• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrimmage #1 wrap

BWahlberg

DONOR
Good morning Griz Nation, I've got a few spare minutes before my day gets rolling. I know many of you saw tweets from Skyline, GoGriz, other sports reporters, and a few from myself. Thought I'd share a few general impressions here. I'll probably come back and add to this later today.

By position

- Safety is looking pretty good as a position. With Robertson suited but apparently not playing, Nash Fouch stepped in and played pretty well. He's an enforcer and a hard-nosed player, had some absolutely crushing hits. Coverage skills need to come along but that's to expected with an RS Frosh. Gavin Crow (I believe) picked off Sneed in the endzone. And they rotated a group of depth guys to show that they're building this position pretty well. Robby was catching some flak for taking a few bad angles on the ball carrier. Sandry had a sure-fire pick on a hail mary-type of pass but crashed into another DB and the ball hit the turf instead.

- Corner wasn't too shabby either. Josh Egbo, up with the 1s had a few nice tackles and forced a fumble on Knight on an absolutely jarring hit. Kadeem Hemphill (27) had two picks, I think one was against Graves and one against Humphries.

- Linebacker has some young guys starting to show that they're coming along. Welnel and O'Connell stood out to me as the depth guys yesterday. O'Connell is a guy that impressed me in the fall. I think he could be a guy we could see making some plays on special teams this year. Not sure if I saw enough from any of the LBs (yet) to suggest we've got a viable guy or two to step up if Olson or Lewis miss some time.

- D-line was a mixed bag. Alford and Gubner are our two big guys, "Gub" got in some trouble for something and was Hauck & Sack's guy to pick on, had to run some laps and was constantly in the dog house. Alford had a sack and a few good pressures. Vika with the 2nd team as a DE had a few pressures and a sack, we might just have something with him, but it was against the 2 OL, I want to see how he does against experienced tackles. The interior DL did get pushed around a bit, they gave up the one TD of the day, a rushing TD. They rotated all sorts of guys at the buck-hybrid spot, none really stood out to me, I don't think Nelson or Nagler were out there but I could be wrong.

- O-line. The first team looked... better... I think. It was hard to really quantify. The first team is Beaver, Martin, Sirmon, Pillans, Keintz. They look the size, Pillans is huge but a little stiff in the way he plays. Stunts and blitzes were was looked to be the main issue for this group. We did get a rushing TD from them, and from about 8 or 9 yards out. 2nd/3rd team OL wasn't that great, it usually isn't though. As we all suspected this position is the one with the longest way to go. The good news is that right now they have what appears to be enough dudes to field almost a 3-deep on the OL. Now they need to cement who can actually be a contributor this year vs who won't.

- RB... Knight had a TD, and lost a fumble. He's fast on the edge, but have to wonder about that ball security. Eastwood was limited in touches, Turner might've had the most touches, I like his size but he was a little tentative in his running, being behind the 2 or 3 OL probably didn't help.

- WR. On a day where the defense largely won the day there wasn't too much to report here. Akem had a nice grab and made a guy miss to pick up a 1st on a 3rd and long. Sulser had a few plays where he tallied up some YAC. Roberts got some reps with the 1st team and made a nice catch. Germer caught a pass and blew up a CB on a would-be tackle. QBs were missing some open targets too, I'll bet on film review the WRs will grade out better than their stats showed. Quiet day for JLM, Flowers, & Toure.

- TE. Almost all blocking duties for the day, maybe 1 catch in the group? We know we've got a solid corps with Bingham, Rensvold, and Deming here.

- QB. Sneed was honestly a little erratic, lead some good drives but had a few misses that were a little out of character for him. Endzone pick was bad, underthrew a route right into the safeties hands. Didn't see a wide open Sulser for a would-be TD and opted for a shorter route to Toure, but missed him too. He lead a few drives and did some of his usual stuff with his feet, but overall just a "meh" kind of day for him. Humphries would regularly lead drives that would get a first or two... and then die. Graves had a rough go of it when he wasn't running. Wheeler Harris got some late reps and they weren't that good.

