• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

WSU defensive effort 2nd half.

armonte

DONOR
Connor Mortensen?, in particular, was at the center of several big stops, seeing plays develop quickly and making tackles all over the field. He finished with a game-high 15 tackles with 14 solo tackles.

Another key for WSU was its rush defense (eight tackles-for-loss) and the pass rush (four sacks).

The Owls gained 216 rushing yards on 6.2 yards per carry in the first half. WSU gave up just 69 rushing yards on 32 carries in the second half, among them four sacks for a total loss of 16 yards.

Consider KSU, by virtue of being a run-heavy team, had given up just five sacks all year and the Wildcats’ second-half defensive performance might rank as one of their best defensive halves all year.

“If you’re just a split-second slow on your reads, you’re going to get cut, you’re going to get blocked, you’re going to get where they want you. In that second half we were much cleaner, much faster, obviously the play by Adam was huge,” Hill said.

Mortensen did have a good second half along with announcers calling out some dirty play, he was given warning by official about hitting in head area. Announcers said his aggressive play wasn't accidental, rather it was how he was coached, so before Weber fans get too upset about how they think the Griz play they may want to temper that with how their own team plays, hard nose physical play can be taken as dirty, but shouldn't.
As per other posts, Weber offense looked dismal and had untimely interception while protecting lead and Constatine had accuracy issues and Davis looked a bit nicked up still.
Post game Hill mentioned KSU's inability to throw was a big advantage for Weber.
Griz offense has good balance and will take advantage again of Weber's young secondary. Smith Weber's safety looked like he was banged up too. War of attrition at this point, UM TEs and JLM may have big games on Friday. Griz are due for a TE TD and 10+ catches for JLM. Quick passes don't let Weber D-line time to hit Sneed.

Diesel said:
Mortensen did have a good second half along with announcers calling out some dirty play, he was given warning by official about hitting in head area. Announcers said his aggressive play wasn't accidental, rather it was how he was coached, so before Weber fans get too upset about how they think the Griz play they may want to temper that with how their own team plays, hard nose physical play can be taken as dirty, but shouldn't.
As per other posts, Weber offense looked dismal and had untimely interception while protecting lead and Constatine had accuracy issues and Davis looked a bit nicked up still.
Post game Hill mentioned KSU's inability to throw was a big advantage for Weber.
Griz offense has good balance and will take advantage again of Weber's young secondary. Smith Weber's safety looked like he was banged up too. War of attrition at this point, UM TEs and JLM may have big games on Friday. Griz are due for a TE TD and 10+ catches for JLM. Quick passes don't let Weber D-line time to hit Sneed.

Pretty sure they had a targeting call that will leave the D shorthanded in the 1st half

I saw that somewhere too, but no difference in the 2 deep from prior 2 games.
Was a hit on QB and a safety as I remember.

Paytonlives said:
Diesel said:

Pretty sure they had a targeting call that will leave the D shorthanded in the 1st half

armonte said:
I saw that somewhere too, but no difference in the 2 deep from prior 2 games.
Was a hit on QB and a safety as I remember.

Paytonlives said:
Diesel said:

About two plays after the official talked to the safety the DE got the targeting call.

Another little tid bit Kennesaw was playing with their third string QB who did complete a couple short passes, but missed a uncovered WR downfield in second half. Weber shut run down because they didn't have to defend the pass.

I think the Weber defense is going to try to find a way to take away Toure, which will probably leave some opportunities for our other terrific receivers, and/or open up the run game. I just think we have too many offensive weapons for Weber to try to shut them all down. If Kennesaw state's quarterback could have completed some longer passes they would have owned Weber State last weekend.

Da Boyz Mom said:
I think the Weber defense is going to try to find a way to take away Toure, which will probably leave some opportunities for our other terrific receivers, and/or open up the run game. I just think we have too many offensive weapons for Weber to try to shut them all down. If Kennesaw state's quarterback could have completed some longer passes they would have owned Weber State last weekend.

Do you think Weber has the personnel to follow the same game plan that MSU used? Do you think that same game plan would work again against UM or would they have answers?

wbtfg said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Do you think Weber has the personnel to follow the same game plan that MSU used? Do you think that same game plan would work again against UM or would they have answers?

No I don't think Weber has the personnel to do what MSU did. I have watched several of their games from this year and they just aren't as physical as the Bobcats have been. If we played MSU again, that game plan may work again but who can say for sure. I would like to think that if the Griz coaching staff knew what was coming maybe they would have planned better. Or maybe the team just had a bad day. It's hard to say.

wbtfg said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Nope, that kind of baffoonery takes 3 years of shoving a square peg through a round hole until the peg eventually wears out and is mashed directly through that fucker.

wbtfg said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Well hate to say it but Weber is just no physical enough on the offensive side of the ball to make that work. The Gameplan worked for the Cats because they were physical enough to hold the edge blocks for a long time and le the ball carrier find the seem. From what I have seen of Weber I just don't see it happening. SELA tried to employ the same strategy. Tried to make MT move sideline to sideline and work the edges just like MSU. The only thing was they were not physical enough to maintain the edge block.

MSU may be the most healthy team of the four BS playoff teams at this point in the season. Sac limped out of the regular season and Peayed down their leg last week.
Sac st and Weber are showing the most weaknesses as of late and then the Brawl beat-down. MSU is the most consistent as of late to impose their will against their opponents. MSU is probably in the best position for their program to face NDSU.
Griz have injury issues and depth issues, but have a dangerous offense that when clicking covers over the weaknesses. Weber has a strong defense with a young secondary, their offense has issues starting with the QB.
Quick ranking of BS teams as per last four weeks 1. MSU, 2.UM, 3.Weber, 4.Sac
All four are physical in their play with speed in key areas thus the close seeding for the playoffs.

All games at this juncture of the season are tough ones given the competition. Griz won’t own Weber and I think the Cats are in for a tough game as well. Anybody expecting a blowout is a bit delusional. Unless you look at the #1 and #2 seeds. I fear they are just better than everyone else right now. In a couple of years that won’t be the case.

wbtfg said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

I'm hoping for a Frisco rematch to find out...

Back