• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cats Losing Players

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Saw on Twitter that a couple of big WR recruits the Cats were excited about last year both announced they are transferring, Metcalf and Duru. Add Sparaco, their Colorado Transfer, to that list as well as he announced his transfer too. They also lost their SEC transfer Maleek Barley who they seemed ecstatic about when they landed him last year. That seems like a lot of talent out the door in a short amount of time.

Sparaco and Barkley didn't adjust to having to earn playing time. It appeared they thought their status as former Pac 12 and SEC players would carry weight in competition. It didn't and they only cracked the two-deep a few times. Chalk it up to a pair of transfers that didn't work out. Its the risk you take when recruiting drop downs.

As far as Metcalf and Duru, they are two freshman WR's wanting to enter the mysterious transfer portal after only one year in a college football program. I really liked Duru's potential so its too bad he's leaving. Was unsure on Metcalf's ceiling. Anyway, good luck to both of them.

I will continue to state...that Transfer Portal is going to shake up rosters more frequently year to year.

Players leave. No different for any team. I would say we will be victim of it too but yeah freshman WRs not a huge loss for next year but in the future. Until their offense develops more of a passing game it might be tough to keep WRs like this.

VimSince03 said:
Sparaco and Barkley didn't adjust to having to earn playing time. It appeared they thought their status as former Pac 12 and SEC players would carry weight in competition. It didn't and they only cracked the two-deep a few times. Chalk it up to a pair of transfers that didn't work out. Its the risk you take when recruiting drop downs.

As far as Metcalf and Duru, they are two freshman WR's wanting to enter the mysterious transfer portal after only one year in a college football program. I really liked Duru's potential so its too bad he's leaving. Was unsure on Metcalf's ceiling. Anyway, good luck to both of them.

I will continue to state...that Transfer Portal is going to shake up rosters more frequently year to year.
Vim, you definitely make a point but if a coach is going to recruit drop downs, you cant afford alot of misses, as they eat up schollies.
Now, that said all schools have that problem. Heck, it's been talked ad naseaum on here more misses than hits but honestly, I dont recall that amount of transfers leaving a new program, because it didnt work out.
Perhaps that is the sign of the new rule, which I believe you are pointing out??

Dmontanagrizzlies said:
VimSince03 said:

Vim, you definitely make a point but if a coach is going to recruit drop downs, you cant afford alot of misses, as they eat up schollies.
Now, that said all schools have that problem. Heck, it's been talked ad naseaum on here more misses than hits but honestly, I dont recall that amount of transfers leaving a new program, because it didnt work out.
Perhaps that is the sign of the new rule, which I believe you are pointing out??

Hinting that the Transfer Portal is going to make it much easier for kids to up and leave without much notice when they feel there is a chance for greener pastures. Which may be a good thing as it puts more power in the kids hands.

VimSince03 said:

Not as mysterious as you might think Vim. The NCAA brought this site out of retirement a few years back. Seems to be getting a bunch of use now, was only weekly with those two clowns, dinosaurs & artifacts as I recall.

project-tic-toc1.jpg

bgbigdog said:
VimSince03 said:

Not as mysterious as you might think Vim. The NCAA brought this site out of retirement a few years back. Seems to be getting a bunch of use now, was only weekly with those two clowns, dinosaurs & artifacts as I recall.

project-tic-toc1.jpg

Portal-Promo-Art.jpg

Maybe Choke was switching them to linebacker since the linebacker took the QB position, forcing the QB to the WR position.....it is the Scat circle of life

First day of camp they told the Cat coaches that they played wide receiver. They were met with blank stares and one guy muttering "never heard of it".

dayday said:
Players leave. No different for any team. I would say we will be victim of it too but yeah freshman WRs not a huge loss for next year but in the future. Until their offense develops more of a passing game it might be tough to keep WRs like this.

Agree, we all have our ups and downs with players coming in and leaving, but this seems like a lot of for a given season.

Just from their last recruiting class, they lost:

- Duru (freshman WR transferring out)
- Metcalf (freshman WR transferring out)
- Barkley (SEC transfer RB left)
- Sparaco (Colorado transfer LB/Buck left)
- Natee (Indiana transfer FB retired injury)

If you also recall Malik Putney never showing up as well as Sherrod White, that class literally lost all of its highly touted star power. Something seems amiss to me.

HookedonGriz said:
dayday said:

Agree, we all have our ups and downs with players coming in and leaving, but this seems like a lot of for a given season.

If you also recall Malik Putney never showing up as well as Sherrod White, that class literally lost all of its highly touted star power. Something seems amiss to me.

Kids gonna kid. & things are different with today’s kids. Get used to it.

PlayerRep said:
Maybe some receivers prefer offenses with more passes/catches than blocks.

Really not much more to it than this. We're a run-heavy offense and that's being nice. We also had a linebacker throwing the rock. And people are going to pretend it's shocking that we're seeing receivers leave?!

Honestly, I'm more surprised when I hear good receivers want to come to Bozeman. A legit passing threat would do wonders in this regard.

HookedonGriz said:
dayday said:

Don't forget Donny Long, 3-star OL recruit who joined the team for summer workouts and left within a week due to being homesick. I understand the point your trying to make with the freshman but Natee really shouldn't be included in this group as he retired due to injury. Also, Barkley and Sparaco shouldn't be included because of my clear explanation above. They got beat out and did not respond well. They believed their status you reference (SEC/Colorado) should have given them more clout in terms of playing time. It did not. Again, this is the risk you take with drop-down transfers and its on the coaches to gauge the personalities of these players.

Duru, Metcalf, Long, Putney, RB Isaiah Ifanse, and DT James Williams all came on their official visit a week prior to signing day as they were all on the fence with their respective offers. Jump forward to almost exactly one year later and only two are left on the team. Recruiting is not a perfect system and kid's personalities can change as they grow/adapt during their first year in college. Choate & Co. will have to do a better job of getting kids that fit his mindset.

Also, these kids can transfer for a variety of reasons, not just football. Climate, school fit, culture, etc.

Drop-downs often come with a sense of entitlement. That's the main reason I am often wary of them. Some, of course, work out wonderfully (JD Quinn, Craig Ochs, etc.), but they tend to be the exception, not the rule.

Back