have the awareness in the pocket to get rid of the ball quick enough when pressured, being he doesn't have the luxury of running skills like Sneed does? The little we have seen of Humphrey, I do like how well he throws.

Should Bobby consider having each qb have designated drives during games? Normally, I am not in favor of QB roulette, but under these circumstances, everything has to be considered.

(3) Pass rush- I'm surprised that more people have not mentioned this being a little problematic. The GRIZ absolutely have to figure out ways to generate more QB pressure from the DL. I've said it a few times here, and believe it "Get Sims more reps at DE"!!!!! If not that, get Randy Rodriguez out of the doghouse!!! That kid was damn impressive last season. He appears to me as an impact pass rusher and difference maker. Yet we see so little of him on the field this season, why? What did he do to get in Hauck's doghouse? Is there any hope of him and/or Calhoun getting out of that doghouse? Come on Bobby, enough is enough, let those kids out of your doghouse. The team needs them. Any other suggestions?

(4) Pass coverage- what has happened to the GRIZ DB's the last few games. A few games ago, the unit looked solid with huge upside potential. Since then Sandry, Robertson, Calhoun, and Nash have consistently struggled with their assignments. Miller and Hauck are a little more consistent. Hauck makes a lot of tackles, but seems a little off too. Miller is the only consistent one of the group of late. Is it a matter of having to cover too long, due to very little DL pressure? This group has to own up and step up. The talent and potential is there.

(5) Running game- it has improved over the season, but why aren't Calhoun and/or Lee contributing more? When healthy, Calhoun has proven to be a great back. Lee brings a little of everythning to the table. I do like Eastwood, but feel too much is on his plate right now. As mentioned earlier, will Calhoun ever get out of Hauck's dog house? How close is the OL to allowing the running game the opportunity to be a bigger part of the offense?

(6) WR dropped passes- like it or not, got admit it, this group has let their QB down way too often. They absolutely have to catch and secure the ball more consistently. This group seems to have actually regressed significantly this season. To me, the exception has been Akem. He's made the most of his opportunities thus far this season. He's improved a lot from last season, and is making a lot of tough catches. Yes, the OL and QB play has been inconsistent, but there is no excuse for the high number of drops and/or fumbles by this group. Even this group improving on it's own will help this offense and team as a whole.

My hope is improvment in all these areas. Who will step up, who will lead, how much can this team do with a much needed bye week?

Buy a football for each player and make them carry it around literally everywhere for the whole two weeks.

Class. Parties. The shower. Doctor’s appointments. Brunch with grandma. You name it.

Replace the entire OL with reserves. If we have enough reserve players. What is there to lose? The current players don’t block.
Bench, every player responsible for a turnover for one quarter, maybe longer.
Another poster talks about focus. These actions will teach them focus.

Spanky2 said:
Replace the entire OL with reserves. If we have enough reserve players. What is there to lose? The current players don’t block.

This would blow the redshirts of 2 true frosh o-line backups, which UM hopes to redshirt. So, that's one downside.

Now I’m back to level I would say let these kids heal up, get caught up on home work, and try and figure out why the ball seems so slippery. They need to just regroup and put und behind them. I can’t even imagine the shell shock these guys are going through so we(me included) need to back off and give them time(2 weeks) to get things figured out. I do agree that the turnover problem needs to be addressed in a matter of fact fashion by the coaching staff.

Go Griz!

Hit the JC recruiting trail for CB and OL guys. Going to need a great year of signing these guys to make any strides next year. This ball cannot be dropped again

PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

This would blow the redshirts of 2 true frosh o-line backups, which UM hopes to redshirt. So, that's one downside.
They can play four games and still redshirt.

mtgrizrule said:
...get Randy Rodriguez out of the doghouse!!! That kid was damn impressive last season. He appears to me as an impact pass rusher and difference maker. Yet we see so little of him on the field this season, why? What did he do to get in Hauck's doghouse? Is there any hope of him and/or Calhoun getting out of that doghouse? Come on Bobby, enough is enough, let those kids out of your doghouse.

Jesus, 'rule, are you trying to get INTO Hauck's doghouse?!

PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

Would it? Only 4 games left. New rule, they’d still be true frosh

Ursus1 said:
Hit the JC recruiting trail for CB and OL guys. Going to need a great year of signing these guys to make any strides next year. This ball cannot be dropped again

And drop downs. So so thin I just hate that they didn't get more when we all knew it was needed. Shows why at this point.

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

At least one of them has already played this year. In fact, he started a game or two.

And what about the playoffs? Have you given up on the season?

uofmman1122 said:
Buy a football for each player and make them carry it around literally everywhere for the whole two weeks.