Overall, good day for the defense, less good for the offense. On to spring break for these guys and some time to rest up. The team spirits seem great, attitude yesterday was pretty intense and competitive. From a sake of what Bobby usually wants to achieve from a spring camp, I think he's getting what he wants.

Hauck:

“I thought that the young guys failed,” Hauck said. “I didn’t think that was very good. But the veteran guys looked the part, did some good things. I thought we ran the ball pretty well. That was probably my first thought.”

Montana ran five fourth-and-1 plays with the first-team offense going against the first-team defense. Running back Adam Eastwood converted the first four times, picking up 5, 3, 4 and 2 yards. On the fifth one, senior safety Josh Sandry had a tackle for a 1-yard loss.

Transfer running back Marcus Knight ran for a 3-yard score as he finished with 11 carries for 20 yards and one fumble."

“I think Dalton’s doing a good job,” Montana head coach Bobby Hauck said. “He’s pretty solid, pretty steady. He hasn’t been too much up and down this spring. It’s been mostly a pretty solid effort by him.

“The best thing for him is to see all the different looks that we’re giving him and refining him and expanding his knowledge of the game and all those different things that (offensive coordinator) Timm (Rosenbach is) working with him on.”

Now in his second season, Sneed is trying to become a more complete player.

“Instead of trying to understand the system and understand where we’re trying to go with the ball, definitely trying to work on my drops, keep my eyes down field, stepping up in the pocket,” Sneed said. “Because for me, what I’ve been trying to work on is get better at the little things instead of the overall system of it.”

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-quarterback-dalton-sneed-diving-into-details-in-year-no/article_7036b42a-2a30-5d88-a927-66976ec9657c.html

BWahlberg said:
Good morning Griz Nation, I've got a few spare minutes before my day gets rolling. I know many of you saw tweets from Skyline, GoGriz, other sports reporters, and a few from myself. Thought I'd share a few general impressions here. I'll probably come back and add to this later today.

By position

- Safety is looking pretty good as a position. With Robertson suited but apparently not playing, Nash Fouch stepped in and played pretty well. He's an enforcer and a hard-nosed player, had some absolutely crushing hits. Coverage skills need to come along but that's to expected with an RS Frosh. Gavin Crow (I believe) picked off Sneed in the endzone. And they rotated a group of depth guys to show that they're building this position pretty well. Robby was catching some flak for taking a few bad angles on the ball carrier. Sandry had a sure-fire pick on a hail mary-type of pass but crashed into another DB and the ball hit the turf instead.

- Corner wasn't too shabby either. Josh Egbo, up with the 1s had a few nice tackles and forced a fumble on Knight on an absolutely jarring hit. Kadeem Hemphill (27) had two picks, I think one was against Graves and one against Humphries.

- Linebacker has some young guys starting to show that they're coming along. Welnel and O'Connell stood out to me as the depth guys yesterday. O'Connell is a guy that impressed me in the fall. I think he could be a guy we could see making some plays on special teams this year. Not sure if I saw enough from any of the LBs (yet) to suggest we've got a viable guy or two to step up if Olson or Lewis miss some time.

- D-line was a mixed bag. Alford and Gubner are our two big guys, "Gub" got in some trouble for something and was Hauck & Sack's guy to pick on, had to run some laps and was constantly in the dog house. Alford had a sack and a few good pressures. Vika with the 2nd team as a DE had a few pressures and a sack, we might just have something with him, but it was against the 2 OL, I want to see how he does against experienced tackles. The interior DL did get pushed around a bit, they gave up the one TD of the day, a rushing TD. They rotated all sorts of guys at the buck-hybrid spot, none really stood out to me, I don't think Nelson or Nagler were out there but I could be wrong.

- O-line. The first team looked... better... I think. It was hard to really quantify. The first team is Beaver, Martin, Sirmon, Pillans, Keintz. They look the size, Pillans is huge but a little stiff in the way he plays. Stunts and blitzes were was looked to be the main issue for this group. We did get a rushing TD from them, and from about 8 or 9 yards out. 2nd/3rd team OL wasn't that great, it usually isn't though. As we all suspected this position is the one with the longest way to go. The good news is that right now they have what appears to be enough dudes to field almost a 3-deep on the OL. Now they need to cement who can actually be a contributor this year vs who won't.

