• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How does football survive in Missoula?

PlayerRep

Letter to editor regarding a "popular" wolf that was legally shot outside of Yellowstone Park recently. I assume the letter writer is not a fan of football.

"To the hunter who murdered Spitfire the wolf:

Nothing in the world — not money, possession or trophy — can give you the jouissance you are so desperate to have. The male self of the Western Enlightenment, hungry to possess, acquire, take, regulate, perfect and control, is full of anxiety and fear. So are you, sir. Our country indoctrinates you into semi-capitalism, so you think that trophy hunting expresses the size of your manpower.

So, you spend money on a gun and ammunition in ignorance of the ecosystem, the psychological dynamics of a wolf pack and moral justification itself. You take to avoid your own ontological deprivation — your own lack, as it were. Yet, this is an impossibility, and you will continue because you are now addicted to it.

When you murdered this wolf you murdered your self. You murdered the pack. You murdered every living being in the ecosystem. You murdered me. And there is nothing we could do to you to help you understand your responsibility to protect all life, even your own.

In my sadness and disappointment, I also know about natural justice, and so will you as new laws emerge to protect Yellowstone wolves from being slaughtered in the future.

Kevin Boileau,
Missoula"

https://missoulian.com/opinion/letters/wolf-hunter-suffers-from-deprivation/article_7c691483-a951-5cf2-a130-69ef416cb7aa.html#tracking-source=home-trending

RobertoGato said:
I think probably by the program continuing to be funded by the University of Montana. Call it a hunch.

Football makes enough revenue that it doesn't need money from UM (other than what football earns).

From a 2015 Missoulian article:

"Football made a profit of $2,095,690 while all other sports were in the red."

Dude shoots wolf legally.
Kevin: me, me, me, me, mememe, me me, I, I, I, me, me, me, look at me, me, me, I'm unique, me, I, you bad, me good, me, me, and me.

CDAGRIZ said:
Dude shoots wolf legally.
Kevin: me, me, me, me, mememe, me me, I, I, I, me, me, me, look at me, me, me, I'm unique, me, I, you bad, me good, me, me, and me.
We're just stupid deplorables.

That letter should surprise absolutely no one in Missoula. Or quite frankly, in Bozeman.

Kevin, hopefully you are aware that most sportsman in our state have a total different opinion than you do! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, you’re in the minority on this topic.

I was texting with this popular wolf last week about the O-Line. He said, "rjdidgeidkdkkxh", and "djdjjjfkdkekosz". We laughed, and shared a raccoon. We had plans to ask PR to invite us to his lake place. He had good Montana ties and came from a strong pack. His daughter played volleyball at MSU-Northern before going into finance.

Oh wow, someone with a different opinion. This time about wolf hunting. Everybody is entitled to their own, this guy isn't hurting anything. Is the title of the post in reference to a belief that environmentalism or being anti wolf hunting is somehow destructive to football? I have to admit, I don't follow.

CDAGRIZ said:
I was texting with this popular wolf last week about the O-Line. He said, "rjdidgeidkdkkxh", and "djdjjjfkdkekosz". We laughed, and shared a raccoon. We had plans to ask PR to invite us to his lake place. He had good Montana ties and came from a strong pack. His daughter played volleyball at MSU-Northern before going into finance.

:lol:

SaskGriz said:
Oh wow, someone with a different opinion. This time about wolf hunting. Everybody is entitled to their own, this guy isn't hurting anything. Is the title of the post in reference to a belief that environmentalism or being anti wolf hunting is somehow destructive to football? I have to admit, I don't follow.

Nor I grasshopper!

Dillon said:
SaskGriz said:

Nor I grasshopper!

I took it as a slam on the whole "toxic masculinity" thing thats all the rage right now...the letter writer apparently thinks he's evolved beyond the need to kill. Apparently he's never seen what a wolf (or worse, a PACK of wolves) does to a herd of cows or sheep. So, unless he doesn't wear anything made of leather or wool and is a vegan I suggest he kindly sit down and STFU.

