• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fall Camp Updates

BWahlberg

DONOR
I would suspect that most of us fans are enjoying the more open format of Griz spring and fall camps where, outside of noted closed practices, anyone can attend. Media has been able to be there all day as well and we're seeing some better reports already with hopefully more to come.

As always I'm trying to hit as many days as I can, however a busy August schedule for me personally might prevent quite a few updates. I wanted to set up a thread to share some general updates and observations. I'll keep it to general info that I think most all would see/observe if they attended. I won't share info on injuries, formations, trick plays, etc. And I wont be doing any sort of live update/info either. Just wanted to share some general takeaways as I think there's a lot of excitement building around this 2019 Griz team and I thought it would be good for me, and others, to share.

Yesterday was the first day of camp, no pads as usual, but there was plenty of excitement.

This didn't feel like a typical day 1, and I think there's good reasons why. For nearly a decade it would seem to me that many of the first few days of fall camp the players were more casual, there were more laughs and joking around, and a little more confusion and dis-organization. Not yesterday. This team was practicing and working with the intensity and focus of a team that's been at it for a while. This could speak to the fact that apparently almost everyone who could be stayed in town over the summer, or just the strong will to keep improving, or a little bit of both. It wasn't the best practice, there was a fair share of dropped passes, missed passes, missed lanes, interceptions, etc. However, I felt like I was watching a team that was preparing as if they had a game this coming Saturday, and it was great to see.

Overall it's tough to really read much on players and progression when they're not in pads. The skill players all look awesome, the OL/DL/LBs/RBs mostly don't look great when in team drills. Today is no-pads again, I'm hoping to catch a little bit but my afternoon is starting to get a little hectic.

Of the players that stood out to me;

- Sneed, passing was on point, clear-cut leader, sharp command of the offense and working with younger guys to help them out too. At this point last year Sneed was opening fall camp knowing he was the presumed starter but I didn't see this much of strong leadership from him at that point.

- Toure, now wearing #8, appeared to be a top target of Sneed's. If day 1 is any indicator he's poised to have a bounce-back year. I think there was a Missoulian article that came out today about him re-focusing for the year as well.

- Sulser, doing what he does best, quick catches and long runs leaving a lot of guys in the dust.

- McGinnis, the Griz have an absolute stud in the making with Michael McGinnis, he had a few picks. I believer Dareon Nash had one as well.

- Bingham, watch out FCS. Crisp routes, great hands, almost 250 pounds and looking like a stud TE. I think he's finally at the size/weight to really dominate.

- Villanueva, looking leaner and moving well. Angel might have his starting job back.

-------------

The coaches were pretty animated, there wasn't a lot of friendly chatter and banter that I overheard. They were really pushing this team on day 1. I didn't see much from any of the transfers or new freshman that really stood out, usually we see newer guys make a splash early but wash out as the camp grind goes on, so as the week goes by it'll be interesting to see if any start to rise. There was a fair share of issues too, largely dropped passes. I didn't see any fumbles, there were a handful of picks. Some defensive secondary guys getting caught flat footed and beat deep too much.

Fall camp is under way! On the days that I get there I'll update this thread.

Go Griz!

BWahlberg said:
- McGinnis, the Griz have an absolute stud in the making with Michael McGinnis, he had a few picks. I believer Dareon Nash had one as well.
Go Griz!

Reading this makes me very happy. Mike is a great young man. He works hard and has earned everything he has. All of us way out here in Sidney are excited to see how much he can accomplish...on and off the field.

This stood out to me in day one report on gogriz.

"D-line transfer Joe Babros showed the skills that brought him to North Carolina State before coming to Montana in one-on-one defensive drills, shedding some blocks with ease."

Great news for the D-line. But for the O-line.....still lots of work to be done.

b/w thanks for the tread, great stuff and appreciated by those of us outside the Missoula area.....questions in particular are,, do jlm, tourie and flowers have that same kind of speed of sulser to score from anywhere ? i know jlm has the moves etc. just wondering...they were initially all recruited as speed guys, is why I ask. thanks for your expertise....I could throw Robets and germer in there as well...I believe they are more possession type receivers though. Your take ?

horribilisfan8184 said:
This stood out to me in day one report on gogriz.

"D-line transfer Joe Babros showed the skills that brought him to North Carolina State before coming to Montana in one-on-one defensive drills, shedding some blocks with ease."

Great news for the D-line. But for the O-line.....still lots of work to be done.

That is awesome. I really didn’t catch much of DL/OL guys yesterday.

krammer said:
b/w thanks for the tread, great stuff and appreciated by those of us outside the Missoula area.....questions in particular are,, do jlm, tourie and flowers have that same kind of speed of sulser to score from anywhere ? i know jlm has the moves etc. just wondering...they were initially all recruited as speed guys, is why I ask. thanks for your expertise....I could throw Robets and germer in there as well...I believe they are more possession type receivers though. Your take ?

Toure and Flowers have similar top end speed compared to Sulser. All are very fast. JLM doesn't have that high speed gear and his game is more about agility/cuts/change of direction to make people miss as you mention. Will let somebody that's seen Roberts and Germer more respond about them.

krammer said:

Uneducated fan take;

Toure - close to Sulser in speed but a more “complete” WR with ability to go up and get passes, make guys miss, etc. I still think he’s maybe the most well rounded WR of the group, just had a bad year last year.

