• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best Griz To Wear The Number 11-20

SaskGriz

DONOR
11 Dalton Sneed: This was another difficult pick and maybe speaks more to the importance of leadership and the position of quarterback than any other factors.

Honorable Mention: Vernon Smith and Damon Boddie were both talented defensive backs. Marvin Turk a single fantastic season at wide receiver and had he played longer might have been the player for this selection.

12 Matt Hermanson: Maybe best remembered for his three picks in a Cat/Griz game, this safety was a consistent performer who garnered some All-American votes his Senior year.

Honorable Mention: Andrew Selle quarterbacked some very good Montana teams, he shared duties with Justin Roper for part of his career which might have held down his overall numbers. Brent Meyers was an All-Big Sky linebacker.

13 Mike Rice: This was a very difficult pick. Rice was in his day the best punter in America while being the best receiver in the Big Sky.

Honorable Mention: Tuff Harris in his day was not only a top returner and defensive back, but maybe the best all round athlete to ever play for the Griz. No shame in third, Calvin Coleman was an All Big Sky cornerback who was also an Honorable Mention All American.

14 Cole Bergquist: An excellent quarterback on some excellent Montana teams.

Honorable Mention: Tony Rice was a quality running back and Second Team All-Big Sky performer back in the early ‘90’s.

15 Dave Dickenson

Honorable Mention: Answer to a trivia question, Kirk Duce, the kicker was the last player to wear “15” before The Legend of the Falls.

16 Jerry Louie-McGee: Great possession receiver but magical punt returner, made everybody at WGS pay attention.

Honorable Mention: Jabin Sambrano a better deep threat than JLM and an excellent returner in his own right.

17 Etu Molden , the stud receiver of Montana’s 2001 National Title team.

Honorable Mention: Robby Hauck, with two fantastic seasons under his belt he may soon be the no brainer for the “17” jersey.

18 Sammy Akem: A wide receiver of almost unlimited potential. When healthy he is at times impossible to cover.

Honorable Mention: Keith Burke was an All-Big Sky corner back in the mid-90’s. Jimmy Wilson wore 18 early in his career but switched to 21 for his Senior season so wasn’t considered here.

19 Colt Anderson: The All American safety is in any conversation about an All-Time Montana defence.

Honorable Mention: A young star kick returner in Malik Flowers and an old star kick returner in Renard
Coleman.

20 Brent Pease: Coach Read’s first QB. His one year as a starter resulted in a 3000 yd. 30 td season.

Honorable Mention: Quinton Richardson was an All American at cornerback and Houston Roots was very useful playing opposite Trumaine Johnson. John Nguyen followed in his older brother’s footsteps and played well as a rusher/receiver and return man.

Wasn't Damon Boddie (#11 honorable mention) a RB? If memory serves me correct (questionable), I remember him breaking some big runs while getting the occasional hand-off in that offense.

GoldStandardGriz said:
Wasn't Damon Boddie (#11 honorable mention) a RB? If memory serves me correct (questionable), I remember him breaking some big runs while getting the occasional hand-off in that offense.
You are 100% correct. I couldn't tell RB from DB in my notes. You have caught the first of what will most likely be many errors.

IN MY OPINION... Etu Molden is MILES ahead of Robby in the #17 talk. I don't see Bobby ever coming close to being as impactful and good as Molden...

SACCAT66 said:
IN MY OPINION... Etu Molden is MILES ahead of Robby in the #17 talk. I don't see Bobby ever coming close to being as impactful and good as Molden...
It’s a jolly-good observation, and might-right, but blimey, are you sure you don’t suffer from HDS? Absobloodylutely sure? .

Wow, good picks but some of those choices were a little tuffer. #13 could go in any order with those 3. And the Duce is one of the greatest kickers in grizzly lore. Well done.

Bergquist. Not many “tall, lanky” guys have a lot of top gear. Cole did. 2 of the first 4 plays show his wheels and there are other designed run plays where he’s more impressive...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqeXq0hPpvY

Back