• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New hiring freeze at UM

PlayerRep

"The Montana University System implemented a hiring freeze across all its campuses until further notice as colleges across the country anxiously await the effects coronavirus will have on enrollment this fall.

Already predicting an $18 million loss this spring as students move off campus and on-campus events evaporate, officials said a hiring freeze was the only prudent way to proceed.

while state funding is set for the next school year, that only makes up about a fifth of the total university system budget. The largest part of the budget comes from student tuition and other factors affected by the number of students on campus.

Most surveys have found somewhere around 20% of students are reconsidering whether to attend college in the fall, specifically due to coronavirus, and fewer are feeling confident about being able to pay for college. Some students said they planned on going to school close to home due to the virus."

https://missoulian.com/news/local/covid-19-spurs-montana-university-system-hiring-freeze/article_4ecffe09-013c-5db5-b0dd-c8a7af9c300a.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

[Is UM screwed, or can it recover?]

PlayerRep said:
"The Montana University System implemented a hiring freeze across all its campuses until further notice as colleges across the country anxiously await the effects coronavirus will have on enrollment this fall.

Already predicting an $18 million loss this spring as students move off campus and on-campus events evaporate, officials said a hiring freeze was the only prudent way to proceed.

while state funding is set for the next school year, that only makes up about a fifth of the total university system budget. The largest part of the budget comes from student tuition and other factors affected by the number of students on campus.

Most surveys have found somewhere around 20% of students are reconsidering whether to attend college in the fall, specifically due to coronavirus, and fewer are feeling confident about being able to pay for college. Some students said they planned on going to school close to home due to the virus."

https://missoulian.com/news/local/covid-19-spurs-montana-university-system-hiring-freeze/article_4ecffe09-013c-5db5-b0dd-c8a7af9c300a.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Survival of higher ed at UM is on life support. Much same for other institutions across country already faced with enrollment and related financial challenges. I think higher ed in Montana in store for serious retooling. Could be the end of smaller state funded colleges here. Perhaps all may eventually end up consolidated into two universities or.....perhaps a sole entity.

first11 said:
PlayerRep said:

Survival of higher ed at UM is on life support. Much same for other institutions across country already faced with enrollment and related financial challenges. I think higher ed in Montana in store for serious retooling. Could be the end of smaller state funded colleges here. Perhaps all may eventually end up consolidated into two universities or.....perhaps a sole entity.

Or, maybe reform the smalls into JUCO feeders. Too much real estate to close up.

About once/yr someone comes on here and suggests closing the smaller schools or making them JUCO or 2-yr or something dumb like that, and I just SMH.
My guess is, they know very little about those schools, probably have never really visited them, maybe never even went to college, and if they did, I guarantee it was not at MT Tech. They can knock themselves out talking trash about the little schools. Fine by me. But it just shows their ignorance, particularly if they are lumping Tech into the brilliant plan

Alies, I don’t think there is a plan. At this point, only discussion and Montana Tech should be a part of the discussion.

Sir-spanks-alot,
I know how dumb this “discussion” is, if it includes Tech. I want to see how dumb you guys can make it. For my own entertainment purposes; so bored lately. Let’s hear it?
Here, I’ll help you out. I believe there are 7 “small” colleges in MT. But 3 are private (Carroll, Rocky, GFP) so the state has no control over cutting those.
I’m telling you now, Tech will never be on the cut list. In fact, I think it’s more likely that Tech’s enrollment surpasses UM’s someday (I’m not saying that’s probable, but it is looking way more likely than one of these hair-brained ideas to cut it). I’ll bet you have not been on campus in at least 100 years. Pound-for-pound, it’s the best school in the state, and I don’t think that’s even a contest. This oughta catch me some trolls: Tech is the best engineering school and nursing school in the state.
Tech has accredited PhDs now which are very unique and recently brought in like 20 mil in research grants.
So that leaves only 3 schools: Western, Northern, and MSU-b. Like I said, if you want to argue those 3 should be limited, knock yourself out. But don’t make yourself look so stupid by including Tech.
Personally, I don’t like the idea of limiting those three. They are at opposite corners of the state, and it seems like you’re sentencing those isolated regions to a lifetime of destitution

garizzalies said:
Sir-spanks-alot,
I know how dumb this “discussion” is, if it includes Tech. I want to see how dumb you guys can make it. For my own entertainment purposes; so bored lately. Let’s hear it?
Here, I’ll help you out. I believe there are 7 “small” colleges in MT. But 3 are private (Carroll, Rocky, GFP) so the state has no control over cutting those.
I’m telling you now, Tech will never be on the cut list. In fact, I think it’s more likely that Tech’s enrollment surpasses UM’s someday (I’m not saying that’s probable, but it is looking way more likely than one of these hair-brained ideas to cut it). I’ll bet you have not been on campus in at least 100 years. Pound-for-pound, it’s the best school in the state, and I don’t think that’s even a contest. This oughta catch me some trolls: Tech is the best engineering school and nursing school in the state.
Tech has accredited PhDs now which are very unique and recently brought in like 20 mil in research grants.
So that leaves only 3 schools: Western, Northern, and MSU-b. Like I said, if you want to argue those 3 should be limited, knock yourself out. But don’t make yourself look so stupid by including Tech.
Personally, I don’t like the idea of limiting those three. They are at opposite corners of the state, and it seems like you’re sentencing those isolated regions to a lifetime of destitution
You have to ask yourself whether there is anything unique about the Butte facilities for Tech and whether the Tech programs and faculties could be consolidated to the overbuilt UM campus.

