• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

1st Game South Dakota Coyotes Info

Paytonlives

Staff member
On O it all starts with their QB... Austin Simmons

Honorable mention all-MVFC honoree …
one of 10 Coyotes who started all 11 games, he at quarterback …
led the Valley and ranked fourth nationally with 3,124 yards passing during the regular season … yardage total is the second-highest in program history …
completed 287-of-469 passes with 18 touchdowns against eight interceptions …
completed more passes than six other QBs in the league attempted …
led the Valley and ranked sixth nationally for total offense (314.2 ypg) …
passed for at least 325 yards in four of eight MVFC games …
earned Valley and National Player of the Week honors after throwing for a season-high 462 yards with four touchdowns in the home opener against Northern Colorado (9/8) …
the 462 yards are the third-highest mark in program history …
totaled 23 touchdowns (18 pass, 5 run) …
not accounting for sacks, was the team’s leading rusher with 549 yards and a 6.5-yard per carry average …
ran for a season-high 115 yards including a 62-yard touchdown run against top-ranked North Dakota State (10/27) ...
passed for 295 yards and two scores and ran for 79 yards and two scores in the season finale at #5 South Dakota State (11/17) ...
ranked fifth nationally for completions per game (26.1) and had the 23rd-best completion percentage (61.2)

He is definitely going to be a test. However they have a very young and inexperienced line. The majority will be making their first college start on the oline. It could be interesting. Overall though this is am uch tougher game than most realize. Really depending on how the season goes it could be a really important game if the Griz are to make the playoffs.

RayWill said:
He is definitely going to be a test. However they have a very young and inexperienced line. The majority will be making their first college start on the oline. It could be interesting. Overall though this is am uch tougher game than most realize. Really depending on how the season goes it could be a really important game if the Griz are to make the playoffs.

RayWill,

I’m in agreement with you that there’s huge playoff implications to this game especially if neither team is in the topic of conversation of respective conference championships the last 1-2 weeks of the regular season. I’ve said this before, I don’t know what kind of game it will turn out to be. I don’t know enough about Montana football in terms of talent to make a bold prediction.

My guess, and that’s all it is, is both teams are pretty darned equal. I have a feeling our offense is stronger than yours and I have the same feeling your defense is stronger than ours. I think USD will be in every MVFC game this year with the possible exception of NDSU. Our QB is very talented and can pick apart defenses IF given time. Last year at Weber State he ran for his life 1/2 second after getting the snap.

I think the Dome will bother the Griz just because this year especially it will be tight and packed. Maybe not, but that’s my guess. I don’t see you winning by 10. If you win it’s less than 7. I think there’s more upside on us winning by 10 simply because we’re at home.

In the past, when USD travelled out to Big Sky games, I kinda think the kids thought they were outmatched from the start. I don’t think that’s the case anymore. We’re not a bad ball club. I have been pointing to this year from the time Coach Nielson was hired in 2016. Our O-line is without question our biggest unknown. They just have to be a little better than average for us to have a good year.

Either way, looking forward to the back and forth banter about the game, and the game itself. Have a great fall

coyotes said:
RayWill said:

RayWill,

I’m in agreement with you that there’s huge playoff implications to this game especially if neither team is in the topic of conversation of respective conference championships the last 1-2 weeks of the regular season. I’ve said this before, I don’t know what kind of game it will turn out to be. I don’t know enough about Montana football in terms of talent to make a bold prediction.

My guess, and that’s all it is, is both teams are pretty darned equal. I have a feeling our offense is stronger than yours and I have the same feeling your defense is stronger than ours. I think USD will be in every MVFC game this year with the possible exception of NDSU. Our QB is very talented and can pick apart defenses IF given time. Last year at Weber State he ran for his life 1/2 second after getting the snap.

I think the Dome will bother the Griz just because this year especially it will be tight and packed. Maybe not, but that’s my guess. I don’t see you winning by 10. If you win it’s less than 7. I think there’s more upside on us winning by 10 simply because we’re at home.

In the past, when USD travelled out to Big Sky games, I kinda think the kids thought they were outmatched from the start. I don’t think that’s the case anymore. We’re not a bad ball club. I have been pointing to this year from the time Coach Nielson was hired in 2016. Our O-line is without question our biggest unknown. They just have to be a little better than average for us to have a good year.

