• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bring back the WAC in FCS?

UTGrizFan

Hello everyone, been a while due to me being deployed overseas and dealing with stuff here at home since I've been back but I'm ready to start getting back to Talking Football. With the recent move of Dixie State to D1 and Rumblings that Utah Valley maybe following suit it got me thinking that maybe in the future bringing back the WAC for Football (at FCS) could be possible in the near future. With the potential of more D2 teams moving up out west and certain FBS programs potentially following the path of Idaho I could see it as a potential attractive option for certain schools to make the move. It could look something like this:

WAC:
Cal Poly, UC Davis, Dixie State, NMSU, San Jose State, *Sac State, UVU, CWU

I only put Sac State on here because I could see them seeing a California heavy conference being beneficial to them in terms of finances and travel. Utah Valley is currently all rumor and I've heard Rumblings that Central Washington might want to move up to D1 following Dixie State's example. San Jose State is struggling mightily with their Athletics and New Mexico State needs a home as I don't see them being able to sustain D1 independent for long. I know the chances are unlikely this will happen I just feel that a second Out West Conference would be beneficial to the FCS and the Big Sky overall.

First off - Thank You for your service & of course every Veteran on this Memorial Day weekend! The WAC idea sounds good to me & would be nice to have a second FCS conference out west! Would benefit everyone especially the Big Sky!

Especially would benefit the BSC by allowing it to reduce down to a manageable number where we play all teams in the conference.

I don’t think SJSU is moving anywhere. Even if NMSU doesn’t move either (even though I believe they should), we could have this:

WAC:
Cal Poly
UC Davis
PSU
Sac State
UVU
Dixie State
SUU
NAU

BSC:
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
CWU
WSU
ISU
UNC

If SJSU and NMSU decided to move, one could go to each conference and we’d have nice 9-team conferences, leaving 8 conference games each year playing everyone in the conference.

AZGrizFan said:
I don’t think SJSU is moving anywhere. Even if NMSU doesn’t move either (even though I believe they should), we could have this:

WAC:
Cal Poly
UC Davis
PSU
Sac State
UVU
Dixie State
SUU
NAU

BSC:
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
CWU
WSU
ISU
UNC

If SJSU and NMSU decided to move, one could go to each conference and we’d have nice 9-team conferences, leaving 8 conference games each year playing everyone in the conference.

Won't happen! It makes too much sense for the Big Sky to do.

AZGrizFan said:

WAC:
Cal Poly
UC Davis
PSU
Sac State
UVU
Dixie State
SUU
NAU

BSC:
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
CWU
WSU
ISU
UNC

Swap out PSU and UNC. I-80 the divider.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

WAC:
Cal Poly
UC Davis
PSU
Sac State
UVU
Dixie State
SUU
NAU

BSC:
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
CWU
WSU
ISU
UNC

Swap out PSU and UNC. I-80 the divider.

Gladly. :lol:

mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:

WAC:
Cal Poly
UC Davis
PSU
Sac State
UVU
Dixie State
SUU
NAU

BSC:
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
CWU
WSU
ISU
UNC

Won't happen! It makes too much sense for the Big Sky to do.

:thumb: This ... and thanks for your service.

Appreciate the thanks and I honestly like that look a lot, two 8-9 team conferences would be awesome but I would flip a few teams around, leave SUU and PSU in the Big Sky and send UNC and CWU to the WAC

UTGrizFan said:
Appreciate the thanks and I honestly like that look a lot, two 8-9 team conferences would be awesome but I would flip a few teams around, leave SUU and PSU in the Big Sky and send UNC and CWU to the WAC
SUU in the BSC and CWU in the WAC makes no geographic sense at all. Motivation for any change will be due to cost reduction, and travel is a big component. Regionality also favors building rivalries and better enables fan travel to road games.

kemajic said:
UTGrizFan said:
SUU in the BSC and CWU in the WAC makes no geographic sense at all. Motivation for any change will be due to cost reduction, and travel is a big component. Regionality also favors building rivalries and better enables fan travel to road games.

Yep. I like the I-80 dividing line thingy.

grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:
The only interest I have in FCS football is the annual game with State College.

Some of us hope you lose interest in that game too.
Well, it’s the all knowing box! Enjoy watching the Griz destroy Dixie State and Northern Colorado.

Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:

Well, it’s the all knowing box! Enjoy watching the Griz destroy Dixie State and Northern Colorado.

I do! I enjoy watching them compete with any school. It's called being a Griz fan. If you only watch them play Cat/Griz that's fine but it makes your opinion on anything else about as meaningful as a politician's promise.

On a personal note; are you Spanky2 because you've switched after your primary hand (Spanky1) went the way of Ray McKigney?

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
UTGrizFan said:

Yep. I like the I-80 dividing line thingy.

Agreed. Pretty solid dividing dealio.

SaskGriz said:
Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:

I do! I enjoy watching them compete with any school. It's called being a Griz fan. If you only watch them play Cat/Griz that's fine but it makes your opinion on anything else about as meaningful as a politician's promise.

On a personal note; are you Spanky2 because you've switched after your primary hand (Spanky1) went the way of Ray McKigney?
I was a politician, so that fits. Thanks for explaining what it takes to be a Griz fan.

Spanky2 said:

The only interest I have in soccer is watching the World Cup finals and the US women as they advance deeper in the World Cup.

Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:

Serious question Spanky, but why even stick around if all you want to do is whine and bitch about 99% of the things related to the Griz and FCS? Go find a nice mid-major or under appreciated FBS team and enjoy college football a little more.

AZGrizFan said:

WAC:
Cal Poly
UC Davis
PSU
Sac State
UVU
Dixie State
SUU
NAU

BSC:
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
CWU
WSU
ISU
UNC

No thanks - NAU doesn't want any part of that. Put CWU in with the WAC, NAU belongs with the other Mountain schools.

Back