• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Looking Forward - UC Davis

HookedonGriz

DONOR
So the Griz have the #1 team in the Conference coming to play in a couple weeks. This gives them an opportunity to either make a statement or to continue going backwards. What’s it going to be:

Pros:
- hoping these last two losses have left a very bad taste in the mouths of these kids and coaches and they come out firing with a chip on their shoulder
- having Davis at home can only help the Griz and SHOULD be worth some points
- defensively Davis ranks middle of pack giving up 30 pts per game and over 440 yards per game
- will we get some banged up guys back after bye week
- having 2 weeks to prepare should help

Cons:

- Davis looks like the real deal
- very strong offensively averaging 41 pts per game along with 490 yards per game
- their QB Maier looks like the best QB in the league to me putting up big numbers each game (and that says a lot coming from a QB league)
- they have the #1 pass offense in the league at 354 yards per game (this part makes me the most nervous as it seems we have some pretty soft holes in our secondary coverage that have definitely gotten exposed)

Felt a lot better about this game prior to these last two losses. Let’s hope the kids and coaches don’t share that mentality.

I think it will be closer than last week, but like the fighting Susie’s, Davis has the horses to beat the Griz even if they play error free. Perhaps they can orchestrate Maier getting called for targeting & booted like Cap’n Cookus last season.

Expect some trickeration, nothing to lose attitude & the best effort of the season. Got no idea if that will be enough. Fight on.

It's win-win. Either we help out Davis' record, and give them a WaGriz win to pad their resume (not that it should count for much) which is a blow to the likes of EWU and Weber, which I'm fine with. Or we look respectable for once, against a quality opponent.

Either way, I'm setting my expectations low.

Two weeks for coaches to prepare, dont think they are practicing until Saturday. I think this is a good plan to get some player mental and physical rest, healing for the stretch run. Watching a few of them move on Saturday, I think a few are definitely not at 100%

In the last two games we had like 10 turnovers including blocked punts. I honestly believe Montana to be a better team then both PSU and ND. We could have and should have won both of those games.

It is very hard to over come all those easy points given to the other team.
That being said an epidemic of turnovers doesn't make the Griz a bad team.
Those are easily correctable and hopefully will be. We are still the same team who had only lost one game just before the PSU game.

We need to get back on track. Maybe shake some things up a bit and wake up the players.

IdahoGrizFan said:
In the last two games we had like 10 turnovers including blocked punts. I honestly believe Montana to be a better team then both PSU and ND. We could have and should have won both of those games.

Those are easily correctable and hopefully will be. We are still the same team who had only lost one game just before the PSU game.

We need to get back on track. Maybe shake some things up a bit and wake up the players.

No, that's jsut crazy talk. You are what you are, and you're not a better team than UND. Forget about the turnovers - they beat you in every aspect of the game, not the least of which was on both lines.

Boy will the corners and safeties be tested on the 27th. Baer needs to somehow figure a way to get pressure on Maier and still have the good coverage in the secondary. I’m assuming this is why we run a 4-2-5. To help out the secondary. Rosey needs to figure a way to keep his offense on the field and keep davis’ offense on the sideline. We lose if the score is 30+. Can grind out a win in a low scoring game. And has been said over and over and over.........HOLD ON TO THE DAMN BALL!

Go Griz!

poorgriz said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

No, that's jsut crazy talk. You are what you are, and you're not a better team than UND. Forget about the turnovers - they beat you in every aspect of the game, not the least of which was on both lines.

No, it was the turnovers. 3 in the first 5 minutes. Down 21-0. I assume you didn't even see the game. UND is a pretty good team, tho. Love their 3 running backs.

IdahoGrizFan said:

From a quick skim of the stats:

10 fumbles and 4 interceptions in 7 games.

9 fumbles and 3 interceptions in the 3 losses. Pretty amazing.

WI - 2 fumbles, 2 interceptions and 1 punt return by WI for TD
PSU- 4 fumbles, 1 blocked punt
ND - 3 fumbles, 1 interception

Other 4 games, all wins. 1 fumble, 1 interception, and 1 blocked punts and no punts returned for TD.

Bobby needs to tell the team not to fumble, not to throw interceptions, not to give up punt returns for TD's, and not to allow punts to be blocked.

Just to add 31.5% of opponents scoring come off turnovers. The turnovers were early and often and completely took this team off the game plan. I believe Bobby refers to it as script...losing is one thing but what we are doing is giving ball games away.

good things ahead as Cal Davis is a good team and when we beat them and have a clean game turn over wise we will be back on track. regardless of the bad luck the last two weeks we are better than that and going to turn the corner this week.

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

No, it was the turnovers. 3 in the first 5 minutes. Down 21-0. I assume you didn't even see the game. UND is a pretty good team, tho. Love their 3 running backs.

I watched the first half before I went into the Cat game and what I saw was the UND D line abusing your entire O line on almost every play, and the UND O line working over the griz D line. I also got the full game recap from my relatively unbiased griz fan buddy and he said the griz worked over in almost every way. He said if UND wouldn't have called off the dogs once the score hit 41 to zip it could very well have been a 60 point blowout.

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

I watched the first half before I went into the Cat game and what I saw was the UND D line abusing your entire O line on almost every play, and the UND O line working over the griz D line. I also got the full game recap from my relatively unbiased griz fan buddy and he said the griz worked over in almost every way. He said if UND wouldn't have called off the dogs once the score hit 41 to zip it could very well have been a 60 point blowout.
Not disagreeing; the UND DL may be the best in the BSC. If they were in the BSC.....

I've always had confidence in the Griz when they play at home and always expect them to win. But this game is different. It was fortunate that we played PSU for homecoming because any decent team would have blown us out by at least 30. The Griz then looked in total disarray at ND, coaches and players alike. I'm just not sure they will recover from that shellacking and regain the confidence needed to beat a good team. If the Griz play perfect it will be close, with a chance to win. But if they play anything like the last two weeks it could be one of the worst losses in WaGriz history.

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

I guess you saw a different game than I did.

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:

I guess you saw a different game than I did.

Nobody sees the same game you do, Coach Lombardi.

Back