• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Did Growler Play Any Baseball for UM?

PlayerRep

Remember how many times Growler (and his many names), have claimed to have played baseball for the Griz. Recalling that he used to have on his profile that he graduated from UM in1971 and was from Ohio, I looked through UM's "red book" of all athletic teams and players, starting in 1897 to 1980. It's a cool document. Hand-written.

I looked in the 4 years ending in 1971. In neither the baseball rosters, the baseball stats, or the all-conference players for those years, is Growler named, nor is anyone from Ohio listed.

I sent the info to Brint a few weeks ago to double-check it. Didn't hear back from him. He's probably been too busy selling houses? Did you look, Brint?

Since there's no Baseball forum, I decided put here. Plus, it's a bye week.

PlayerRep said:
Remember how many times Growler (and his many names), have claimed to have played baseball for the Griz. Recalling that he used to have on his profile that he graduated from UM in1971 and was from Ohio, I looked through UM's "red book" of all athletic teams and players, starting in 1897 to 1980. It's a cool document. Hand-written.

I looked in the 4 years ending in 1971. In neither the baseball rosters, the baseball stats, or the all-conference players for those years, is Growler named, nor is anyone from Ohio listed.

I sent the info to Brint a few weeks ago to double-check it. Didn't hear back from him. He's probably been too busy selling houses? Did you look, Brint?

If he did, I’m sure he hated the coaches, hated the pedestrian fans, and talked a lot about sugar coating. I’m sure he could tell you every single thing ever about baseball and it’s fine line intricacies as well, regardless of whether he played it or was the water boy.

PlayerRep said:

Nice little stalking adventure you had there, Coach Lombardi.

NorthwestFresh said:
PlayerRep said:

Nice little stalking adventure you had there, Coach Lombardi.

It isn't stalking to read UM sports information and history in materials that have been sent to me for other reasons.

And, I would think you of all people would support stalkers and creeps, as you seem to have those things in your DNA.

Maybe by "baseball" he meant the Northside Park Softball League. You know, the league with all the old fat guys who smoke cigarettes and drink beer during games.

I pitched for the 1971 Grizzlies - the last NCAA-sanctioned Grizzlies baseball team - as a Freshman.

Forgive me if I don't recall any names of players or coaches on that team. Maybe if I knew Growler's real name, I could recall, maybe not.

Anyway, I would like to get a look at that UM "red book". Any thoughts on how I would go about getting hold of it?

Link to the UM Red Book. Happy reading. Let us know if I missed Growler's name in the baseball stuff.

https://gogriz.com/sports/2018/1/16/the-red-book.aspx

AllWeatherFan said:
Maybe by "baseball" he meant the Northside Park Softball League. You know, the league with all the old fat guys who smoke cigarettes and drink beer during games.

I don’t smoke, but I could be down with the rest of it. Does this still happen? :lol:

bgbigdog said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I don’t smoke, but I could be down with the rest of it. Does this still happen? :lol:

I doubt it. The kids these days have their fancy Fort Missoula Regional Park fields with the artificial turf. :D

AllWeatherFan said:
bgbigdog said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I doubt it. The kids these days have their fancy Fort Missoula Regional Park fields with the artificial turf. :D

Ugh! Vaping and craft cocktails? Not my scene.

AllWeatherFan said:
bgbigdog said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Fiction. As a local softball player I can confirm all softball fields at the fort are natural grass....now the soccer fields...... :mrgreen:

PlayerRep said:
Link to the UM Red Book. Happy reading. Let us know if I missed Growler's name in the baseball stuff.

Wow! What a cool resource! I can't believe I missed this. I've been looking for Kem, since I'm pretty sure he played. Can't find it. I'm going to be up late looking at these PDFs. Thanks for posting the link, PR.

CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:

Wow! What a cool resource! I can't believe I missed this. I've been looking for Kem, since I'm pretty sure he played. Can't find it. I'm going to be up late looking at these PDFs. Thanks for posting the link, PR.

Kem must have played in the mid to late 60s.

PlayerRep said:

Amazing stuff; not entirely accurate or complete, but what a document!

CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:

One of them is there; '64-'65.

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
PlayerRep said:

One of them is there; '64-'65.

Very cool! I'll check it out.

EDIT: 6'2" 185 GUARD? Were you a Stitt recruit? ;)
Gotta be pretty cool to see this, in all seriousness.

Latest posts

Back