• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How Does EWU Do It?

mcg

DONOR
For the last 10 or so years EWU has had the best football team in the BSC. It is often put forth that the key elements in maintaining a top level football program is excellent facilities and coaching stability. EWU has neither, so how have they consistently stayed at the top of the league.

Please note that my intent here is to learn something and perhaps stimulate some discussion, not ignite a back and forth trash-talk-derby.

This is egriz, so good luck with that...

As for EWU, being able to recruit athletes that may not otherwise academically qualify helps. Also, identifying good coaching talent from the sea of mediocrity is vastly important. That’s on the EWU Athletic Director.

mcg said:
For the last 10 or so EWU has had the best football team in the BSC. It is often put forth that the key elements in maintaining a top level football program is excellent facilities and coaching stability. EWU has neither, so how have they consistently stayed at the top of the league.

Please note that my intent here is to learn something and perhaps stimulate some discussion, not ignite a back and forth trash-talk-derby.

I think they’ve done a great job of branding themselves by winning. I think they’ve had great staff. And those two things help in recruiting hard nose kids that crave to work hard and succeed. Facilities certainly help, but aside from a top FCS stadium, the Griz had a lot of team success with what were sub-par facilities.

Go Griz!

mcg said:
For the last 10 or so EWU has had the best football team in the BSC. It is often put forth that the key elements in maintaining a top level football program is excellent facilities and coaching stability. EWU has neither, so how have they consistently stayed at the top of the league.

Recruiting and not really changing the offense or defensive schemes when there are changes on the coaching staff. They still run the same drills and their practices are the same even though there's a different position coach year after year. They're a lot like that group of Northern Iowa coaches who are the core of the NDSU staff now at Wyoming and Kansas State in that they do everything the same day after day.

It's recruiting... Besides the very top athletes that go to either the Huskies or the Cougars every year they get the pick of the entire population of HS kids in a state of 7 million. Contrast that with the 1 Million on Montana that split between the cats and griz. The state of Washington has great HS football and is hugely under recruited.

indian-outlaw said:
It's recruiting... Besides the very top athletes that go to either the Huskies or the Cougars every year they get the pick of the entire population of HS kids in a state of 7 million. Contrast that with the 1 Million on Montana that split between the cats and griz. The state of Washington has great HS football and is hugely under recruited.

Lots of good answers here but I think this point is very valid. I would add that because of their success and Beau Baldwin, ewu became an attractive program to Washington high school players. A decade ago, those kids would overlook ewu for teams like Montana.

Ursa Major said:
indian-outlaw said:

Lots of good answers here but I think this point is very valid. I would add that because of their success and Beau Baldwin, ewu became an attractive program to Washington high school players. A decade ago, those kids would overlook ewu for teams like Montana.

This is all spot on.

Washington is a fairly populous state with 2 FBS programs, and just one FCS and one DII program. There are a LOT of kids to choose from.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
1972 said:
They have been very good at the quarterback position consistently.

Same with NDSU...theyve had a decade straight of NFL QBs on an FCS roster.

Well, lets not get carried away here. Wentz? Yes. Jensen? Not so much....Stick? The jury is still out.

mcg said:
For the last 10 or so years EWU has had the best football team in the BSC. It is often put forth that the key elements in maintaining a top level football program is excellent facilities and coaching stability. EWU has neither, so how have they consistently stayed at the top of the league.

My 2 boys played high school fooball just 11 miles from the Kibby Dome in Moscow. They trained in the summer after working on the farm all day with one of the head strength and conditioning coaches for the Vandals. They both cleaned over 400 lbs as seniors, and squated close to 500.The youngest is 6'4 300, and plays left guard for the Eags, while the oldest is 6'0 300 and was a 2 time all conference guard at Dakota State in South Dakota. Their English teacher in high school is the wife of the OL coach for the vandals. Both were first team all state OL and DL players . No offers came not even from schools like Montana Tech.They would have loved to pay at U of Montana or anyone who would give them chance. The youngest attended Easterns football camp his sr. year , they were the only one who believed in him. He is a Eagle for life and plays with that traditional Eagle OL toughness. Perhaps if you listen to the interview done with Gague G. on Portland T.V. would give better insight. Grades wern't the issue as both scored 24 and 26 respectively on the ACT. We look fordward to our trip to Montana this year, you have a class facility, great city, the atmosphear rocks, I might even bring my flyrod , and fish a little along the way in one of your beautiful creeks. Good luck except against us!

IdaEag92 said:
mcg said:

My 2 boys played high school fooball just 11 miles from the Kibby Dome in Moscow. They trained in the summer after working on the farm all day with one of the head strength and conditioning coaches for the Vandals. They both cleaned over 400 lbs as seniors, and squated close to 500.The youngest is 6'4 300, and plays left guard for the Eags, while the oldest is 6'0 300 and was a 2 time all conference guard at Dakota State in South Dakota. Their English teacher in high school is the wife of the OL coach for the vandals. Both were first team all state OL and DL players . No offers came not even from schools like Montana Tech.They would have loved to pay at U of Montana or anyone who would give them chance. The youngest attended Easterns football camp his sr. year , they were the only one who believed in him. He is a Eagle for life and plays with that traditional Eagle OL toughness. Perhaps if you listen to the interview done with Gague G. on Portland T.V. would give better insight. Grades wern't the issue as both scored 24 and 26 respectively on the ACT. We look fordward to our trip to Montana this year, you have a class facility, great city, the atmosphear rocks, I might even bring my flyrod , and fish a little along the way in one of your beautiful creeks. Good luck except against us!

I tell you what, EWU has some beef up front and some freshman that are monsters. If I were a recruiter I would be looking for the kids that are working on the farms and ranches as those kids are the kids that are just strong.

THE butt-ugliest turf in all of football. That HAS to help winning, no? Well at least it is true that the Griz have not won in Cheney since it was installed.

AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
1972 said:

Well, lets not get carried away here. Wentz? Yes. Jensen? Not so much....Stick? The jury is still out.

Jensen made it to the NFL tho. Thats what Im saying, they were NFL talent..as in they made it on NFL teams.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
1972 said:

Jensen made it to the NFL tho. Thats what Im saying, they were NFL talent..as in they made it on NFL teams.

Incorrect. UDFA, signed after the 2014 draft. Released 7/28/14. Signed again 8/5/14, released again 8/11/14. Never "made the team". Never saw action in a game. Never was on a 53 man roster. And played in the CFL for just two seasons after that before being released. Saying Jensen "made it to the NFL" is like saying Brady Gustafson "made it to the NFL"...

Back