• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JMU Brings in 250k in Beer Sales

HookedonGriz

DONOR
JMU deemed their first year of beer sales very successful. They brought in 250k through 9 games and curbed the amount of binge drinking at the same time. I guess we don’t like free money to be passing this up:

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/JMU-Athletics-reports-successful-first-year-in-alcohol-sales-at-Bridgeforth-Stadium-leads-to-less-binge-drinking-567135811.html

I agree this is a lost opportunity for revenue and it would help create a better second half environment if beer sales were allowed in the stadium. Please also keep in mind that beer sales inside the stadium will also bite the GSA tailgate's hand that feeds athletic scholarships. If beer sales were allowed in the game, somehow the GSA would have to get a portion of these funds in order to pay for scholarships. I believe UM keeps all concession sales today. This would likely leave the GSA with a funding issue since the tailgate sales are a major source of revenue.

Currently, the University does not have its own liquor license. They put out bids for catering every few years. I believe the Badlander or the Rhino has or had it. I am not sure what they would have to do to get their own license. Alcohol sales don't bring in that much currently for basketball.

grizpack said:
Currently, the University does not have its own liquor license. They put out bids for catering every few years. I believe the Badlander or the Rhino has or had it. I am not sure what they would have to do to get their own license. Alcohol sales don't bring in that much currently for basketball.

I have to think, though, if JMU is clearing about 27k per game in beer sales (in a smaller stadium) then the Griz would do damn well. Plus we are Montanans and would drink them under the table. It wouldn’t surprise me to see UM take in much higher revenues from it.

grizpack said:

I don't believe alcohol sales are currently available to the entire basketball attending public. I also think the fact that the football crowd being 5 - 6 times larger might be a factor.

Give GSA the contract. Let them work out the logistics. Could only help put additional butts in the seats at the start of the 3rd qtr.

MikeyGriz said:
grizpack said:

I don't believe alcohol sales are currently available to the entire basketball attending public. I also think the fact that the football crowd being 5 - 6 times larger might be a factor.

Give GSA the contract. Let them work out the logistics. Could only help put additional butts in the seats at the start of the 3rd qtr.

Yep while literally printing more money. No brainer.

HookedonGriz said:
Plus we are Montanans and would drink them under the table.

I think this is one reason the University doesn't want to deal with any possible liability.

grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:

I think this is one reason the University doesn't want to deal with any possible liability.
There is already liability with tailgates on campus. Half a million a game increased revenue would afford a pretty good insurance rider.

HookedonGriz said:
JMU deemed their first year of beer sales very successful. They brought in 250k through 9 games and curbed the amount of binge drinking at the same time. I guess we don’t like free money to be passing this up:

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/JMU-Athletics-reports-successful-first-year-in-alcohol-sales-at-Bridgeforth-Stadium-leads-to-less-binge-drinking-567135811.html

"After a nine-game season, concessions grossed $250,000 off of alcohol sales . . ."

They had nine home games, and the 250k is gross. Sure, there are economies of scale there by simply adding it to existing concessions, so I'm sure they made a healthy profit. But everybody knows UM would be in the red after paying for all those required port-o-lets.

In all seriousness, the old saying that we don't have enough bathrooms is convenient, but has anyone conducted a study on our bathroom deficiency based on adjusted necessity from legal beer sales?

1. I would assume that most who would be buying beer are already drinking it on the slide, and thus are already contributing to existing bathroom traffic?
2. Further, would those who currently smuggle in five and slam them covertly (or shotgun them in the parking lot) instead maybe just purchase three inside and drink them openly?
3. Based on the answers to #1 and #2, are we ten terlets short, or 100, or do we maybe have enough already?

kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:

There is already liability with tailgates on campus. Half a million a game increased revenue would afford a pretty good insurance rider.

Great point. A related one: What about the current liability for missing contraband booze coming through the gate?

CDAGRIZ said:
HookedonGriz said:

"After a nine-game season, concessions grossed $250,000 off of alcohol sales . . ."

They had nine home games, and the 250k is gross. Sure, there are economies of scale there by simply adding it to existing concessions, so I'm sure they made a healthy profit. But everybody knows UM would be in the red after paying for all those required port-o-lets.

In all seriousness, the old saying that we don't have enough bathrooms is convenient, but has anyone conducted a study on our bathroom deficiency based on adjusted necessity from legal beer sales?

1. I would assume that most who would be buying beer are already drinking it on the slide, and thus are already contributing to existing bathroom traffic?
2. Further, would those who currently smuggle in five and slam them covertly (or shotgun them in the parking lot) instead maybe just purchase three inside and drink them openly?
3. Based on the answers to #1 and #2, are we ten terlets short, or 100, or do we maybe have enough already?

who is smuggling in 5 beers at once? those are impressive numbers

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:

Great point. A related one: What about the current liability for missing contraband booze coming through the gate?

Tongue-in-cheek

BozAngelesGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
HookedonGriz said:

who is smuggling in 5 beers at once? those are impressive numbers

Fair enough. The point stands about having to adjust the bathroom sufficiency assessment for those already ripping beers in or out of the stadium.

Put another way, I would venture that the amount of people who don't currently drink beers on gameday, but would drink enough legal beers inside that they would contribute significantly to the bathroom lines might be insignificant.

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:

Tongue-in-cheek

:thumb:

HookedonGriz said:
grizpack said:

I have to think, though, if JMU is clearing about 27k per game in beer sales (in a smaller stadium) then the Griz would do damn well. Plus we are Montanans and would drink them under the table. It wouldn’t surprise me to see UM take in much higher revenues from it.

My first thought was: "That's it?"

go96griz said:
I agree this is a lost opportunity for revenue and it would help create a better second half environment if beer sales were allowed in the stadium. Please also keep in mind that beer sales inside the stadium will also bite the GSA tailgate's hand that feeds athletic scholarships. If beer sales were allowed in the game, somehow the GSA would have to get a portion of these funds in order to pay for scholarships. I believe UM keeps all concession sales today. This would likely leave the GSA with a funding issue since the tailgate sales are a major source of revenue.

IDEA...GSA opens a beer garden inside the stadium with the one outside the stadium.....

Arguments for:
- President, deans, and their guests get alcohol in the stadium. Hypocritical for them to deny it to us.
- revenue
- nobody leaving at half
- crowd wants it (also known as customers), and the customer is never wrong
- louder atmosphere (maybe even colder ;))
- already have sales in Skyclub and Stadium seating. This initiative is to broaden, which is not nearly as big of an issue as "do we allow sales?"
- already have liability with tailgates, boxes, and sales.
- GSA gets most of its sales before the game, not halftime. So the impact not that great. Maybe GSA gets a beer/wine license and gets the revenue??
- we become less uptight as a society
- people aren't going to actually be more drunk than they already are; they will just drink in a more convenient location
- people will notice we have a marching band

I think the mantra to getting this done is "extend the sales to the masses" rather than "start selling alcohol"

Arguments against:

1. There MIGHT not be enough urinals (but, there might be. No proof either way, but it sounds like a good inside reason).
2. There are always hundreds of reasons to not adapt/innovate.
3. It simply can’t be done.

What am I missing?

CDAGRIZ said:
Arguments against:

1. There MIGHT not be enough urinals (but, there might be. No proof either way, but it sounds like a good inside reason).
2. There are always hundreds of reasons to not adapt/innovate.
3. It simply can’t be done.

What am I missing?

Stitt?

Back