Class. Parties. The shower. Doctor’s appointments. Brunch with grandma. You name it.

X1000

mtgrizrule said:
WOW, after the worse 2 game performance in a few decades, a much needed bye week is here. This GRIZ team has so many issues. How many of the issues can be improved upon in 2 weeks? To be fair, Bobby Hauck didn't set false expectations for this season. He warned us all, there would be a lot of growing pains. So where do we start?

(1) Offensive line- this group is young, beat up and not very deep. That is not a very good formula for future success. I honestly believe, the offense doesn't improve much, if this group doesn't start playing consistently well. For those who know offensive line play, what can the coaches do to improve their play?

(2) QB play- we have seen both extremes with Sneed as starting qb. I feel for the guy, his improvement is so dependent upon better OL play. At some point, he needs to learn to go through transgressions. It seems to me, if his 1st or 2nd option are not there, he is off and running. How much is he to blame for that? He is doing what he can to protect himself and make something with nothing. I feel, he is capable of more consistency, if he has improved OL play.

What can be improved on right now to help the team? Seriously, have him get as many reps as possible throwing the long ball. Even when he has the time to throw a long pass, he has struggled throwing an accurate deep ball. Because of that, the offense leaves 7 to 14 points on the field each game. Despite all the struggles, this team would be a 1 loss team right now, if Sneed had consistency with the deep ball. Until the next game, have Sneed prove he can have success with the deep ball.

Split 1st teams reps with Sneed and Humphrey, to see what each has at this stage moving forward. At least Sneed's running gives him a chance at surviving with bad OL play. Could Humphrey have the awareness in the pocket to get rid of the ball quick enough when pressured, being he doesn't have the luxury of running skills like Sneed does? The little we have seen of Humphrey, I do like how well he throws.

Should Bobby consider having each qb have designated drives during games? Normally, I am not in favor of QB roulette, but under these circumstances, everything has to be considered.

(3) Pass rush- I'm surprised that more people have not mentioned this being a little problematic. The GRIZ absolutely have to figure out ways to generate more QB pressure from the DL. I've said it a few times here, and believe it "Get Sims more reps at DE"!!!!! If not that, get Randy Rodriguez out of the doghouse!!! That kid was damn impressive last season. He appears to me as an impact pass rusher and difference maker. Yet we see so little of him on the field this season, why? What did he do to get in Hauck's doghouse? Is there any hope of him and/or Calhoun getting out of that doghouse? Come on Bobby, enough is enough, let those kids out of your doghouse. The team needs them. Any other suggestions?

(4) Pass coverage- what has happened to the GRIZ DB's the last few games. A few games ago, the unit looked solid with huge upside potential. Since then Sandry, Robertson, Calhoun, and Nash have consistently struggled with their assignments. Miller and Hauck are a little more consistent. Hauck makes a lot of tackles, but seems a little off too. Miller is the only consistent one of the group of late. Is it a matter of having to cover too long, due to very little DL pressure? This group has to own up and step up. The talent and potential is there.

(5) Running game- it has improved over the season, but why aren't Calhoun and/or Lee contributing more? When healthy, Calhoun has proven to be a great back. Lee brings a little of everythning to the table. I do like Eastwood, but feel too much is on his plate right now. As mentioned earlier, will Calhoun ever get out of Hauck's dog house? How close is the OL to allowing the running game the opportunity to be a bigger part of the offense?

(6) WR dropped passes- like it or not, got admit it, this group has let their QB down way too often. They absolutely have to catch and secure the ball more consistently. This group seems to have actually regressed significantly this season. To me, the exception has been Akem. He's made the most of his opportunities thus far this season. He's improved a lot from last season, and is making a lot of tough catches. Yes, the OL and QB play has been inconsistent, but there is no excuse for the high number of drops and/or fumbles by this group. Even this group improving on it's own will help this offense and team as a whole.

My hope is improvment in all these areas. Who will step up, who will lead, how much can this team do with a much needed bye week?

https://youtu.be/ca56MXiwhE0

https://youtu.be/ca56MXiwhE0

PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

At least one of them has already played this year. In fact, he started a game or two.

Do playoffs count in those 4 games. I knew about the one but wasn’t sure if you were including him with Anderson. I fully expect to win out, plus win at least one playoff game. I am the eternal optimist. I should be winning the next 800 million Powerball also, and when I do I will donate enough to get the indoor practice facility with a matching amount for general academics

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:

Do playoffs count in those 4 games. I knew about the one but wasn’t sure if you were including him with Anderson. I fully expect to win out, plus win at least one playoff game. I am the eternal optimist. I should be winning the next 800 million Powerball also, and when I do I will donate enough to get the indoor practice facility with a matching amount for general academics

:lol: :lol:

Back