• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MSU looking into COA

Griz til I die

DONOR
https://t.co/dW4uqxJHLP?amp=1

We absolutely need to do something about this. This would provide a significant recruiting advantage. Hopefully the BOR will come to their senses on this but probably not since UM is the BOR’s doormat. :roll:

WOW!! It’s almost like Choate was trying to send a message to fans, boosters and administration with his comments before the NDSU game. I’m shocked, I tell ya, shocked.

Griz til I die said:

We absolutely need to do something about this. This would provide a significant recruiting advantage. Hopefully the BOR will come to their senses on this but probably not since UM is the BOR’s doormat. :roll:

How is UM the BOR’s doormat? Didn’t the BOR dictate that MSU subsidize UM to the tune of $10-15 million/year?

by Griz til I die » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:44 pm

The article states that "Because cost of attendance will be provided by private donations, MSU will have to raise even more funds than before. This poses as another obstacle.

According to Montana State’s athletics website, the Bobcat Club, which solicits scholarship funds, raised $1.21 million in 2017. That was fourth in the Big Sky not including Weber State. Montana raised $2.3 million."

So we are already raising more money. Logically it would appear that we are spending more but I'm not sure that is the case. Just not sure what you are proposing that "We" do other than donate more or lobby the BOR that MSU can't do this unless UM can do it as well.

wbtfg said:
WOW!! It’s almost like Choate was trying to send a message to fans, boosters and administration with his comments before the NDSU game. I’m shocked, I tell ya, shocked.
He pretty much plays the role of AD at msu. Everything he says goes, which isn’t a bad thing. Don’t take that in the wrong context.

wbtfg said:
Griz til I die said:

How is UM the BOR’s doormat? Didn’t the BOR dictate that MSU subsidize UM to the tune of $10-15 million/year?

How did I miss the $10 million to $15 million subsidy from MSU? Please post a link to the action that created this arrangement.
I think waded should probably start with the other campuses under her leadership that are cratering.

griz4life said:
wbtfg said:
Griz til I die said:

How did I miss the $10 million to $15 million subsidy from MSU? Please post a link to the action that created this arrangement.
I think waded should probably start with the other campuses under her leadership that are cratering.

UM receives more tax payer dollars per in state student. If MSU received the same per student support from taxpayers that would be a $10-15 million net increase.

The regents are essentially trying to bail out UM by redirecting funding from MSU.

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, in fact it’s likely the best thing for the economic future of montana. No one wants to see UM fail as an institution, but to say UM is the BOR’s doormat isnt accurate.

wbtfg said:
griz4life said:
wbtfg said:
Griz til I die said:

UM receives more tax payer dollars per in state student. If MSU received the same per student support from taxpayers that would be a $10-15 million net increase.

Where's your support for that statement? I thought state funds were allocated to schools on a per student basis.

PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:
griz4life said:
wbtfg said:

Where's your support for that statement? I thought state funds were allocated to schools on a per student basis.

It was in a Missoulian article somewhere. I’ll try to track it down. And you’re right. That was pretty much always the case until UMs enrollment struggles.

PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:
griz4life said:
wbtfg said:

“State appropriations per resident student (are) arguably our No. 1 metric when it comes to state appropriations,” he said. In 1992, the first year for which data are readily available, Montana appropriated $9,013 (in 2019 dollars) per resident student. It’s fallen and risen in the years since, but at $8,565, the appropriation per resident student in the FY 2020 budget is the highest since 1992.

This figure comes out to $9,782 at UM-Missoula and $7,886 at MSU-Bozeman. MSU-Northern in Havre had the highest in the state at $11,641. MSU-Billings' per-resident-student spending will be $7,163.

https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/regents-approve-billion-university-system-budget/article_acd71891-ab75-5e44-b69a-d450ad1a441e.html

https://mus.edu/borpol/bor900/970-1.pdf

"The allocation calculation will utilize individual campus percent share of the MUS three year average of resident student FTE in the three most recent years as the primary driver in the distribution of funds. Other allocation drivers may include, but are not limited to, the cost of education, student to faculty ratios, and tuition and state appropriations per student in relation to peers."

PlayerRep said:
https://mus.edu/borpol/bor900/970-1.pdf

"The allocation calculation will utilize individual campus percent share of the MUS three year average of resident student FTE in the three most recent years as the primary driver in the distribution of funds. Other allocation drivers may include, but are not limited to, the cost of education, student to faculty ratios, and tuition and state appropriations per student in relation to peers."

Pretty ambiguous wording in there. I’d be curious what the “other allocation drivers” are and how much weight each driver carried in the calculation.

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:
griz4life said:

“State appropriations per resident student (are) arguably our No. 1 metric when it comes to state appropriations,” he said. In 1992, the first year for which data are readily available, Montana appropriated $9,013 (in 2019 dollars) per resident student. It’s fallen and risen in the years since, but at $8,565, the appropriation per resident student in the FY 2020 budget is the highest since 1992.

This figure comes out to $9,782 at UM-Missoula and $7,886 at MSU-Bozeman. MSU-Northern in Havre had the highest in the state at $11,641. MSU-Billings' per-resident-student spending will be $7,163.

https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/regents-approve-billion-university-system-budget/article_acd71891-ab75-5e44-b69a-d450ad1a441e.html

I don't read this the way you do. It says that $8565 is allocated per resident student. Same for all state universities, not more for UM. It looks like the MSU president then allocates more per student to Northern than to other components of the MSU system. I will try to remember to call one of the regents tomorrow if I get time.

PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:

I don't read this the way you do. It says that $8565 is allocated per resident student. Same for all state universities, not more for UM. It looks like the MSU president then allocates more per student to Northern than to other components of the MSU system. I will try to remember to call one of the regents tomorrow if I get time.
If you call one of them, get their thoughts on this cost of attendance issue too.

PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:

Here’s my interpretation: $8565/student is allocated by the legislature to the university system in one lump sum of money. Then it’s up to the presidents and commissioners office to make recommendations on how to disburse to each campus. Then, based on that information, the regents make the final decision.

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:

Here’s my interpretation: $8565/student is allocated by the legislature to the university system in one lump sum of money. Then it’s up to the presidents and commissioners office to make recommendations on how to disburse to each campus. Then, based on that information, the regents make the final decision.

Perhaps, but I was told, a number of years ago, on good authority, that that was not how it was done then.

PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:

Perhaps, but I was told, a number of years ago, on good authority, that that was not how it was done then.

I think something changed 3-4 years ago with how resident allocations were divvied up.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/montana_state_university/regents-ready-to-freeze-tuition-renovate-romney-hall/article_3ec82607-3924-5dab-b073-064ec10203e4.html

PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:
wbtfg said:

This markup should shed some light on the changes. Lots of big changes in here taking allocation away from the presidents and giving it to the commissioners office. Also adds the ambiguous language of the mystery “other allocation drivers” and “including but not limited to....”

https://mus.edu/board/meetings/2017/Mar2017/AdminBudget/174-102-R0317_RevisedPolicy.pdf

Latest posts

Back