• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Playoffs? Playoffs?

HookedonGriz

DONOR
I find myself thinking and feelings like Jim Mora here after we’ve missed them for 3 straight seasons:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

But the good news is with securing an 8th win and sitting at 8-2, the Griz are set up to do just that...a trip back to the FCS playoffs!

Pretty damn incredible really. Hauck and staff got things here straightened out pretty quickly and have really made impact in their return. When looking at our schedule before the season started, many of us (including me) felt a 7-5 record would be exceeding expectations. Many others felt the Griz would get to 8,9, or even 10 wins since they were in so many games late the year prior.

Hauck and company brought in key pieces (Knight, Mallory, Humphrey the year prior, Babaros, Pillans, and others. They developed some very young talent who are already contributing and making impact as well. Up against a pretty touch schedule, the Griz are already at 8 wins with 2 left....both being winnable games.

I think Weber will be a challenge but I also wouldn’t want to be playing the Griz if I was another team. They are gonna give their 110% and they are going to give any team a hard, physical battle. This team doesn’t fear anyone and I’m seeing some swagger and some DOLA back. Can’t wait to see what happens in these last 2 games. I’ve watched the Cats play a lot and I’m not too worried about them.

Saw some Facebook conversations where fans thought we still need to win at least 1 of next 2 to be in the playoff field. I disagree, we are in 100% already. The Griz have two highly ranked opponents left. Weber at 3 and Cats will be flirting with Top 10. A loss to Weber would only knock the Griz back a few spots at the most. A loss to Cats (which simply isn’t happening this year) would put Griz around 15th. A Griz team who is around 15th and at 8-4 is not on the outside looking in. They are in. And they are hosting a game with the bidding process.

Show up Saturday and let’s get the stadium rocking. The Griz still have all their goals in front of them....a Big Sky Conf Championship, a State Championship, and a chance to win a National Championship. Go Griz!

HookedonGriz said:
Show up Saturday and let’s get the stadium rocking. The Griz still have all their goals in front of them....a Big Sky Conf Championship, a State Championship, and a chance to win a National Championship. Go Griz!
The attendance for the Idaho rivalry game for the Little Brown Stein and Military Appreciation Day was disappointing. It's been a while since we couldn't see empty seats.

Agreed, I don’t see a scenario where an 8-4 Griz team is left out given their wins to date and the remaining playoff field options.

But let’s win two more and get a nice seed and not worry about it! :thumb:

It's been a long time since I had to plan social events around the possibility of playoff games, and man does it feel good!!

As a wrestling coach, this is gonna hurt. If we have a home game not on thanksgiving weekend, I won’t be able to come. Been a while, that’s what I get for being involved in the community I should kick my own ass. When it’s all said and done, 3 seed is happening.

kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
The attendance for the Idaho rivalry game for the Little Brown Stein and Military Appreciation Day was disappointing. It's been a while since we couldn't see empty seats.

I completely agree. I hope we can get back to regular sell outs

Now that seats aren’t tax write offs, has that fact had an impact on attendance as well?

bgbigdog said:
Now that seats aren’t tax write offs, has that fact had an impact on attendance as well?

That's a good question. I have fewer season tickets now than I did before. Both football and basketball.

To clarify, the tickets weren't ever deductible, but the required donation/GSA "donation" was.

If you were getting season tickets for the tax benefits, you are bad at math. Spend $500 for a $100 deduction?

MikeyGriz said:
If you were getting season tickets for the tax benefits, you are bad at math. Spend $500 for a $100 deduction?

You can get more tickets with the tax deduction. Try 4 Canyon Club seats for $4,000, of which almost $3,000 was deductible. Save $1200 - $1500 after tax. Net $2500 for $4,000 of tickets. The rices haven't gone down since the tax law change. Still $4,000.

PlayerRep said:
MikeyGriz said:

You can get more tickets with the tax deduction. Try 4 Canyon Club seats for $4,000, of which almost $3,000 was deductible. Save $1200 - $1500 after tax. Net $2500 for $4,000 of tickets. The rices haven't gone down since the tax law change. Still $4,000.

Did you buy the tickets for the tax deduction or to support your team?

MikeyGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
MikeyGriz said:

Did you buy the tickets for the tax deduction or to support your team?

I buy my tickets to support the team, $240 each. The GSA fee of $260 each, which is mandatory to pay if you want the seat, is to support student athletics. Now the benefit of the tax deduction was a nicety or even an incentive for the fans to purchase the tickets at the $500 price tag. During the playoff games, the tickets are one price for all, no GSA fee attached, why?

Back on topic, I have many standing bets of $100 each with Bobcat fans that Bobby will have the Griz in the NC within Three years. This is year Two.

HookedonGriz said:
I find myself thinking and feelings like Jim Mora here after we’ve missed them for 3 straight seasons:

But the good news is with securing an 8th win and sitting at 8-2, the Griz are set up to do just that...a trip back to the FCS playoffs!