Either way, looking forward to the back and forth banter about the game, and the game itself. Have a great fall

The Griz offense is going to be excellent with multiple weapons at receiver, tight end, vastly improved at running back and all with a qb that can sling it or run it. Bank on it.

go96griz said:
coyotes said:
RayWill said:

RayWill,

The Griz offense is going to be excellent with multiple weapons at receiver, tight end, vastly improved at running back and all with a qb that can sling it or run it. Bank on it.

The Griz will have one of the top 3 offenses in the Big Sky, at least in terms of scoring. And with the big sky being such a potent offensive conference, being top 3 is very legit.

coyotes said:
RayWill said:

RayWill,

Offense will be solid I predict. All information points to it being vastly improved from last year. The Griz receiving core will be one of the best in the country, run game should be vastly improved. QB who can both sling it and run it and is tough as hell. The Offense is loaded with weapons. The biggest question mark is the same as yours, the Oline. Only the Griz o-line is more experienced. I agree from what I can tell UM should have the better defense but at worst the offenses should be equal. All things being equal Coyotes should have the edge as you are at home. This years teams seems focused though and should play with a chip on their shoulder. I predict it will be a real battle. Probably a 10 point or less game. Not worried about the dome being an issue and affecting them. I would be comfortable taking Griz by 7. Can't wait!

coyotes said:
RayWill said:

RayWill,

Montana averaged 34 a game last year with really no offensive line. We have all our weapons back and all of them are a year improved. I don’t see USD holding the Griz to less than mid 30s. I would bank on the Griz using a lot of blitz packages from LB and Safety to confuse the inexperienced o-line. We have lots of talent in the secondary and we can trust our LBs to be disciplined. I don’t see USD having the horses to score 30+ on our defense. If Montana is not -2 or more in the TO column...the Griz get a W. Probably in the 34-24 type area.

mtgrizfankb said:
coyotes said:
RayWill said:

RayWill,

Montana averaged 34 a game last year with really no offensive line. We have all our weapons back and all of them are a year improved. I don’t see USD holding the Griz to less than mid 30s. I would bank on the Griz using a lot of blitz packages from LB and Safety to confuse the inexperienced o-line. We have lots of talent in the secondary and we can trust our LBs to be disciplined. I don’t see USD having the horses to score 30+ on our defense. If Montana is not -2 or more in the TO column...the Griz get a W. Probably in the 34-24 type area.

Agree, but worth noting that the schedule last week was fairly weak. Regardless, the offense should be better than last year and if the O line does their job the Griz offense could be potent as hell.

South Dakota picked top finish 6th in the MVFC.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20190822093812874170004&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

From the article:

6. SOUTH DAKOTA

STADIUM: DakotaDome

HEAD COACH: Bob Nielson (16-19, three seasons; 202-99-1 overall)

2018 RECORDS: 4-7 overall, 3-5 MVFC (Tie/6th)

PROJECTED RETURNING STARTERS: 15 (7 offense/8 defense)

KEY PLAYERS: Austin Simmons, QB, Sr.; Kai Henry, RB, Jr.; Dakarai Allen, WR, Sr.; Levi Falck, WR, Jr.; Kody Case, WR/RS, R-So.; Mason Scheidegger, OL, Jr.; Tyler Johnson, OL, Sr.; Darin Greenfield, DE, Sr.; Kameron Cline, DE, Sr.; Jack Cochrane, LB, Jr.; Jonathan Joanis, LB, So.; Phillip Powell, FS, Jr.; Mark Collins Jr., CB, Jr.; Cameron Tisdale, DB, So.; Elijah Reed, DB, Jr.

THREE KEY LOSSES: Nick Jensen, LT; Tyler Ciurej, C; Andrew Gray, FS

OUTLOOK: USD has the talent to be a playoff squad, like in 2017, but the schedule has difficult bookends - Montana and Oklahoma to start it and North Dakota State and South Dakota State to end it. The Montana and SDSU games are at the DakotaDome, where the Coyotes are 13-7 the past four seasons. New defensive coordinator Travis Johansen is tasked with reworking a defense that struggled against the run, which led to the Coyotes surrendering 34.2 points per game (95th in the FCS). All-America DE Greenfield enters his final season with 41 tackles for loss, 19 sacks and 33 QB hurries, while FS Powell's return after an injury-plagued season is important. With a lot back in the offensive skills positions, led by QB Simmons (MVFC-high 314.2 total yards per game), the offense figures to be explosive.

Looks like a good competitive opener on both sides. O-line questions for USD and D-line questions for UM.

Montana may have the edge overall, but USD is at home. Assuming UM is 7pts better and subtracting 3 for home field Griz will win by 4!

Back