Well, Alies, Tech is a good school, but not MIT. It should be included in the discussion. I like Kem’s idea. Having so many colleges in the horse and buggy days was a good idea, but no longer.

garizzalies said:
Sir-spanks-alot,

I agree with you that Tech is a very, very good school. I'd send my kid there in a heartbeat.

That said, what's your take on why their enrollment is trending downward?

They were at 1,714 this fall, down from 2,130 in 2015.

Spanky2 said:
Well, Alies, Tech is a good school, but not MIT. It should be included in the discussion. I like Kem’s idea. Having so many colleges in the horse and buggy days was a good idea, but no longer.

Is it the MIT of the West?

PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

Not quite!

PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

That would be Cal Tech.

kemajic said:
garizzalies said:
Sir-spanks-alot,
You have to ask yourself whether there is anything unique about the Butte facilities for Tech and whether the Tech programs and faculties could be consolidated to the overbuilt UM campus.
Here’s another example of somebody who probably has not been on Tech’s campus in at least 100yrs.
And perfect egriz logic: to fix something that’s broken, we should destroy something that’s nearly perfect.
Gives me an idea on how to fix this whole COVID problem: if you’re over 50, you get a bullet in the head. #boom. Problem solved. You’re welcome.

this would be a good time to...

1) consolidate some of the duplicate programs in the montana system,
2) give non-productive, retirement age professors who have tenure a six month terminal contract,
3) transfer the contracts of non-productive, tenured professors with significant contract time for research. those who are good teachers, but not likely to accrue significant research grants in the future, should go to 9 month, teaching contracts, with increased teaching loads and little or no time allotted for research

argh! said:
this would be a good time to...

1) consolidate some of the duplicate programs in the montana system,
2) give non-productive, retirement age professors who have tenure a six month terminal contract,
3) transfer the contracts of non-productive, tenured professors with significant contract time for research. those who are good teachers, but not likely to accrue significant research grants in the future, should go to 9 month, teaching contracts, with increased teaching loads and little or no time allotted for research
+++++

garizzalies said:
kemajic said:
garizzalies said:
Sir-spanks-alot,
Here’s another example of somebody who probably has not been on Tech’s campus in at least 100yrs.
And perfect egriz logic: to fix something that’s broken, we should destroy something that’s nearly perfect.
Gives me an idea on how to fix this whole COVID problem: if you’re over 50, you get a bullet in the head. #boom. Problem solved. You’re welcome.
You are delusional. Tech's enrollment is decreasing, not increasing. It's cost per student hour is high because it is so small. There is a ceiling on its potential growth because of the size of the Butte infrastructure without significant investment which is not going to happen. It's excellent programs would benefit from a larger campus infrastructure and cross campus opportunities. That vacant infrastructure already exists at the Missoula campus. It could be set up as a separate Tech School to avoid contamination by poorly managed UM departments. Your myopic defensive view of Tech today is counter to the overall University System's need to provide more cost effective learning across the state. The state does not need two engineering schools within 85 miles.

Speaking of delusional, do think your childish response to the COVID-19 crisis helps your Tech argument? Easy to dismiss anything you post.

garizzalies said:
About once/yr someone comes on here and suggests closing the smaller schools or making them JUCO or 2-yr or something dumb like that, and I just SMH.
My guess is, they know very little about those schools, probably have never really visited them, maybe never even went to college, and if they did, I guarantee it was not at MT Tech. They can knock themselves out talking trash about the little schools. Fine by me. But it just shows their ignorance, particularly if they are lumping Tech into the brilliant plan

I don't think the plan is terrible, and I went to one of those small schools. I think population wise, it is understandable. Tech is in the discussion because it is what it is, a decent engineering school. I'm not saying I agree with the thought, but it may come down to that as being a possible answer. I would rather that UofM work on the degree programs offered to help move into the future. The problem is that many of the offerings haven't evolved over the last 30 years, many of them not as practical as they were back then. Whether you take a physical class or an online class, tuition is still paid. If this leads to more online courses possible and the closing or renovation of some of the old physical buildings, I don't think that is a bad thing going forward. The university IS on life support, and has been for a while. Change is what will keep it going.

Back