• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

#37 What's up with n announcement?

I gotta feeling that we won’t know nothing until whenever that first game finally occurs and a young man named Robbie comes running out wearing #37. I know there’s some question to his Montana status due to him playing high school outside of the border but I got a gut feeling that it’s gonna get worked out.

My guess is it will be either 34 or 17 depending on whether politics play in the decision. I could see a scenario where there might be pressure applied for a certain player to get it.

alabamagrizzly said:
I gotta feeling that we won’t know nothing until whenever that first game finally occurs and a young man named Robbie comes running out wearing #37. I know there’s some question to his Montana status due to him playing high school outside of the border but I got a gut feeling that it’s gonna get worked out.

No

Lewis is a R-Sr while Hauck is a R-Jr.
So maybe Lewis gets it “this year” (whenever the double-F that may be) and Hauck gets it “next year.”

alabamagrizzly said:

:lol:

It's insane to me that a kid that grew up in Missoula isn't considered a Montana boy by a lot of people in the fanbase.

uofmman1122 said:
It's insane to me that a kid that grew up in Missoula isn't considered a Montana boy by a lot of people in the fanbase.
What's insane is to consider a boy who spent only his age 4-10 years in MT, never playing football in the state until at UM, to have grown up in MT and a candidate for #37 just because his uncle wore it and his dad is HC.

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
What's insane is to consider a boy who spent only his age 4-10 years in MT, never playing football in the state until at UM, to have grown up in MT and a candidate for #37 just because his uncle wore it and his dad is HC.

So, for arguments sake, where does it say specifically that the #37 candidate must be born in Montana. The only guideline I can find is that they must “hail” from Montana and by definition, hail means a place of birth or residence. Please set me straight.

alabamagrizzly said:
kemajic said:

So, for arguments sake, where does it say specifically that the #37 candidate must be born in Montana. The only guideline I can find is that they must “hail” from Montana and by definition, hail means a place of birth or residence. Please set me straight.
This was not established by a specific doctrine; it evolved around precedent. Can you provide an example of the #37 awarded to a player that did not play MT HS football? We should see next year; this year it will be Jace anyhow; better player.

kemajic said:
alabamagrizzly said:
This was not established by a specific doctrine; it evolved around precedent. Can you provide an example of the #37 awarded to a player that did not play MT HS football? We should see next year; this year it will be Jace anyhow; better player.

Or show a previous#37 that wasn't born in Montana. Seems to many fans the only reason RH would even be in the conversation is his last name, plenty of other defensive players over the years have been very good players but have not been in the discussion due to their birthplace/high school locations but his name comes up because of just that his name.....there are other players that were born, and played Montana high school football that should be in the conversation for discussion on merits if you go strict Montana ties, but even with all of them included I believe the majority of fans think Lewis fits the bill very well for the next #37.

Lewis' resume seems to be a perfect example of a #37 deserving player. Born, raised, small town high school, state champion high school player (playing both ways as a QB and LB) Walked on, stayed through a coaching change that meant the current coaches did not recruit him so he had to start at square 1 and earn every snap, then earned special team national award while waiting for chance at a starting role, replaces a great player who got injured and then shared time after the player returned, eventually becomes the starter and earns first team all-conference award, now named pre-season Big Sky Conference Defensive MVP. Not to mention a good person, hard nosed , stays out of trouble, is academically on track to graduate and a very respected teammate.

As for why the choice hasn't been announced...I have no clue but seems would be a good move to name the #37 to give fans a little excitement and program some publicity during the Covid hiatus.

Ursus1 said:
kemajic said:

Or show a previous#37 that wasn't born in Montana. Seems to many fans the only reason RH would even be in the conversation is his last name, plenty of other defensive players over the years have been very good players but have not been in the discussion due to their birthplace/high school locations but his name comes up because of just that his name.....there are other players that were born, and played Montana high school football that should be in the conversation for discussion on merits if you go strict Montana ties, but even with all of them included I believe the majority of fans think Lewis fits the bill very well for the next #37.

