• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Up? Down? Injuries All Around. Inquiring Minds (BETTORS) Want to Know

IdaGriz01

A certain thread has pretty much invented a new topic, far different from the title. So … I decided to try to inject some numbers, rather than anecdotes and “educated guesses.” But that turned out to be impossible. Why? Because -- essentially by design -- there are NO reliable statistics available on college football injuries, and certainly not on a game-by-game basis. That means there can be no reliable answers as to whether or not “playing up” causes more injuries to the lesser team.

Keep on after your 17 pages (or whatever) guys, but, personally, I would save your breath (electrons) for something where you might actually reach a conclusion or consensus. But that’s just me … so, Carry on. :coffee:

What’s far more interesting is how the decision to allow betting on college football is about to impact injury reports at the college level. Here’s one of several online articles about that issue:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-working-group-to-propose-first-standardized-national-injury-report-for-college-sports/

And don’t tell me this won’t impact the FCS level. I have read that one of the most popular bets out there are on the spreads for major “underdog” games -- and that specifically includes FBS-FCS matchups.

MikeyGriz said:
fanofzoo said:
IdaGriz01 said:
fanofzoo said:
donny t says you can't go there anymore
So who wants to?

Cuba, I suspect, would at least be close to a definition of a s**t-hole country. :)

That has a ton of old cars, like a 57 Chev two door, I'll go.

And reportedly has good cigars and good rum!

In 2007 I was lucky enough to be part of the first rugby team to every tour Cuba. It's an amazing country! Lots of poverty, lots of messed up communist short falls. Higher literacy levels than Canada and a medical system that rivals Canada or northern Europe. They've obviously suffered from losing the propping up they got from the USSR. It must be tough for them when their next door neighbour and most logical trading partner is off the table. If Hemingway loved it, it's gotta be a good time.

MikeyGriz said:
fanofzoo said:
IdaGriz01 said:
fanofzoo said:
donny t says you can't go there anymore
So who wants to?

Cuba, I suspect, would at least be close to a definition of a s**t-hole country. :)

In 2007 I was lucky enough to be part of the first rugby team to every tour Cuba. It's an amazing country! Lots of poverty, lots of messed up communist short falls. Higher literacy levels than Canada and a medical system that rivals Canada or northern Europe. They've obviously suffered from losing the propping up they got from the USSR. It must be tough for them when their next door neighbour and most logical trading partner is off the table. If Hemingway loved it, it's gotta be a good time.

SaskGriz said:
MikeyGriz said:
fanofzoo said:
Yes, well, Hemingway bought a place in Ketchum, Idaho in 1959 and killed himself two years later. That was about the time Castro came to power, so Hemingway never saw the place after the revolution. Those stories that Castro and Hemingway were buds? They met once for a photo op, and the smart money says the author was trying to save his property from being nationalized (he lost it anyway).

Getting back to the topic (I know, what a concept), I was looking for some follow-up about the possible change in NCAA sports injury reporting and I came across this:
https://nationalfootballpost.com/8-...side-effects-from-football-injury-reporting/
Can’t tell when it was posted, but he makes some good points, one of which I find very interesting:
Brett Smiley said:
“College injury reporting is a positive for the sports books and the players,” veteran oddsmaker Robert Walker of USBookmaking told Sports Handle. “The toughest position for a bookmaker is questionable, because depending on the position it literally could mean the difference between posting a line or not.”
… illustrates the need for more information so bookmakers can hang a line that’s consistent with reality. This instance also buttresses the argument in favor of legal sports betting, period. There will be more eyeballs on everything and every conference. [My emphasis.]
In other words, the books and the betting public have the greatest interest – their bank account $$$ -- in detecting something shady going on in terms of inside information, possible point-shaving, and so on.

IdaGriz01 said:
SaskGriz said:
MikeyGriz said:
fanofzoo said:
Yes, well, Hemingway bought a place in Ketchum, Idaho in 1959 and killed himself two years later. That was about the time Castro came to power, so Hemingway never saw the place after the revolution. Those stories that Castro and Hemingway were buds? They met once for a photo op, and the smart money says the author was trying to save his property from being nationalized (he lost it anyway).

My take away is he handled two World Wars, the Spanish Civil War, safaris to Africa, and countless adventures but two years in Idaho and he killed himself.....proving that Idaho, SUCKS! :lol:

With all due respect to Cuba, Hemingway, etc. – all worthy topics on some board or another – I’m determined to yank this thread back to injury reports versus betting and bettors. I just think it’s too important to let slide … and it actually involves football (as well as other sports). Here is a more recent (April 14, 2019) take on the issue:
https://www.legalsportsreport.com/31209/ncaa-injury-reports-legal-sports-betting/

Key quote:
John Holden said:
Indeed, it seems much of the opposition to the timely release of standardized injury information is driven by antiquated coaching philosophies and gamesmanship. But these strategies around concealing injuries creates a market for inside information, and threatens the integrity of both the underlying sporting event and the betting markets.
Whether the NCAA likes it or not, sports betting is expanding. At some point they are going to have to be proactive in getting with the times and taking steps to protect against a scandal by doing little things like releasing NCAA injury reports, or face the backlash to their already tarnished reputation that would come with an insider information scandal.

Back