- RB... Knight had a TD, and lost a fumble. He's fast on the edge, but have to wonder about that ball security. Eastwood was limited in touches, Turner might've had the most touches, I like his size but he was a little tentative in his running, being behind the 2 or 3 OL probably didn't help.

- WR. On a day where the defense largely won the day there wasn't too much to report here. Akem had a nice grab and made a guy miss to pick up a 1st on a 3rd and long. Sulser had a few plays where he tallied up some YAC. Roberts got some reps with the 1st team and made a nice catch. Germer caught a pass and blew up a CB on a would-be tackle. QBs were missing some open targets too, I'll bet on film review the WRs will grade out better than their stats showed. Quiet day for JLM, Flowers, & Toure.

- TE. Almost all blocking duties for the day, maybe 1 catch in the group? We know we've got a solid corps with Bingham, Rensvold, and Deming here.

- QB. Sneed was honestly a little erratic, lead some good drives but had a few misses that were a little out of character for him. Endzone pick was bad, underthrew a route right into the safeties hands. Didn't see a wide open Sulser for a would-be TD and opted for a shorter route to Toure, but missed him too. He lead a few drives and did some of his usual stuff with his feet, but overall just a "meh" kind of day for him. Humphries would regularly lead drives that would get a first or two... and then die. Graves had a rough go of it when he wasn't running. Wheeler Harris got some late reps and they weren't that good.

Overall, good day for the defense, less good for the offense. On to spring break for these guys and some time to rest up. The team spirits seem great, attitude yesterday was pretty intense and competitive. From a sake of what Bobby usually wants to achieve from a spring camp, I think he's getting what he wants.
Brint, what do you think of the kind of season we should see from Bingham. I thought last year would be his break out year.
I hope he has a big year, this year.i know he can be a big Target in the receiving aspect .
Is he going to be the main guy or is it going to be by committee, after watching his freshmen season I genuinely thought he had a legit shot at the next level.
What do you expect?

braves84 said:
BWahlberg said:

By position

Brint, what do you think of the kind of season we should see from Bingham. I thought last year would be his break out year.
I hope he has a big year, this year.i know he can be a big Target in the receiving aspect .
Is he going to be the main guy or is it going to be by committee, after watching his freshmen season I genuinely thought he had a legit shot at the next level.
What do you expect?
He battled injuries all through last year. I expect to see lots of Bingham and Deming and a little less of Rensvold.

Nobody is going to be a fullback in this offense. That role/situation will default to the guys with TE in the descriptive.

I’d expect every one of them not redshirting to get reps.

WaGriz4life said:
He battled injuries all through last year. I expect to see lots of Bingham and Deming and a little less of Rensvold.

I wouldn't sell Rensvold short, he's having a good spring. Both him and Deming have looked even more improved this spring so far.

Bingham "looks" the part now, fair or not, his time here under Stitt really set him back for what Bobby wants out of a TE. It seems like he's got it back now, but to me it looks more like Deming and Rensvold are still the guys they use for blocking the most.

Wild guess but I'd venture we could see both Deming and Rensvold have a couple hundred yards receiving this year and 2-3 TDs each. Bingham, as the more downfield threat, should pile up some more yards than them overall though.

BW, what are your thoughts on Cole Grossman? He played lb/de with the 1 defense for most if not all of the scrimmage.

ChesterGriz said:
BW, what are your thoughts on Cole Grossman? He played lb/de with the 1 defense for most if not all of the scrimmage.

I’m hearing very good things. He’s made some big sack plays and is explosive.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
thanks BW, good stuff as always. was there a Janacaro sighting?

There wasn't. I've seen him getting some running back reps in practice. Wonder if he was dinged up? Or maybe I just missed him.

HookedonGriz said:
ChesterGriz said:

I’m hearing very good things. He’s made some big sack plays and is explosive.

Yeah so Cole is the guy I had to keep checking the roster on, "who is #43 out there??" haha. Nagler is out this spring I believe, unsure on Nelson's status at this point. Grossman seems to be making the most of his time. I'm unsure if he's 205 like the roster says he is, looks to have a little more on his frame, which is good. I like the looks of him, just worry that it's more like last season where that LB/DE "buck" spot is a spot of general inconsistency and inexperience.

