• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Optimism

Griz90

I’m optimistic about our Griz. And not just the football team, but the whole of our Griz - UM itself. The last, well, decade or so, has been, let’s say, a decade of decline. Diminished football program, diminished enrollment, diminished reputation.

From the President’s office in Main Hall to the student section at WaGriz, there was a noticeable decline. Somewhere along the way, due to a variety of reasons, UM’s star wasn’t shining as bright as it once did. Someone once said the football program is the front porch of your University. While the University, and it’s flagship football program, was lagging, the powers that be in the Athletic Department were working diligently to reshape the foundations of the sports programs. Today’s current leaders, Kent Haslam, Greg Sundberg, Dan Ingram and others, have been working all through the past decade of decline, moving up the ranks at UM and never losing sight of the ultimate goal of the funding and building two major facilities they believed would ultimately lead to success both on the field and in the classroom - namely the Academic Center and the Champions Center.

The Academic Center, in just a few short years, has improved the Student-Athlete GPA to record levels. The brand new Champions Center has and will continue to improve the recruiting and training for all of UM’s student-athletes. In addition to facilities, quality coaches with deep Montana roots have been hired to head up the three premier sports - football, and men’s and women’s basketball.

A new University President, young and energetic, a strong advocate for building a nice front porch, is on board and starting to make a difference. Renewed success in academics and athletics is a great thing for the overall health of UM, and more importantly, enrollment at UM. The work that has been done in the Athletic Department, while all the negatives of the past decade have been taking place, should not be undervalued.

There are lots of things that need to happen but the Athletic Department is doing its part to help right the ship. There are many signs of improvement, not the least of which is the Lady Griz’ new tradition of bringing in school kids for a day. Things like this should not be overlooked in the overall, long term goal of improving enrollment, which is and should be the overriding and primary goal of every department head at UM.

I am optimistic because the tide has turned and momentum is building. The foundation is all here...one of the most beautiful college campuses in America...new leadership in Main Hall...a gleaming front porch consisting of the best stadium and atmosphere in FCS football...the biggest and loudest fan base in FCS football...excellent facilities headlined by WaGriz, Dahlberg, Academic and Champions Centers, and quality coaches that truly love their University.

I believe this year, this football season, will usher in a new era of success, not just for football but for the whole of UM.I believe this will be first of a long string of consecutive playoff appearances for our Griz. Big Sky Titles...Home Playoff Games...Deep playoff runs...National Title contention. I am optimistic that success will also lead our beloved UM into a decade of growth and success in enrollment and academics. The foundation is here. It's time to Return to Dominance!

Well said Griz 90. I couldn't agree more. A winning and respected athletic department can cure what ails you. I've always believed in if you win they will come. Just my 2 cents.

Griz90 said:
I’m optimistic about our Griz. And not just the football team, but the whole of our Griz - UM itself. The last, well, decade or so, has been, let’s say, a decade of decline. Diminished football program, diminished enrollment, diminished reputation. From the President’s office in Main Hall to the student section at WaGriz, there was a noticeable decline. Somewhere along the way, due to a variety of reasons, UM’s star wasn’t shining as bright as it once did. Someone once said the football program is the front porch of your University. While the University, and it’s flagship football program, was lagging, the powers that be in the Athletic Department were working diligently to reshape the foundations of the sports programs. Today’s current leaders, Kent Haslam, Greg Sundberg, Dan Ingram and others, have been working all through the past decade of decline, moving up the ranks at UM and never losing sight of the ultimate goal of the funding and building two major facilities they believed would ultimately lead to success both on the field and in the classroom - namely the Academic Center and the Champions Center. The Academic Center, in just a few short years, has improved the Student-Athlete GPA to record levels. The brand new Champions Center has and will continue to improve the recruiting and training for all of UM’s student-athletes. In addition to facilities, quality coaches with deep Montana roots have been hired to head up the three premier sports - football, and men’s and women’s basketball. A new University President, young and energetic, a strong advocate for building a nice front porch, is on board and starting to make a difference. Renewed success in academics and athletics is a great thing for the overall health of UM, and more importantly, enrollment at UM. The work that has been done in the Athletic Department, while all the negatives of the past decade have been taking place, should not be undervalued. There are lots of things that need to happen but the Athletic Department is doing its part to help right the ship. There are many signs of improvement, not the least of which is the Lady Griz’ new tradition of bringing in school kids for a day. Things like this should not be overlooked in the overall, long term goal of improving enrollment, which is and should be the overriding and primary goal of every department head at UM. I am optimistic because the tide has turned and momentum is building. The foundation is all here...one of the most beautiful college campuses in America...new leadership in Main Hall...a gleaming front porch consisting of the best stadium and atmosphere in FCS football...the biggest and loudest fan base in FCS football...excellent facilities headlined by WaGriz, Dahlberg, Academic and Champions Centers, and quality coaches that truly love their University. I believe this year, this football season, will usher in a new era of success, not just for football but for the whole of UM.I believe this will be first of a long string of consecutive playoff appearances for our Griz. Big Sky Titles...Home Playoff Games...Deep playoff runs...National Title contention. I am optimistic that success will also lead our beloved UM into a decade of growth and success in enrollment and academics. The foundation is here. It's time to Return to Dominance!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Very well said.