Lewis' resume seems to be a perfect example of a #37 deserving player. Born, raised, small town high school, state champion high school player (playing both ways as a QB and LB) Walked on, stayed through a coaching change that meant the current coaches did not recruit him so he had to start at square 1 and earn every snap, then earned special team national award while waiting for chance at a starting role, replaces a great player who got injured and then shared time after the player returned, eventually becomes the starter and earns first team all-conference award, now named pre-season Big Sky Conference Defensive MVP. Not to mention a good person, hard nosed , stays out of trouble, is academically on track to graduate and a very respected teammate.

As for why the choice hasn't been announced...I have no clue but seems would be a good move to name the #37 to give fans a little excitement and program some publicity during the Covid hiatus.

To be clear, I’m not saying that Hauck is more deserving then Lewis. I think Lewis should get it because for one, he’s a Sr and Robbies a Jr. Jace will most likely be the defensive captain cus he’s taking over for Dante. But to say that Hauck is only in the discussion because of name alone is not true. He did live almost half his childhood in Missoula(7 of 18 years by Kems numbers) despite them not being one of the five important years(birth and high school). He was nearly FCS Fr of the year, currently leads Jace in career tackles 224 to 209 and will shatter Dante’s career tackle record possibly breaking 500 career tackles. I’m jus sayin cus I like to debate.

“What” a tradition!

On the university’s official roster, #17’s home town is listed as the same town “where” said university is located.

And he’s already won a prestigious BSC award.

And his Dad is the HC.

And his uncle started the tradition. I know it started on O with Paulson but that’s not the point—it’s the handing-it-down part that makes the tradition. Timmy was 1st and probably the best. “Why?” Because he was Mutha F’n awesome. The tradition doesn’t exist if Timmy doesn’t rock it, and basically everyone since.

So you’re focusing on history but not the actual “precedent” or whatever the hell it’s called. The new recipient is chosen by the last player to don the number. Mr. Simms gets to pick, not us. That’s the “how.”

But the last transition was announced at the spring scrimmage under quite the pomp and fanfare. That may help address the likely “when.” I think it was about to happen until the pandemic hit.

As for the “who”?—that issue is premature for #17. “Next season”, if you want to argue between #17, #14, and #58 (or another), we can cross that walking-bridge when we get there. I would like to see how “this season” goes first, although there seems to be a leader in the clubhouse.

As always, it’ll come down to the sliding scale of nose hardness and proximity of conception, measured as the crow flies, from Old Dornblaser.

garizzalies said:
“What” a tradition!

On the university’s official roster, #17’s home town is listed as the same town “where” said university is located.

And his Dad is the HC.

And his uncle started the tradition. I know it started on O with Paulson but that’s not the point—it’s the handing-it-down part that makes the tradition. Timmy was 1st and probably the best. “Why?” Because he was Mutha F’n awesome. The tradition doesn’t exist if Timmy doesn’t rock it, and basically everyone since.

So you’re focusing on history but not the actual “precedent” or whatever the hell it’s called. The new recipient is chosen by the last player to don the number. Mr. Simms gets to pick, not us. That’s the “how.”

But the last transition was announced at the spring scrimmage under quite the pomp and fanfare. That may help address the likely “when.” I think it was about to happen until the pandemic hit.

As for the “who”?—that issue is premature for #17. “Next season”, if you want to argue between #17, #14, and #58 (or another), we can cross that walking-bridge when we get there. I would like to see how “this season” goes first, although there seems to be a leader in the clubhouse.
I think Jacob McGourin has a #37 in his future.

kemajic said:
garizzalies said:
“What” a tradition!

And his Dad is the HC.

This^^^ Assuming he picks up where he left off and continues to improve, he's going to be a nightmare for opposing QB's.
Can't wait to see it!

kemajic said:

I could see that since he does claim montana as his residency which, by definition, makes him eligible for the #, you know, for arguments sake.

Back