• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is it my imagination?

b_f_c_99

Seems like every time I watch NDSU play their blocking schemes involve diving at the defenders knees and it is rarely if ever called. I also notice several penalties a game on their opponent that either kills a drive or keeps the drive going for NDSU and when they show a replay it's always a "huh? didn't see that." And that is coming from the announcers. Sounds crazy but I'm starting to wonder if they haven't developed an offense scheme that takes into account the officials positioning on the field to get away with all sorts of things.

7 out of 8 national titles or no offensive holdings in 4 playoff games this year. Which stat is more surprising?

Mousegriz said:
7 out of 8 national titles or no offensive holdings in 4 playoff games this year. Which stat is more surprising?

Did NDSU really not get called for a hold the entire playoffs?

Mousegriz said:
Those stats go hand-in-hand . . . or, jersey-in-hand.

NDSU has built an incredible program. No denying it and hats off to them. They seem to be strong at almost all positions every year, and are certainly powerful on the line and in the run game. While EWU got several horrible or bad calls against them early in the game, that didn't win the game for the Bison. The Bison had a bad call against them in the 2d half too. As I have said before, a former Griz who is now a ortho resident at NDSU and involved with athletics, says the program is run remarkably like Hauck's first program was run in UM.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything like that. I just really notice when drives get killed or extended by what appears to be terrible officiating. You just converted a 3rd and 12 and then get called back some holding on the opposite side of the field. Or the other team picks up a 3rd and 4 because some pulling offensive lineman are diving at the linebackers knees. Its a big deal when you should get your defensive off the field or you should still have your drive going. Really it's not that different than a turnover.

PlayerRep said:
NDSU has built an incredible program. No denying it and hats off to them. They seem to be strong at almost all positions every year, and are certainly powerful on the line and in the run game. While EWU got several horrible or bad calls against them early in the game, that didn't win the game for the Bison. The Bison had a bad call against them in the 2d half too. As I have said before, a former Griz who is now a ortho resident at NDSU and involved with athletics, says the program is run remarkably like Hauck's first program was run in UM.

Careful, PR. Now there will be some posters blaming Hauck for NDSU's success.

CatzWillRise said:
Mousegriz said:

Did NDSU really not get called for a hold the entire playoffs?

Real quick scan of play by play stats says no....but I might have missed one. Pretty amazing if in fact the refs never saw one hold by an NDSU lineman in 4 playoff games.

b_f_c_99 said:
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything like that. I just really notice when drives get killed or extended by what appears to be terrible officiating. You just converted a 3rd and 12 and then get called back some holding on the opposite side of the field. Or the other team picks up a 3rd and 4 because some pulling offensive lineman are diving at the linebackers knees. Its a big deal when you should get your defensive off the field or you should still have your drive going. Really it's not that different than a turnover.

Just a note there. A pulling o-line can still block below the waste as long as the ball is still in the tackle box and it’s less than 5 yards from the LOS I believe

Edited for the assumption the pulling guard or tackle is also still in the tackle box

mtgrizfankb said:
b_f_c_99 said:

Just a note there. A pulling o-line can still block below the waste as long as the ball is still in the tackle box and it’s less than 5 yards from the LOS I believe

Edited for the assumption the pulling guard or tackle is also still in the tackle box
This.

Similarly, in regards to holding (it happens literally every single play), this is another example of how their coaches do/have done such a great job at coaching their guys to work within the "framework" of the rules as officiated to their advantage.

Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just how it is.

Back