• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best Griz To Wear The Number 71-80

SaskGriz

DONOR
71 Larry Clarkson: This 6’7, 300 pounder went from an unnoticed tackle in Coach Donavon’s wishbone to an All American and NFL draft pick in Coach Read’s spread offense.

Honorable Mention: Cody Balogh, another massive tackle who was All Big Sky and an Honorable Mention All American. Kirk Murphy was an All Big Sky First Teamer at defensive end. Alex Verlanic was a Second Team All Big Sky center who started in the National Championship game against Villanova.

72 Dylan McFarland a two time All American at offensive tackle.

Honorable Mention: Levi Horn, this was another coin flip selection. Horn was an All American tackle after transferring to Montana from the University of Oregon. Scott Camper deserves a mention, he played only one season for the Griz at defensive tackle where he registered 11 sacks and 19 total TFL’s. Those are impressive numbers from a tackle and earned him an All American honorable mention.

73 Thatcher Szalay: An All American interior lineman who opened holes for Yo Humphrey on the 2001 Championship team.

Honorable Mention: Shaun Poole a second team All American lineman way back at the opening of WGS. Jeff Zellick was also an All American offensive lineman on some great Griz lines.

74 Scott Gragg: An All American tackle who might be the best offensive lineman on this list. Went on to make almost 150 starts in the NFL

Honorable Mention: Two more All American offensive tackles in Chase Raynock and John Opperud.

75 Cory Proctor: Yet another All-American, who played both guard and tackle with the Griz.

Honorable Mention: Jason Baker, All Big Sky Offensive Tackle.

76 Danny Kistler Jr. was a first team All American offensive tackle.

Honorable Mention: Brad Rhodes was also an All American at tackle and could have just as easily been made the pick here. David Reese was a four year starter and an All Big Sky tackle.

77 John Skinner was an All Big Sky tackle who got some All American votes as well.

Honorable Mention: Terran Hillesland was a massive All Conference guard, who could have been the pick here. Greg Smerker was a second team All-Conference Defensive lineman, who I’m showing some love to partly because I just wanted to name someone in this set who wasn’t an offensive lineman.

78 Conlan Beaver: This pre-season All American tackle found his way to the Griz from the state of Pennsylvania and has steadily improved.

Honorable Mention: Eric Michel was an offensive lineman who worked his way into the starting lineup at guard.

79 Colin Dow: Two Time All American at guard.

Honorable Mention: Leif Thorsen a three year starter at guard and a two time All Conference honorable mention.

80 Marc Mariani: If there is a single Grizzly more beloved than Dave Dickenson it might just be Mariani. An All-American receiver and an All-Pro returner.

Honorable Mention: Josh Horner an excellent tight end, one of those guys you pencilled in and then didn’t need to worry because he always played well.

Another job well done. UM has had some really great lineman. Hard to believe there hasn’t been more #80’s. The only argument I might have is Balogh over Clackson. I don’t remember seeing Clarkson play being so young and long ago but I remember thinking Cody had been snubbed for some 1st Team All Con selections. A 3 year starter during the height of Bobby’s first stint, he also made the Chi Bears practice squad.

Back