• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ivy league cancelling fall sports?

Brother Bear

TMG Sports' Blaudschun reports the Ivy League is considering two FB models for the upcoming season: 1) A seven-game conference-only slate beginning in late September; or, 2) "The second plan, which is gaining momentum because of the increasing number of positive Covid-19 cases in the country, would shut down football until next spring, with a start up (for practice) in March and another 7-game (conference opponents only) beginning in April and concluding in mid-May." The choice & subsequent return plan is expected to be shared in the next couple of weeks. reports the Ivy League is considering two FB models for the upcoming season: 1) A seven-game conference-only slate beginning in late September; or, 2) "The second plan, which is gaining momentum because of the increasing number of positive Covid-19 cases in the country, would shut down football until next spring, with a start up (for practice) in March and another 7-game (conference opponents only) beginning in April and concluding in mid-May." The choice & subsequent return plan is expected to be shared in the next couple of weeks.

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/mark-blaudschun/ivy-league-football

Since the Ivy schools don't participate in the FCS playoffs anyway, I could see them doing this. I wonder if some other levels of college football or leagues would move to the spring as well, while others try for the fall?

Honestly if we can’t play a full a fall season, this would be my preference. If they’re correct that a vaccine will be ready by January and it looks bad for football in the fall, the NCAA really should look at moving the entire season to the spring, when you may be able to get more fans in the stands.

Brother Bear said:
TMG Sports' Blaudschun reports the Ivy League is considering two FB models for the upcoming season: 1) A seven-game conference-only slate beginning in late September; or, 2) "The second plan, which is gaining momentum because of the increasing number of positive Covid-19 cases in the country, would shut down football until next spring, with a start up (for practice) in March and another 7-game (conference opponents only) beginning in April and concluding in mid-May." The choice & subsequent return plan is expected to be shared in the next couple of weeks. reports the Ivy League is considering two FB models for the upcoming season: 1) A seven-game conference-only slate beginning in late September; or, 2) "The second plan, which is gaining momentum because of the increasing number of positive Covid-19 cases in the country, would shut down football until next spring, with a start up (for practice) in March and another 7-game (conference opponents only) beginning in April and concluding in mid-May." The choice & subsequent return plan is expected to be shared in the next couple of weeks.

Since the Ivy schools don't participate in the FCS playoffs anyway, I could see them doing this. I wonder if some other levels of college football or leagues would move to the spring as well, while others try for the fall?
I think this is a idea worth looking at.

Brother Bear said:

As posted in another thread, this is one of the options under review by the PAC-12.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Arti ... ssion=true

I think we had one chance to have football with fans in the fall and that is now gone due to the new spikes in infections. We screwed it up. I highly doubt they will play at all in the fall, even in empty stadiums. No $$ in that for the FCS.

No way a school administrator sends to team to play another team that has just had multiple recent infections on the team. Just not going to happen.

Maybe spring but who knows.

p8nted said:
I think we had one chance to have football with fans in the fall and that is now gone due to the new spikes in infections. We screwed it up. I highly doubt they will play at all in the fall, even in empty stadiums. No $$ in that for the FCS.

No way a school administrator sends to team to play another team that has just had multiple recent infections on the team. Just not going to happen.

Football games wouldn't start for over 2 months. Any Covid cases now will be long gone by then.

What schools in Big Sky have Covid cases now?

Missoula County has had very few infections  Missoula County and Gallatin County have each had 1 death.

Gallatin has one person in the hospital.

What are you so afraid of?

Ivies will decide on sports in July.

Dartmouth plans to have only frosh and juniors on campus, and many classes will be online, but not all. I suppose that could goof up sports.

PlayerRep said:
p8nted said:

Football games wouldn't start for over 2 months. Any Covid cases now will be long gone by then.

Missoula County has had very few infections  Missoula County and Gallatin County have each had 1 death.

Not to mention, everyone making these decisions have known the cases were going to go up! Just like everyone else should have known.

Did some people really not think as we allowed people to start working again and going out again there wouldn’t be more cases? Or that we’re testing far more people than we’ve ever tested? People didn’t think that would result in more cases?

If hospitalizations and deaths start to climb we have an issue. If a few players here and there get the virus (that we know about) is shouldn’t warrant no football in months.

If they decide to not play football, I’d hope it was because there is an actual threat to the well being of the the kids. Not because of public overreaction to cases going up.

Just to get ahead of the curb, we’re going to see cases rise in the coming days too......

