• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Playoff Site Selection

PlayerRep

The 8 seeded teams host if they submit the minimum bid. Non-seeded teams host based on other criteria, starting with the bid amount.

The host submits its budget for putting on the event at the stadium, plus lodging for officials, and the ncaa pays the rest--for the visiting team, officials' fees and other costs.

Ticket prices are not set by the ncaa, except that they can't be lower than the lowest regular season ticket prices, for rounds after the first round. No minimum in the first round.

Alcohol can be served. Haslam is on the selection committee this year.

"Preliminary-Round Schedule
First Round: Second Round: Quarterfinals: Semifinals:

Saturday, November 30
Saturday, December 7
Friday, December 13; or Saturday, December 14 Saturday, December 21"

"Regarding first-round, second-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1, the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:

1. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First round—$30,000 Second round—$40,000 Quarterfinals—$50,000 Semifinals—$60,000

[PR: The 75% thing is not clear, but I assume it means that the ncaa gets 75% of the net receipts over the minimum, probably 75% of net ticket prices if receipts are over the minimum or bid, in the case of non-seeded teams. Edit: still don't understand the 75% thing, but I now see that the host school gets to keeponly 15%. Not sure where concessions fit.]

2. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top eight seeded teams.

3. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).

6. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution."

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2019-20D1MFB_PrelimRndHostOpsManual.pdf

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2019-20D1MFB_BidChecklistInfo.pdf

In a nut shell PR, what the hell does it all mean? Can non-seeded team host a seeded team? Thanks.

reinell30 said:
In a nut shell PR, what the hell does it all mean? Can non-seeded team host a seeded team? Thanks.
PR is the lawyer here. Myself, I studied the relevant sections, and they do not seem to directly address that possibility. They do have a provision for lowering the minimum financial guarantee:
If a second-round, quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact the institutions involved did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact the institutions and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s [lower] minimum financial guarantee level.
Bottom line: I do not see anything that would prevent a non-seeded team being the host against a seeded team.

Edit (Almost forgot to add a few other juicy bits from the manual):
New for 2019, sites that choose to sell alcohol (and are approved to do so) [a]gree to pay the NCAA an amount of twenty percent (20%) of the gross revenue generated from the sale of alcohol during the event … [less allowed costs and fees].

Items given away to fans inside or in the immediate vicinity of the venue (e.g., hats, pompoms, newspapers) must have prior NCAA approval, for reasons of spectator safety, enjoyment and protection of NCAA corporate relationships.

The NCAA and Van Wagner Sports & Entertainment (VWSE) will provide video board content and public address announcements that the host institution shall be required to use when hosting a preliminary-round game. With the exception of team introduction videos, the NCAA/VWSE provided content should be the only content used on the video/LED boards throughout tournament play.
So if you don't like the crap shown on the video board ... at least you know who to blame. ;)

you have to go all the way back to 1998 to find a game where we had to travel in the first round. That was against western ill. Since then we have only gone on the road three times for our second round game, 2002 against Mcneese, 2014 to EWU, and 15 to the fargo dome.

reinell30 said:

If the seeded team puts in the minimum bid, the seeded team hosts. If the seeded team doesn't put in the minimum bid, then I assume the non-seeded teams hosts, as along as it has put in a bid. Not sure what would happen if neither team bid. Maybe both would be given an opportunity to bid, at below the minimum.

I recall from the past that UM has little incentive to set ticket prices over the lowest of the year, as the NCAA takes such a high percentage of the ticket revenue earned above the minimum, UM is generally better off keeping ticket prices low, and attracting more fans to the game. Edit: I now see that the host school gets to keep only 15%. A tiny amount.

I see that the minimum thing doesn't apply to a first round game. I suspect that this changed over the years, due to the very low attendance at first round games. Better to set prices very low to attract fans. On the other hand, the host team still wants prices high enough to get enough revenue to pay their $30,000 minimum.

I think the only way a seeded team would ever not host is if a school like northern Colorado had a great year and got seeded. There’s no way they sell enough tickets to cover the base. Typically, it seems the seeded teams usually have a pretty good draw.

dupuyer griz said:
I think the only way a seeded team would ever not host is if a school like northern Colorado had a great year and got seeded. There’s no way they sell enough tickets to cover the base. Typically, it seems the seeded teams usually have a pretty good draw.

You don't think UNC could sell $30,000 worth of tickets for the minimum in the 2d round, to pay the minimum?

UNC has averaged about 5,000 per game this season. Season tickets start at $85. If single game tickets are $20, then 20 times 2500 is $50,000. At $15, 15 times 2500 is $37,500.

Here’s the Griz playoff record at each location. Obviously we’d prefer to be at home...where it’s cold and loud.

