• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Return the Punt?! You’re Kidding, Right?

IdaGriz01

We all know from the “eye test” that punter Adam Wilson is a weapon. Sadly, the NCAA doesn’t keep a stat for “inside the 20” or anything like that. If they did, I feel he’d be way up there. Mind you, he’s not bad in the stat that seems to get the most attention: yards per punt. Wilson is “only” #29, with a 41.7 ypp average. Not bad. But that, IMO, is not necessarily the best measure of a punters effectiveness or value to the team.

Being a “numbers” guy, I started looking for a better measure, and, several games back, came across the Punt Return Defense ranking by the NCAA. That’s a team stat, of course, but if the team always uses the same punter, it becomes an individual stat for that one guy. Following that stat has proven very interesting, and now it’s just amazing, almost mind-blowing, in my view.

First, the Griz are now ranked #4 in Punt Return Defense, measured by average yards per return. But here’s the deal, according to the latest NCAA numbers: In thirteen games, the Griz have had to “defend” just 12 twelve punt returns. Think about that for a moment … less than one attempt to return a punt per game. (Wilson has punted 58 times in those games, BTW.) And in those 12 attempts, they have gained a net of just 27 yards, for an average of 2.25 yards per (attempted ;) ) return.

The coverage guys are obviously doing a great job … but Wilson’s kicks set everything up.

IdaGriz01 said:
We all know from the “eye test” that punter Adam Wilson is a weapon. Sadly, the NCAA doesn’t keep a stat for “inside the 20” or anything like that. If they did, I feel he’d be way up there. Mind you, he’s not bad in the stat that seems to get the most attention: yards per punt. Wilson is “only” #29, with a 41.7 ypp average. Not bad. But that, IMO, is not necessary the best measure of a punters effectiveness or value to the team.

Being a “numbers” guy, I started looking for a better measure, and, several games back, came across the Punt Return Defense ranking by the NCAA. That’s a team stat, of course, but if the team always uses the same punter, it becomes an individual stat for that one guy. Following that stat has proven very interesting, and now it’s just amazing, almost mind-blowing, in my view.

First, the Griz are now ranked #4 in Punt Return Defense, measured by average yards per return. But here’s the deal, according to the latest NCAA numbers: In thirteen games, the Griz have had to “defend” just 12 twelve punt returns. Think about that for a moment … less than one attempt to return a punt per game. (Wilson has punted 58 times in those games, BTW.) And in those 12 attempts, they have gained a net of just 27 yards, for an average of 2.25 yards per (attempted ;) ) return.

The coverage guys are obviously doing a great job … but Wilson’s kicks set everything up.
Compare that excellence to where we were before BH returned.

Adam had a couple of not so great games late in the season but, otherwise, he was money. His ability to pin ball inside the 20 and also to not allow returns is as good as I have seen at the college level. Yet when it came time for all conference honors, Adam fell. The Griz will miss him as a weapon next season. He can also rugby punt quite well when that has been needed.

Great stats. Thx for doing that. I figured the return yardage was low, and net punting was good. The 12 returns is amazing.

go96griz said:
Adam had a couple of not so great games late in the season but, otherwise, he was money. His ability to pin ball inside the 20 and also to not allow returns is as good as I have seen at the college level. Yet when it came time for all conference honors, Adam fell. The Griz will miss him as a weapon next season. He can also rugby punt quite well when that has been needed.
The NFL is all about field position. If Wilson is interested, I'd be really surprised if he isn't "playing on Sunday" next year.

PlayerRep said:
Great stats. Thx for doing that. I figured the return yardage was low, and net punting was good. The 12 returns is amazing.
Yep. Considering how many time Wilson punted, it's unreal how seldom the returners even tried to advance them. And with an average length of over 40 yards, he wasn't kicking a lot of pooches or going short out of bounds.

kemajic said:

still trying to give yourself an excuse for saying you wouldn't support anything um-related if they didn't hire the football coach you wanted, "big griz supporter"?

kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:
We all know from the “eye test” that punter Adam Wilson is a weapon. Sadly, the NCAA doesn’t keep a stat for “inside the 20” or anything like that. If they did, I feel he’d be way up there. Mind you, he’s not bad in the stat that seems to get the most attention: yards per punt. Wilson is “only” #29, with a 41.7 ypp average. Not bad. But that, IMO, is not necessary the best measure of a punters effectiveness or value to the team.

Agreed! Remember when old man Delaney ran the special teams....that was....special.

PlayerRep said:
Wilson needs more consistency for NFL. He seems to have the rest.
Well, it should be easier to develop consistency when you don't have to worry about pesky things likes grades, making sure you have enough Ramen noodles in the cupboard, and ...
:lol:

Back