• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring ball discussion: Defense / Special Teams

BWahlberg

DONOR
Nothing like a snow day to get another long post up. Spring ball starts... next week! So wanted to look on the other side of the ball.

About 2 weeks back I put up a post on the offense: https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82307

Alright, another wild-ass guess on the possible defense 2-deep

DE: Sims / Brown
DT: Deming / Rodriguez
DT: Alford / Gubner
Buck: Nagler / Nelson
LB: Olson / Matthews
LB: Lewis / Welnel
N: Sandry / Fouch or Koppang
CB: Calhoun / Egbo
CB: Nash / Crow or Kadeem Hemphill
S: Robertson / McGinnis
S: Hauck / Jalen Hemphill or Pepe

K: Semenza / Purdy or Peppinger
P: Wilson / Morin-Ferguson
KR: Flowers / Sulser
PR: JLM / Flowers
LS: OD / Mitchell

Positions that seem to be in good shape

1. Linebacker. Obviously the loss of Josh Buss will be felt, but we return one of the best linebackers in the FCS in Olson and Jace Lewis should step up just fine. Lewis as a backup was 5th best on the team in tackles, and obviously started quite a few games and Buss worked his way back. Additionally I like what's being built up behind these guys. Welnel and Matthews should hopefully continue to develop as backups, they're probably not FCS starter material yet, but this season we'll need one of these two (or some others) to be ready for 2020 after Olson graduates. There's also some other guys to watch for on ST and that could challenge for depth, I really like what I saw from O'Connell and Flink. Also I see Vika is back at LB. IMO for the sake of the quality of defensive play, we need Dante & Jace all season, I don't know if the depth guys are ready to start, but should be good for rotating on series and at ST.

2. Safety. All three projected starters either started in almost all of last season (Sandry & Hauck) and Robertson played a ton every game. McGinnis is a rising star. Nash Fouch, I think, could develop into our next great safety in a few years, liked what I saw from him as a freshman. Depth though could be a concern somewhat. Transfer Jalen Hemphill will be one to watch and then how will Koppang and Pepe do early into their RS frosh campaign? Also I'd wonder if Gavin Crow would move back here or not.

3. Special Teams skill players, for the most part. Semenza returns and if we have a healthy Purdy that could be a fun competition. Add in Peppenger who can now compete too. Almost all other positions return their guy from last year. Flowers is a stud, JLM is too, OD is the best long snapper in the FCS. Obviously Punter is the one spot to watch as they try to find Eric Williams replacement.

Positions in need of a lot of work

1. Defensive Line. This group replaces it's vocal leader in Tilleman and it's biggest guy in Shaw. Deming flashed some big plays, but now will be asked to take a starting role (I assume). Alford and Gubner are the only actual two guys listed as DT's on the roster. I wonder if Longoria will return to this side of the line? Sims returns, his season last year wasn't as flashy as many hoped, but he's got a tough job for piling up stats. The other end/buck position seems like one that could be wide open and there might be plenty of other guys who could challenge for the job. Nagler looked to be locking it in before an injury in fall camp, Nelson took over but wound up giving way to Cochran as the season went on after failing to really show up in the stat book. Some of the depth guys are coming off red shirts, so they've got to like having a chance to really push for a job.

2. Cornerback. This position has the guys (save maybe a summer transfer) that this team will rock with for the season. I put this group in the "needs work" from the pure stance that I want to see Calhoun find a more consistent stride, Nash get to that next level of being a shut-down corner, and Egbo that he's ready to rotate in and contribute all over the field. These three guys will be the make or break of this group, and I think they can get it there, this spring is huge for them. Crow is still listed as a corner, probably needed here and how will Kadeem Hemphill look? Nick Fouch and Kobey Eaton could sneak into some depth looks if some guys can't step it up.

------------------

Lots of moving parts and unknowns on defense, far more than on offense, IMO. Going to be quite the spring camp!

They need a couple transfers and some unknowns to step up for the DL looking at what’s there. Secondary I feel actually decent about but a transfer would be good for competition. Can’t have enough cover guys. Linebacker unit should be solid.

VAGriz said:
Could Hurlburt possibly work his way into 2-deep at DE as a true freshman?

I think the McGourin kid has a better chance of contributing physically but I don’t think any of the DL recruits will be ready. Pretty rare to contribute as freshman on either side of the line.

The biggest area of need in this year’s version of the defense is a pass rusher or two from the line group. I know, thanks Captain Obvious.

VAGriz said:
Could Hurlburt possibly work his way into 2-deep at DE as a true freshman?

Tough to say, from Bobby directly (to the Griz fan advisory board) just last week, "The closer a guy plays to the line of scrimmage, the tougher it is for him to adapt and be ready to contribute early in his college career."

bgbigdog said:
The biggest area of need in this year’s version of the defense is a pass rusher or two from the line group. I know, thanks Captain Obvious.

Haha, however I think Nagler COULD be that guy. He was really making strides in fall camp and I saw a few days in a row where he was a steady presence in the pass rush. He then got hurt, pulled hammy or something, and RJ Nelson stepped into that role.

However, I didn't see (last year) stuff from Nagler like we'd seen in years before when Schye, Wags, and Holmes were young and up-an-coming players... so I don't know if he's the answer.

Nagler was an outstanding receiver at Whitefish. Put on too much weight and was jammed in with too many other WR's. Now, potentially playing DE, it just seems like a round peg in a square hole. Very tough to make the switch this late in your career. If it works, great. Hope him well...just skeptical.

Sims may be listed as DE but he predominantly plays DT. I believe Deming actually plays DE.

Nagler got hurt in the Idaho game and it appeared serious (ACL??). The coaches are very high on him at DE but if he was injured badly he likely won't have an impact until later in the season to allow for adequate healing time.

66volvo said:
Nagler was an outstanding receiver at Whitefish. Put on too much weight and was jammed in with too many other WR's. Now, potentially playing DE, it just seems like a round peg in a square hole. Very tough to make the switch this late in your career. If it works, great. Hope him well...just skeptical.

I thought he looked serviceable last year at DE in limited playing time...

I sit here at work and look out my window. I see over 24" of snow on the ground and the temp is around 10 below with negative 25 for the weekend. Hard to believe spring ball is coming...

reinell30 said:
I sit here at work and look out my window. I see over 24" of snow on the ground and the temp is around 10 below with negative 25 for the weekend. Hard to believe spring ball is coming...

What's in a name. You know as well as I do that the four seasons are almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction/fires. :lol:

reinell30 said:

Should be about deep enough to launch your boat.

How about Lorenzo Brown or Randy Rodriguez stepping up and being that pass rusher? That'd be great. Esa to DT again as well would be my hope. Get depth there.

Htowngriz said:
reinell30 said:

What's in a name. You know as well as I do that the four seasons are almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction/fires. :lol:
winter, winter, still winter and road construction/fires/relatives. :lol:

reinell30 said:

I didn't realize that Wal-mart greeters got to sit...

grizindabox said:
reinell30 said:

I didn't realize that Wal-mart greeters got to sit...

Aren't we funny....

cclarkblues said:
reinell30 said:

Should be about deep enough to launch your boat.

That is why I don't snow ski. I can't get my boat to the top of the runs....

reinell30 said:
Spring ball seems to keep getting earlier every year; there can be consequences.

Latest posts

Back