At WaGriz 31-7
At Dornblazer 0-0
Neutral Site 1-4
On the road 2-11

2015 @ NDSU lost 6-37
2014 @ EWoo lost 20-37
2011 @ SHS lost 28-31
2008 @ JMU won 35-27
2002 @ McNeese St lost 20-24
1998 @ Western Ill lost 9-52
1997 @ McNeese St lost 14-19
1996 @ Marshall lost 29-49
1995 @ Marshall won 22-20
1994 @ Youngstown St lost 9-28
1989 @ Geo Southern lost 15-45
1988 @ Idaho lost 19-38
1982 @ Idaho lost 7-21

PlayerRep said:
dupuyer griz said:

You don't think UNC could sell $30,000 worth of tickets for the minimum in the 2d round, to pay the minimum?

UNC has averaged about 5,000 per game this season. Season tickets start at $85. If single game tickets are $20, then 20 times 2500 is $50,000. At $15, 15 times 2500 is $37,500.
That’s why I said like. I seriously doubt we will ever run into a scenario where it happens, if it did it would be a school with very low attendance.

I am out of my comfort zone here, so I am mainly searching for answers. Who do the egriz experts think we will play if we win out? Which I do think we will win out. I see us getting a 3 seed. If the team from the east wins this weekend, I think we host them in the 2nd round if they win their playoff game. Am I crazy for this? I also think Weber drops to 6 and we host them in the quarters. If we win, we will travel to JMU. Thoughts? I know I might be looking too far ahead, but I am curious is all. Thanks.

PlayerRep said:
dupuyer griz said:

HUH? where do you get your information?
UNC tickets start at $10 with specials:
Youth 6th grade and under Get FREE admission to all regular season UNC Athletics home events, including 2019 football games when you join Klawz's Cub Club for only $40 for the entire year!

Montanabob said:
PlayerRep said:
dupuyer griz said:

HUH? where do you get your information?
UNC tickets start at $10 with specials:
Youth 6th grade and under Get FREE admission to all regular season UNC Athletics home events, including 2019 football games when you join Klawz's Cub Club for only $40 for the entire year!
After how many years of having losing seasons, factor in what the attendance would be if they had a good enough season to be in the playoffs, let alone be seeded.

Even without factoring that in, 2500 tickets at $20, I doubt would be any problem

Wasn't there a year where the Griz weren't seeded, but after the first round, the seeds kept getting beat so that all the games to the NC were at home for us?

fencer24 said:
Wasn't there a year where the Griz weren't seeded, but after the first round, the seeds kept getting beat so that all the games to the NC were at home for us?

This 8 seeded teams stuff is relatively new. Seems like they used to bid the games except for the top 4 teams.

dupuyer griz said:
fencer24 said:

This 8 seeded teams stuff is relatively new. Seems like they used to bid the games except for the top 4 teams.

Yep. Everyone played the weekend after Turkey Day, as well.

Htowngriz said:
dupuyer griz said:
fencer24 said:
And now the eight games for the 16 unseeded teams often end up on a weekend after T-Day ... and it shows in the attendance. Attendance at the JMU game I mentioned on another thread was off 40% from their season average. That's another factor schools must take into account before they bid on a game.

Missoula223 said:
I am out of my comfort zone here, so I am mainly searching for answers. Who do the egriz experts think we will play if we win out? Which I do think we will win out. I see us getting a 3 seed. If the team from the east wins this weekend, I think we host them in the 2nd round if they win their playoff game. Am I crazy for this? I also think Weber drops to 6 and we host them in the quarters. If we win, we will travel to JMU. Thoughts? I know I might be looking too far ahead, but I am curious is all. Thanks.

Well we certainly want you to be comfortable. First of all, it's nearly impossible to say who will play whom. Only speculation can be done. So let us begin...

If Montana beats both Weber State and Bozeman State then probably...

A. Grizzlies will be a 3 seed (or #2 if JMU or NDSU somehow stumbled).
B. Weber will be a 5, 6, 7, 8 seed.
C. Bobcats will be an at large (if they beat UC Davis this weekend).

D. MSU would host a round 1 game.
If they win they'll be sent to Utah for round 2 (they didn't play Weber yet and it's nearby).

E. Montana's 2nd round opponent is likely to be from west of Missouri River or the MVFC.
So probably winner of San Diego/ SE Missouri/ Illinois St/ Southland conf. or something similar.

F. Quarter final pairing is strictly a matter of where teams are initially seeded.
If #3 & #6 Montana / Weber rematch is possible, yet not if #3-5, or #3-7...

Yes, you are looking way too far ahead. Though it is fun to be thinking/discussing playoffs again. Hope this helps calm your nerves. First things first, hope our guys kick Weber and the kitties. Go Griz!

IdaGriz01 said:
Htowngriz said:
dupuyer griz said:
fencer24 said:
And now the eight games for the 16 unseeded teams often end up on a weekend after T-Day ... and it shows in the attendance. Attendance at the JMU game I mentioned on another thread was off 40% from their season average. That's another factor schools must take into account before they bid on a game.

Even a 40% drop puts our attendance pretty high in the pecking order in comparison. A lot of teams would kill for our 40% reduced figures even during the regular season!

Latest posts

Back