• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sneed is the starter

George Ferguson

Just passing along what BH said today to Frank Gogola. I'll let you guys battle it out from here.

Hauck said he’s sticking with Dalton Sneed at quarterback despite two weeks of struggles, although he didn’t give his quarterback a ringing endorsement.

“No, that’s not a deal that’s really in flux right now at all, I’d say,” Hauck said of re-evaluating the quarterback position. “We’re good there.

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/i-hope-they-bounce-back-montana-s-bye-week-comes/article_32370c5d-2792-5b06-b348-e27c387378fb.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

George Ferguson said:
Just passing along what BH said today to Frank Gogola. I'll let you guys battle it out from here.

Hauck said he’s sticking with Dalton Sneed at quarterback despite two weeks of struggles, although he didn’t give his quarterback a ringing endorsement.

“No, that’s not a deal that’s really in flux right now at all, I’d say,” Hauck said of re-evaluating the quarterback position. “We’re good there.

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/i-hope-they-bounce-back-montana-s-bye-week-comes/article_32370c5d-2792-5b06-b348-e27c387378fb.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

He actually said that to me but it was a group interview and the Missoulian printed it first. What he said remains the same. You can find Hauck's interview from today's practice (he didn't have a press conference because of the bye week) here in the league segment of our show today:

https://tootellandnuanez.podbean.com/e/tootell-and-nuanez-october-16-2018-hour-1-bobby-hauck-college-football-paradise-mlb-playoffs/

He should be the starter, guy was the best offensive player in the BigSky through 5 weeks, hes had 2 bad weeks since. Hes the horse you ride or die on for this season.

Sneed is 2d in the conference in pass completion percentage. Only behind the Davis qb. 3d in the conference in passing yards per game. 3d in passing TD's. 3d in total offense. According to Big Sky conference stats.

AZGrizFan said:
Rosie needs a new game plan. This game is gonna require about 45 points to win it.

100% agree. Our offense installed has been less than stellar.

Our corners are going to be very busy next week. I hope our defense (DC) can develop a wild and crazy pass rush....

I’m good with it. Dude has earned it and it’s more about turnovers and giving the other team freebies than it is QB play.

However if Dalton struggles early I hope they are willing to make a change early in the game

Hopefully Sneed will come out like the Sneed we saw in the first couple of games, maybe he will have time to heal up and get his wheels back which will cause fits for the defense. He may have earned the start but I disagree about him being the horse you die with just because he started the season. I think if he looks bad in the first quarter you go with Humph and see if that sparks anything. I personally still think we win out and I will be disappointed if we don't, especially if we continue to ride a dying horse if there is a fresh one in the stable.....

I've only watched a few quarters worth of Griz football this year. When I have, it seems Sneed is running for his life about 80% of the time. My question is can any other QB on the roster not get sacked a ton besides Sneed? That alone would keep in the starter IMO.

This is all fine, I would hope that if the UC Davis game is his third bad game in a row the coaches don't wait until into the 4th to make a change.

Sneed was basically the offense for the first few games. And his ability to scramble is definitely a plus. His one major deficit is inaccuracy on the longer balls - pretty sure we would have had more touchdowns if that were improved. That said, I opine that he should continue as the starter to see what he can produce in a game where we limit turnovers,hopefully, to none to two, preferably none, obviously. If the team is playing better but we are still struggling to score due to inaccurate passing or even QB turnovers, BH needs to be flexible enough to give Humphrey a go. If Nick Saban can do it in a title game, I thing BH can manage the risk in a BSC conference game.

PlayerRep said:
Sneed is 2d in the conference in pass completion percentage. Only behind the Davis qb. 3d in the conference in passing yards per game. 3d in passing TD's. 3d in total offense. According to Big Sky conference stats.

And....

5th in average passing yards per game.
6th in passing efficiency.

I would argue that the high completion percentage is due to a lot of passes under 10 yards. Considering his average yards per completion is 10.5 yards.
GUELLER, Tanner-ISU his average is 18.6 per completion. (69-123-3 1283)

Last week Sneed was 25 of 38 for 200 yards. Very good percentage. But that is only 8 yards per catch. AND his long for the day was 15 yards. Not a single completion down field. I think that 15 yard pass was a pass to the running back behind the line of scrimmage that he ran for 15 yards.

You can make the numbers back your argument all the time.
You made him look good, and I purposely tried to make them look questionable.
I agree that Sneed should start but please don't wait till we are into the 4th to make the change.

By the way, I am not dissing you. You are probably a great guy. I just chose your post to comment on.

I honestly read the thread title as "Sneed is the father". Been looking at too many Maury memes.
Anyway, if BH thinks Sneed should be the starter, I think we should trust his judgment. It doesn't necessarily mean the backup won't play if we come out looking flat.

Perfect world would be if the offense could have a few long sustained scoring drives keeping davis on the sidelines. We would find it hard sledding if we get into a shootout. I’m ok with Sneed but he really needs to protect the football. I mean he fumbled the ball on the very first snap turning it over against psu and last week throws a pick on his first series. That really set the tone in those games.
Defensively we need to make Maier knows what the turf feels like. Time for the front 4 to step up and get pressure on the qb.and somehow Bobby and co. need to remove any doubt from these young players minds and get back to the basics instead of being in panic mode. Personally I think we will see a good game on the 27th......

Go Griz!

Something I’ve noticed that I am wondering if it’s helping the defense get off the ball quicker...Sneed does a quick crouch in anticipation of the snap just before the Center sends it. I’m guessing if it’s obvious to me then it is obvious to the defense and the defensive coords.

Anyone else noticed this and do you think it is a tell

All the short passes for minimal gain are comparable to a run game and thus allows the defense the same luxury as only defending a running game. This is why teams stop us easily now. Load the box and there is little to no threat of a deep play happening because of Sneed inaccuracies on longer passes. Film has provided all a team needs to stop the Griz O.

Humphries has a much nicer deep ball. But in a starting roll? Remains to be seen.

If the O-Line can't do their job of simple blocking, let them pull sleds back and forth up the M till they understand that blocking is there job. Freshman or not.

reinell30 said:
All the short passes for minimal gain are comparable to a run game and thus allows the defense the same luxury as only defending a running game. This is why teams stop us easily now. Load the box and there is little to no threat of a deep play happening because of Sneed inaccuracies on longer passes. Film has provided all a team needs to stop the Griz O.

Humphries has a much nicer deep ball. But in a starting roll? Remains to be seen.

If the O-Line can't do their job of simple blocking, let them pull sleds back and forth up the M till they understand that blocking is there job. Freshman or not.

agreed. need to stretch defenses out.. get them to respect the deeper throws. Then the underneath stuff will open up again. and honestly anything past 15 yards would be considered a deep throw for this offense. would like to see the middle of the field attacked more as well.

Remember a few years ago after Gustafson broke his leg & never was effective again once he came back? He continually completed short passes & rarely completed the long ball. The Griz lost 2 in a row. Next game Chalich started & threw 7 TD passes, including several long ones. Will 2 weeks be enough to get Sneed back to 100% again?

Back