• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Question about official reviews

Jaredkuehn

at the risk of beating a dead horse here, I’m curious about how the tools the officials have for reviews. I’m watching a recording of the Root Sports broadcast and the play that was ruled a catch by Jeff Cotton was clearly a fumble. The broadcast had multiple angles in slow motion that, in my mind provided “indisputable video evidence” that should have been enough to over turn the call.

I always assume that the officials have access to the broadcast video. If you have access to this video evidence, as an official, how could you not stop the game and review it to get it right?

Do the officials have access to the Root Sports Or SWX broadcast video, or are they looking at a different video with different angles? I mean, seriously, how you not review this?

Who is the replay official at Griz football home games? Isn't an assigned person for the entire season or do they rotate? There has been some interesting decisions on replay the last couple of seasons. :roll:

They have an Etch-a-Sketch, and a blind carrier pidgeon. That is it. That is the list.

I did a quick "search" on the BSC website and found nothing relevant. I don't know what their purpose, rules or intent is. It should have been reviewed, and ruled a fumble and Griz possession.

I had a meltdown on that play. I don’t understand how you don’t give that a look. Hauck needs to take a timeout in that situation, especially since it was only the first half. I’m not sure if that would have helped or not, but it’s worth using a first half timeout, in my opinion. Luckily, we were playing Idaho.....😂

latest

"was it a catch"
"seems so"
"NO HE DROPPED IT"
"I think it was good"
"Its bad you fool"
"He does have the ball...wait no he doesnt"
"Thats a FIRST DOWN"
"Wait which team has the ball"
"Ohhh FUCK YOU Big Sky!!!"

The simple answer to your question is:

#bsc.

Beyond that it gets extremely complicated, because, well, #bsc.

Beware_the_D said:
I had a meltdown on that play. I don’t understand how you don’t give that a look. Hauck needs to take a timeout in that situation, especially since it was only the first half. I’m not sure if that would have helped or not, but it’s worth using a first half timeout, in my opinion. Luckily, we were playing Idaho.....😂

Idaho scored on the drive, it was a big deal. It blew my mind. Can coaches in the college game ask for reviews? I know they can call time-outs to buy more time for the replay booth to look at things but I don't think it is like the NFL.

Seems to me that if a coach HAS to call a time out to get them to review a play like this, something is indeed very wrong with the system. IMHO there was more than enough time for anyone paying attention the the game(which I would assume replay officials are required to do, maybe) to have seen CLEARLY that this was a fumble. What the hell do they even have a replay official for if they can't do any better than this. Appears to me to be TOTALLY ridiculous, and this sure as hell isn't the first or only time this type of situation has arisen!

Jaredkuehn said:
at the risk of beating a dead horse here, I’m curious about how the tools the officials have for reviews. I’m watching a recording of the Root Sports and the play that was ruled a catch by Jeff Cotton was clearly a fumble. The broadcast had multiple angles in slow motion that, in my mind provided “indisputable video evidence” that should have been enough to over turn the call.

I always assume that the officials have access to the broadcast video. If you have access to this video evidence, as an official, how could you not stop the game and review it to get it right?

Do the officials have access to the Root Sports Or SWX broadcast video, or are they looking at a different video with different angles? I mean, seriously, how you not review this?

Email Jon Kasper at [email protected] and ask him. He has always responded quickly to questions or will forward to the proper person. The guy in charge of football officials does not have an email or phone number listed. I wonder why, Ha.

behappp said:
The coach has to call a timeout to request the challenge. If his team is already out of timeouts, he can’t challenge, but if a challenge is successful, he gets the timeout back.

https://www.sbnation.com/colleg...89766/ncaa-instant-replay-challenge-rule

I think the Griz coaching staff may need to risk timeouts in order to make up for ref inadequacies

I agree totally. My point was just that I happen to think it is RIDICULOUS that any coach should have to do so. Particularly on a regular basis, as they do in the Big Sky!

behappp said:
The coach has to call a timeout to request the challenge. If his team is already out of timeouts, he can’t challenge, but if a challenge is successful, he gets the timeout back.

I think the Griz coaching staff may need to risk timeouts in order to make up for ref inadequacies

Not sure there’s a certainty of replay with a stoppage of play. Or a coach suggesting, begging for it.

stilwtrgrizz said:
behappp said:

I agree totally. My point was just that I happen to think it is RIDICULOUS that any coach should have to do so. Particularly on a regular basis, as they do in the Big Sky!

You are100% correct. Refs should understand that getting it right is more important than unnecessarily slowing down the game at times.

bgbigdog said:
behappp said:

Not sure there’s a certainty of replay with a stoppage of play. Or a coach suggesting, begging for it.

My reading is that a coach can insist on review if the play is reviewable. If it's not reviewable then you still have to use/lose your timeout. Tough decision for sure

You would think with all the TV's in the stadium that someone on the coaching staff using head sets could tell Bobby we might just want to look at that last play. Do the coaches upstairs not have monitors in the booth? It's a freaking home game, GrizVision have the ability to quickly let the fans know it was a fumble by showing slow mow, still frame of the play? It was pretty obvious. Even the root sports announcers were saying it was a fumble before the next play got off.

Pretty simple answer really, not sure it's totally ethical. You'd think that the coaches would have a signal, player all of a sudden falls down with a serious cramp, take their time working the cramp out. Give everyone plenty of time to look the video over. Not timeouts needed, just have to sub out the player with the serious cramps. ;)

So what's different about calling a time out to challenge and getting it back if successful and being charged a timeout if the challenge is unsuccessful. There is no level of FB where you can challenge if you don't have a timeout left. Otherwise, every damn play would be challenged in a last minute offensive drive if the offense was out of timeouts.........

behappp said:

I’m not sure if we’ve ever seen Hauck request a review, not this year that I can recall at least.

By NCAA rule, every play should be reviewed. The review official has the tools (supposedly) to make the call, that’s tough for the coaches to make that call in the middle of the game from their vantage, so I can’t blame them for not risking a timeout.

I did tweet pictures to the BSC and the BSC commish. No response as of yet.

1972 said:
Pretty simple answer really, not sure it's totally ethical. You'd think that the coaches would have a signal, player all of a sudden falls down with a serious cramp, take their time working the cramp out. Give everyone plenty of time to look the video over. Not timeouts needed, just have to sub out the player with the serious cramps. ;)

:thumb:
This technique is already employed by some teams to get subs in or to slow momentum, would think it work for replays.

Back