Flowers - great speed, showing it on ST. Not as shifty as others that I’ve seen but many times guys improve on that through their college career.

Sulser - burner, damn fast. Has some cuts that makes guys miss but really seems best suited to just get the ball and outrun everyone.

JLM - as we all know the most elusive. Maybe not the greatest top speed compared to these others but not a slowpoke or like a Nguyen that would lose his top speed quickly.

Defensively my biggest concern is the defensive tackle position. From what I can see we have Sims-senior (280), Alford-redshirt freshman (285), and Gubner-sophmore (285). Seems like a big offensive line and a power running game will cause fits for the interior of this defensive line. I know some have commented that the defensive design will help minimize this but a big run stopper would have been nice.

go96griz said:
krammer said:

Toure and Flowers have similar top end speed compared to Sulser. All are very fast. JLM doesn't have that high speed gear and his game is more about agility/cuts/change of direction to make people miss as you mention. Will let somebody that's seen Roberts and Germer more respond about them.

I think you are not giving JLM's top end, long speed enough credit here. I've never seen him run down from behind like the shifty, elusive Nguyen brothers used to. In fact JLM is usually creating separation, running away from people on his way to the end-zone.

Flowers is a flat out burner. More of a 1 cut type player. I think he's the fastest of them all.

Also I think his long-stride is deceptive but Sammy Akem's long speed is worth noting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sammy the Oklahoma hurdle state champ?

StumptownGriz said:
go96griz said:
krammer said:

I think you are not giving JLM's top end, long speed enough credit here. I've never seen him run down from behind like the shifty, elusive Nguyen brothers used to. In fact JLM is usually creating separation, running away from people on his way to the end-zone.

Flowers is a flat out burner. More of a 1 cut type player. I think he's the fastest of them all.

Also I think his long-stride is deceptive but Sammy Akem's long speed is worth noting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sammy the Oklahoma hurdle state champ?

Yes Sammy was a state hurdle champion in Oklahoma. I do remember reading that Flowers is the fastest Griz in terms of straightaway speed. I want to say he has a 4.4 40

StumptownGriz said:
go96griz said:
krammer said:

There is no comparison to JLM and the Nyugen brothers when it comes to being caught from behind. That said, JLM does not have the straight away speed that Flowers, Sulser and Toure possess.

I am excited for Toure to step back into the form I expected from him last year. On the other hand, we saw Sammy blossom into one of the best receivers in the FCS last season. I can't emphasize enough how talented our receivers are (Akem, JLM, Toure, Sulser, Roberts, Flowers, etc.).

go96griz said:
StumptownGriz said:
go96griz said:
krammer said:

There is no comparison to JLM and the Nyugen brothers when it comes to being caught from behind. That said, JLM does not have the straight away speed that Flowers, Sulser and Toure possess.

I am excited for Toure to step back into the form I expected from him last year. On the other hand, we saw Sammy blossom into one of the best receivers in the FCS last season. I can't emphasize enough how talented our receivers are (Akem, JLM, Toure, Sulser, Roberts, Flowers, etc.).

"JLM does not have the straight away speed that Flowers, Sulser, and Toure possess"

Man that statement really puts it in perspective. The speed and athleticism this receiver group has is off the charts. For a guy like JLM to be 4th or 5th down the list is crazy to think about. This has to be the fastest most athletic group we've ever had and I don't think its even close.

Not to mention that the guy throwing them the ball can flat out fly. Add in Marcus Knight and we have legit speed all over the field.

StumptownGriz said:
go96griz said:
StumptownGriz said:
go96griz said:

"JLM does not have the straight away speed that Flowers, Sulser, and Toure possess"

Man that statement really puts it in perspective. The speed and athleticism this receiver group has is off the charts. For a guy like JLM to be 4th or 5th down the list is crazy to think about. This has to be the fastest most athletic group we've ever had and I don't think its even close.

Not to mention that the guy throwing them the ball can flat out fly. Add in Marcus Knight and we have legit speed all over the field.

Thanks to Bob Stitt. :poke:

BDizzle said:
StumptownGriz said:
go96griz said:
StumptownGriz said:

:lol: :lol: :clap:

StumptownGriz said:
go96griz said:
krammer said:

I agree on JLM's speed. He is very fast. I would guess his 40 speed is right up there with the rest.

AZGrizFan said:
BDizzle said:
StumptownGriz said:
go96griz said:

:lol: :lol: :clap:

Not to start a Stitt bashing thread cus I was 100% behind Stitt tell it was obvious Hauck was taking over. This just shows how far top end athleticism will take you without the other necessary tangibles it takes to be successful.

PlayerRep said:
StumptownGriz said:
go96griz said:
krammer said:

I agree on JLM's speed. He is very fast. I would guess his 40 speed is right up there with the rest.

220...221...whatever it takes

BDizzle said:
StumptownGriz said:
go96griz said:
StumptownGriz said:

If only some other positions were as much a priority as WR...but they weren't.

Back