Pretty damn incredible really. Hauck and staff got things here straightened out pretty quickly and have really made impact in their return. When looking at our schedule before the season started, many of us (including me) felt a 7-5 record would be exceeding expectations. Many others felt the Griz would get to 8,9, or even 10 wins since they were in so many games late the year prior.

Hauck and company brought in key pieces (Knight, Mallory, Humphrey the year prior, Babaros, Pillans, and others. They developed some very young talent who are already contributing and making impact as well. Up against a pretty touch schedule, the Griz are already at 8 wins with 2 left....both being winnable games.

I think Weber will be a challenge but I also wouldn’t want to be playing the Griz if I was another team. They are gonna give their 110% and they are going to give any team a hard, physical battle. This team doesn’t fear anyone and I’m seeing some swagger and some DOLA back. Can’t wait to see what happens in these last 2 games. I’ve watched the Cats play a lot and I’m not too worried about them.

Saw some Facebook conversations where fans thought we still need to win at least 1 of next 2 to be in the playoff field. I disagree, we are in 100% already. The Griz have two highly ranked opponents left. Weber at 3 and Cats will be flirting with Top 10. A loss to Weber would only knock the Griz back a few spots at the most. A loss to Cats (which simply isn’t happening this year) would put Griz around 15th. A Griz team who is around 15th and at 8-4 is not on the outside looking in. They are in. And they are hosting a game with the bidding process.

Good post but I thing you may be a little ahead of your self but I like where your going.
What we all thought was going to be a juggernaut of a schedule turned out to be a fairly pedestrian schedule with UC davis and EWU being way off the mark this year.
Going in I thought by the time we got through the Davis and EW games we would know exactly what this team was. Its simply not the case.

For me I dont count the outcome of the MSU game as a determining factor. As playerrep likes to say"If you ever played the game" you would know that in big rivalry games you can throw everything out the window, records,stats etc.

They should make the playoffs regardless of the next 2 games because of the extra game and UC Davis and EWU shitting the bed this year. After the way we loss this year to the only "real" team we have faced it all comes down to the Weber game to define how good this team might really be. A win against weber and I am sold. Finish the year 8-4 and 4th place in the conference and this team is no different then the last 4 or 5 years.They have 1 win this year against a current top 25 team and thats Monmouth which doesnt tell us much.

PAGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Good post but I thing you may be a little ahead of your self but I like where your going.
What we all thought was going to be a juggernaut of a schedule turned out to be a fairly pedestrian schedule with UC davis and EWU being way off the mark this year.
Going in I thought by the time we got through the Davis and EW games we would know exactly what this team was. Its simply not the case.

For me I dont count the outcome of the MSU game as a determining factor. As playerrep likes to say"If you ever played the game" you would know that in big rivalry games you can throw everything out the window, records,stats etc.

They should make the playoffs regardless of the next 2 games because of the extra game and UC Davis and EWU shitting the bed this year. After the way we loss this year to the only "real" team we have faced it all comes down to the Weber game to define how good this team might really be. A win against weber and I am sold. Finish the year 8-4 and 4th place in the conference and this team is no different then the last 4 or 5 years.They have 1 win this year against a current top 25 team and thats Monmouth which doesnt tell us much.

TBH, I expected nothing different from you.

PAGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

My only point is, we are in the playoffs. We haven’t been for 3 years and now we are a lock and there’s still 2 games left. Been a long time since we could say that. And I don’t care who is up or down or who shit the bed, the Griz have 8 wins and are a playoff team. In a conference with 13 teams there’s ALWAYS going to be some teams who underperform or exceed expectations. Smile dude, your team is a playoff team.

If we win out and somehow JMU slips up, we could rise as high as #2.

Very unlikely, but that’s not something I had in the realm of possibility a few months ago for this team.

I think if we beat Weber (a big if, but it’s why they play the game) it locks up a seed for Griz. Think about it, they’d bump up to #3 and even then a loss to Cats (not happening) would at the most bump Griz back to about 7-8. This Weber game is huge.

Also depends if MSU can beat UC Davis. If the Griz beat Weber they should move up to the #3 seed in my opinion. If they drop a road game to a top 10 MSU team, I could see the Griz still being a 6 seed. Wouldn't mind the 7 seed as it would put us on the opposite side of the bracket leaving the possibility to meet NDSU in the chipper. A win this week would almost certainly give the Griz an extra week off and home playoff game.

When is the last time two top 5 teams squared off in WA-Griz this late in the season before playoffs?

Brother Bear said:
Also depends if MSU can beat UC Davis. If the Griz beat Weber they should move up to the #3 seed in my opinion. If they drop a road game to a top 10 MSU team, I could see the Griz still being a 6 seed. Wouldn't mind the 7 seed as it would put us on the opposite side of the bracket leaving the possibility to meet NDSU in the chipper. A win this week would almost certainly give the Griz an extra week off and home playoff game.

When is the last time two top 5 teams squared off in WA-Griz this late in the season before playoffs?

Hello, Every year we play the pre season Champs in November !!!!!!

Back