Janicaro got reps. Bobby chewed his ass good once for not hitting the hole hard.

Grossman was severely outmatched. Not sure what Baer is thinking there. Way too small and not strong enough. Good speed on the edge and was able to beat Keintz for a sack or two but who can't for crying out loud. He dances around too much and by then the blocker has consumed him. He just isn't ready yet. He is going to be a good one in a few years. Also noticed that he likes to complain a lot about being held. Welcome to college football son!!

B/w...regarding goal line or short yardage offense......is Le Texier being used in power I formation ?
Bobby had said they were moving him from linebacker to full back for that formation...just wondering as that kid used to be a heck of a linebacker.

krammer said:
B/w...regarding goal line or short yardage offense......is Le Texier being used in power I formation ?
Bobby had said they were moving him from linebacker to full back for that formation...just wondering as that kid used to be a heck of a linebacker.

Typical Bobby fashion, I don't think the scrimmage really showed what he's planning to use for sets on offense. I didn't see it, but as other posts here show, I missed some other things too, so maybe he did and I just didn't catch it.

BWahlberg said:
krammer said:

Typical Bobby fashion, I don't think the scrimmage really showed what he's planning to use for sets on offense. I didn't see it, but as other posts here show, I missed some other things too, so maybe he did and I just didn't catch it.

thanks b/w for your feedback...... as most of us cannot make it to a practice.

krammer said:
BWahlberg said:
krammer said:

I've only been able to catch a few myself but I'll say that this year's spring camp practices really mirror prior Hauck camps. There's so much more focus on individual improvement, toughness, knowing where to be, and small technical stuff that you really don't take away a real opinion on what you're seeing with what the offense or defense may be. They're back to building the "foundation" of what they need for the season.

BWahlberg said:
krammer said:
BWahlberg said:
krammer said:

I've only been able to catch a few myself but I'll say that this year's spring camp practices really mirror prior Hauck camps. There's so much more focus on individual improvement, toughness, knowing where to be, and small technical stuff that you really don't take away a real opinion on what you're seeing with what the offense or defense may be. They're back to building the "foundation" of what they need for the season.

Brint, how does this year’s spring practices compare to any of the ones under Stitt? I know Hauck spring practices are pretty competitive, but I’ve wondered how they compare to Stitt spring practices.

get'em_griz said:
BWahlberg said:
krammer said:
BWahlberg said:

Brint, how does this year’s spring practices compare to any of the ones under Stitt? I know Hauck spring practices are pretty competitive, but I’ve wondered how they compare to Stitt spring practices.

I've posted this before, but this year it's even more evident.

Stitt's camps - A general breakdown of individual drills and focus but then a vast majority of the camp would be the back and forth of running the offense against the defense. The presumption would be that all groups would face the entire variety of plays that would occur from the offense and defense. I would suppose the general assumption is that given enough overall plays in practice on offense or defense each player would face a ton of different scenarios to prepare themselves for what an individual game would present.

Hauck's camp A substantially more detailed breakdown of individual unit and team responsibilities. Far more focus on individual drills and scenarios rather than a wide array of game-based scenarios. Every drill has a purpose or scenario, every position player is made sure to run through every single scenario multiple times. Naturally they can't approach every situation in a day, so there's a different focus quite a bit. There's also a good share of offense against defense, but where Stitt dedicated about 60%-70% of camp to that, Hauck is probably more 30%-40% of it, focusing more on the individual responsibilities of each position and each player.

--------

Having seen both, I'm sold on what Bobby's doing. I think back to the amount of times players failed to execute under Stitt and I chalk a lot of that up to lack of preparedness for the situation. Under Hauck, I think all guys will be prepared better for given situations. Of course under Bobby I also think there's some limitations to the style and approach that it could potentially be stuck a little bit in a prior era and might not work as well now as it used to. We'll have to see, but I'm hopeful it'll work out.

Brint, thanks for your insights, especially for those of us who can't attend in person.

What time will this Friday's scrimmage start?

Latest posts

Back