And P.S.: I loved the idea about framing the letter and putting it on display with the wolf mount. Beautiful. Brought a tear to my eye...

SaskGriz said:

This is your idea of another "opinion"? This letter looks like it was written by a nut case to me.

"Nothing in the world — not money, possession or trophy — can give you the jouissance you are so desperate to have. The male self of the Western Enlightenment, hungry to possess, acquire, take, regulate, perfect and control, is full of anxiety and fear. So are you, sir. Our country indoctrinates you into semi-capitalism, so you think that trophy hunting expresses the size of your manpower.

So, you spend money on a gun and ammunition in ignorance of the ecosystem, the psychological dynamics of a wolf pack and moral justification itself. You take to avoid your own ontological deprivation — your own lack, as it were. Yet, this is an impossibility, and you will continue because you are now addicted to it.

When you murdered this wolf you murdered your self. You murdered the pack. You murdered every living being in the ecosystem. You murdered me. And there is nothing we could do to you to help you understand your responsibility to protect all life, even your own."

The hunter "murdered himself" and "everything in the ecosystem"? "Jouissance"? "Ontological deprivation"?

PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:

This is your idea of another "opinion"? This letter looks like it was written by a nut case to me.

"Nothing in the world — not money, possession or trophy — can give you the jouissance you are so desperate to have. The male self of the Western Enlightenment, hungry to possess, acquire, take, regulate, perfect and control, is full of anxiety and fear. So are you, sir. Our country indoctrinates you into semi-capitalism, so you think that trophy hunting expresses the size of your manpower.

When you murdered this wolf you murdered your self. You murdered the pack. You murdered every living being in the ecosystem. You murdered me. And there is nothing we could do to you to help you understand your responsibility to protect all life, even your own."

The hunter "murdered himself" and "everything in the ecosystem"? "Jouissance"? "Ontological deprivation"?

Yeah. Looks like somebody broke out their thesaurus. :lol: :lol:

I'll play.

There are two things at play here. First, you walk onto any college campus in the United States and you are going to find them in every classroom, coffee house and in every teachers office ranting about the decay of humanity while the listener is finding ways to jump out of a second story window. Wrapped up in the their connection to their craft and a part of what they believe is a new age of thinker. What that is a trite, overly sentimental piece of hyperbole.

The second underlying thought, is worth a discussion is the scientific and political merit of wolf hunts. If you strip away the cloying sentimental crap. Because there is some significant points to be discussed and debated. But we wouldn't want to have that conversation, when it is easier to continually swim in the river of anti-liberal resentment that seems to flow under the streets of Missoula. I mean, why else would you connect this awful piece of literary activism to the football program.

PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:

PR- I get that the guy uses some weird ways of expressing his disapproval with. Reads to me like a fired up non-traditional student in his third year of a double major in Environment Conservation/Philosophy. Or he just bought a new thesaurus. Some people make themselves feel important with big words, others name drop to show how they are "in the know". Still others who have never played the game, act like they have all the answers. It's all good, and to me they are all welcome to say what they like. Still don't know how this is related to football in Missoula.

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:

PR- I get that the guy uses some weird ways of expressing his disapproval with. Reads to me like a fired up non-traditional student in his third year of a double major in Environment Conservation/Philosophy. Or he just bought a new thesaurus. Some people make themselves feel important with big words, others name drop to show how they are "in the know". Still others who have never played the game, act like they have all the answers. It's all good, and to me they are all welcome to say what they like. Still don't know how this is related to football in Missoula.

Don't think you came close to describing the author.

On your last sentence, it's my view and I would ask that you respect it. After all, you said different opinions and everyone is entitled to their own. I guess you meant everyone except me.

SaskGriz said:

Nothing in the world - not money, possession, or trophy - can give you the au juicer you are so desperate to have. When you posted this, you murdered every poster on eGriz. Murdered. You murdered yourself.

Back