And I just want to re-emphasize a guy who has been an absolutely tireless worker and advocate for UM and the athletic department, Greg Sundberg. If you have met Greg, you will know exactly what I am talking about. If you don't know him, you should. Quite honestly, I can't believe that we still have him at UM.

WOW; Well said, Eye opening, As a matter of fact i began to look at the Alabama. Lsu, Clemsons, U 0f Texas, Oklahoma,and i really know nothing about their academics, enrollment,or achievements. I only see their won-loss record

Griz90 said:
I’m optimistic about our Griz. And not just the football team, but the whole of our Griz - UM itself. The last, well, decade or so, has been, let’s say, a decade of decline. Diminished football program, diminished enrollment, diminished reputation. From the President’s office in Main Hall to the student section at WaGriz, there was a noticeable decline. Somewhere along the way, due to a variety of reasons, UM’s star wasn’t shining as bright as it once did. Someone once said the football program is the front porch of your University. While the University, and it’s flagship football program, was lagging, the powers that be in the Athletic Department were working diligently to reshape the foundations of the sports programs. Today’s current leaders, Kent Haslam, Greg Sundberg, Dan Ingram and others, have been working all through the past decade of decline, moving up the ranks at UM and never losing sight of the ultimate goal of the funding and building two major facilities they believed would ultimately lead to success both on the field and in the classroom - namely the Academic Center and the Champions Center. The Academic Center, in just a few short years, has improved the Student-Athlete GPA to record levels. The brand new Champions Center has and will continue to improve the recruiting and training for all of UM’s student-athletes. In addition to facilities, quality coaches with deep Montana roots have been hired to head up the three premier sports - football, and men’s and women’s basketball. A new University President, young and energetic, a strong advocate for building a nice front porch, is on board and starting to make a difference. Renewed success in academics and athletics is a great thing for the overall health of UM, and more importantly, enrollment at UM. The work that has been done in the Athletic Department, while all the negatives of the past decade have been taking place, should not be undervalued. There are lots of things that need to happen but the Athletic Department is doing its part to help right the ship. There are many signs of improvement, not the least of which is the Lady Griz’ new tradition of bringing in school kids for a day. Things like this should not be overlooked in the overall, long term goal of improving enrollment, which is and should be the overriding and primary goal of every department head at UM. I am optimistic because the tide has turned and momentum is building. The foundation is all here...one of the most beautiful college campuses in America...new leadership in Main Hall...a gleaming front porch consisting of the best stadium and atmosphere in FCS football...the biggest and loudest fan base in FCS football...excellent facilities headlined by WaGriz, Dahlberg, Academic and Champions Centers, and quality coaches that truly love their University. I believe this year, this football season, will usher in a new era of success, not just for football but for the whole of UM.I believe this will be first of a long string of consecutive playoff appearances for our Griz. Big Sky Titles...Home Playoff Games...Deep playoff runs...National Title contention. I am optimistic that success will also lead our beloved UM into a decade of growth and success in enrollment and academics. The foundation is here. It's time to Return to Dominance!
Great post Kent.

Well said! I have believed for years that your athletic brand really is the face of your university, stay Ivy League schools.
Success follows success. The better Griz sports do the better the University does, the better Missoula does and the better the state does.

kemajic said:
Griz90 said:
Great post Kent.

Really good...thanks for the laugh

Back