PlayerRep said:
p8nted said:

Arizona just basically locked back down and moved backed the start of k-12 public school in the fall. Without a tight lockdown, which wont happen again, it will take over a month to bring this surge under control. They wont make the same mistake twice and reopen so quickly. Not about fear but rather common sense.

Hospitalization numbers are hitting record highs in Arizona, Texas, and california.

Football games wouldn't start for over 2 months. Any Covid cases now will be long gone by then. Really? Proof?

What schools in Big Sky have Covid cases now? Montana State does

[/quote]

Head in sand? :eek:

p8nted said:
PlayerRep said:

Arizona just basically locked back down and moved backed the start of k-12 public school in the fall. Without a tight lockdown, which wont happen again, it will take over a month to bring this surge under control. They wont make the same mistake twice and reopen so quickly. Not about fear but rather common sense.

Hospitalization numbers are hitting record highs in Arizona, Texas, and california.

With the spike in all these states, who the hell do we play if we do play? Fans or no fans. If there isn't a team to play, doesn't mean much. UM and MSU can't play each other 6 times and call it a season.
How do you crown a National Champion if you only have twenty teams or less?
Things are looking bleak at best.
All I know is, if the Griz have a season and have fans, I am there!

Moving to the spring sounds like a great idea in theory but throws the whole football year schedule off. It seems like the NCAA would have to step in at some point to redefine what is acceptable for individual workouts, player run practices, preseason camps, and other collective workouts.

66volvo said:
Football games wouldn't start for over 2 months. Any Covid cases now will be long gone by then. Really? Proof?

What schools in Big Sky have Covid cases now? Montana State does

Head in sand? :eek:
[/quote]

You think that college kids with the Covid now, will still have the Covid by the time school and football season start? Most college kids are over it in a week or two.

So, 1 Cat football player tested positive. You think that will stop the Cats' season or the Big Sky season?

reinell30 said:
p8nted said:

With the spike in all these states, who the hell do we play if we do play? Fans or no fans. If there isn't a team to play, doesn't mean much. UM and MSU can't play each other 6 times and call it a season.
How do you crown a National Champion if you only have twenty teams or less?
Things are looking bleak at best.
All I know is, if the Griz have a season and have fans, I am there!
Honestly, if the alternative is no season, I would love to see a first-to-five series between the two schools. That would be pretty wild, but extremely entertaining. :thumb:

Dartmouth plans to have only frosh and juniors on campus, and have mainly online classes. I heard that the junior guys are looking forward to having almost no competition for the frosh girls.

Houston hospitals ER’s flooded and patients being sent over 50 miles away just to find a hospital bed.

Very Very unlikely there will be ncaa football this fall. No city will take the chance of that happening to their hospitals.

Hoping for some kind of spring thing

p8nted said:
Houston hospitals ER’s flooded and patients being sent over 50 miles away just to find a hospital bed.

Very Very unlikely there will be ncaa football this fall. No city will take the chance of that happening to their hospitals.

With all due respect, you don’t know how hospitals operate. I saw the article you’re referring to.

I don’t think people in general understand that ER’s routinely work at a “max” capacity with wiggle room. They have resources to turn any bed into an ER bed. They won’t have to do that in Houston, I’d almost guarantee it.

I think it’s very very likely we have football this fall. Even with all of this unnecessary fear.

ilovethecats said:
p8nted said:

With all due respect, you don’t know how hospitals operate. I saw the article you’re referring to.

I don’t think people in general understand that ER’s routinely work at a “max” capacity with wiggle room. They have resources to turn any bed into an ER bed. They won’t have to do that in Houston, I’d almost guarantee it.

I think it’s very very likely we have football this fall. Even with all of this unnecessary fear.

If you read the article it is a shortage of nurses and docs. They dont have enough staff to handle the load. Emts are sitting with patients and can do nothing until nurses are free. The public hospitals in houston are shipping patients out

p8nted said:
ilovethecats said:

If you read the article it is a shortage of nurses and docs. They dont have enough staff to handle the load. Emts are sitting with patients and can do nothing until nurses are free. The public hospitals in houston are shipping patients out

And while Covid is certainly not helping this issue, it's also not creating it. Houston, like many metro areas, has been facing shortages of healthcare workers for years. It's a huge problem, and has been. But it's way better for the media to just say things like hospitals are at max capacity and there's not enough doctors to help all the Covid victims. People will read that, have no context, and it's just another thing to worry about.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/04-20-20-houston-medical-workers-shortage-texas-medical-center/

Back