• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Draft Declarations

IdaGriz01

Have not been keeping track, mostly because it’s not very common for FCS guys to declare for the draft early. Anyway, I figured we could have a thread to put the few that do turn up.

This was triggered by having Pete Guerriero of Monmouth, a junior, declaring for the draft:http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200115143508304821504&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

In one way, I can see his point. Most running backs seem to have only so many carries in their bodies. (Yes, I know there are exceptions, but most RBs wear out after just a few years.) Guerriero has already used up a bunch as the “go-to” running back for Monmouth. If he’s going to continue to take a pounding, he might as well get paid for it. The good news is: the “typical” draft prospect boards do not seem to have lot of backs on them this year. The CBS Sports board, for example, has only 6 out of their top-100. The bad news: All those guys are over 20 pounds heavier than Guerriero. Unless he can bulk up and still retain his niftiness, there’s no way he can be an every-down back in the NFL. Still, he isn’t bad as a receiver (over 10 yards per catch) and Monmouth passed a lot, so he knows how to pass-block.

Bottom line: Don’t see him actually getting drafted, but likely to get an invite as an Undrafted Free Agent. Can see him being useful as a change-of-pace runner who can catch some tosses coming out of the backfield. In any case, I wish him well.

Anybody hear of any other early FCS declarations?

SaskGriz said:
This isn't a Monmouth page, but no, Guerriero has no chance of playing in the NFL.
I'm very doubtful too, unless some team has a special need for what he can do.

This really makes you wonder where the young man is getting his advice. Another year in college and strength conditioning might give him the bulk to at least be in the conversation, but there are just too many much bigger guys who can do what he does, right now.

Back