• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

We need an indoor practice facility...

Brother Bear

In listening to coach Hauck, it is clear that one of the problems with the spring season is getting the team ready in time and the ability to have safe practices that can start in January for a possible February season. We are currently lucky in Montana that we have had relatively warm weather so far and not a lot of snow. Freezing temps make the ground hard and extremely difficult to get quality-safe practice in. Will the weather hold... will the team decide to opt out this spring season even if other FCS schools still do it and chase a Championship? Do the Griz just do normal spring practice when time comes and gear up for the fall season like normal? The other side of the coin obviously is the U certainly needs fans and money coming in the door to make this all work. Would UM even try to play if only 25 spectators are allowed inside WA-Griz? Games could obviously be televised for some potential revenue.

Regardless of the Covid situation, at some point (the sooner the better) the University of Montana would benefit greatly from an indoor practice facility that can be shared by multiple sports, a benefit to both the female teams and male teams at the Flagship.

Any ideas on the cost of what it would cost to do in Missoula and the best place to put it on campus? The University of Missouri just got a $10 million dollar donation to get it going on their campus.

https://abc17news.com/news/2020/12/29/mizzou-athletics-announces-10-million-donation-for-new-indoor-facility/

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6767054-Bison-football-indoor-practice-facility-on-the-verge-of-completing-fundraising#.X-vPyf9iySE.link

Yes, we need one in next couple weeks. Perhaps Denny Washington doing UM Warp Speed?

Without fans, would the indoor tennis facility at the Peak-South work, with a good floor?

If I remember correctly from a Griz fan pod episode over the summer with Greg Sundberg, I seem to remember him saying that they are currently (or very soon) fundraising for an indoor practice facility. George Ferguson might be the best one to ask on this. He seems to know a lot about the plans for where it goes, what it looks like, how fundraising’s going, etc. I’m with ya though BB, this needs to be a priority within the next 5-7 years. Hopefully with the idea of a spring season, it speeds up the process.

Griz til I die said:
If I remember correctly from a Griz fan pod episode over the summer with Greg Sundberg, I seem to remember him saying that they are currently (or very soon) fundraising for an indoor practice facility. George Ferguson might be the best one to ask on this. He seems to know a lot about the plans for where it goes, what it looks like, how fundraising’s going, etc. I’m with ya though BB, this needs to be a priority within the next 5-7 years. Hopefully with the idea of a spring season, it speeds up the process.

I seem to remember that they said they were finishing fundraising for the Champions Center and would then turn to an indoor facility.

MikeyGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

I seem to remember that they said they were finishing fundraising for the Champions Center and would then turn to an indoor facility.
I seem to remember him saying on the pod they were gonna try fundraising both projects at the same time. They already have the money for the men’s basketball locker room and new equipment center, construction for that begins as soon as the season ends, so all they have left for the adams center is women’s basketball and the Olympic sports and that’s probably only a price tag of about 2-4 million, and who knows, they may already have the money for that. I’m sure that if they haven’t begun fundraising for the indoor yet, they will be shortly.

Griz til I die said:
MikeyGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

I seem to remember him saying on the pod they were gonna try fundraising both projects at the same time. They already have the money for the men’s basketball locker room and new equipment center, construction for that begins as soon as the season ends, so all they have left for the adams center is women’s basketball and the Olympic sports and that’s probably only a price tag of about 2-4 million, and who knows, they may already have the money for that. I’m sure that if they haven’t begun fundraising for the indoor yet, they will be shortly.
Griz til I die said:
MikeyGriz said:

15+ years ago (Missoulian June 15, 2005) as part of his campaign in becoming Athletic Director , Jim O’Day indicated a priority of his, if hired, would be to identify donors to build an indoor practice facility. It never got any resemblance of traction in the 7 years while he was AD. Maybe he would consider heading up the campaign now. He’s still got lots of friends that he can solicit, he is still called upon by many to be a voice of Griz athletics and he still loves the program. Chance to deliver on an old promise. Nice opportunity for both his legacy and UM athletics.

Brother Bear said:
In listening to coach Hauck, it is clear that one of the problems with the spring season is getting the team ready in time and the ability to have safe practices that can start in January for a possible February season.
Why would you refer to the spring schedule as a "February season?" The one Feb game on 2/27 is indoors in Flagstaff. There is a very good chance the games will have less weather problems than the normal late Nov. and Dec playoff games. The preseason practices will be the issue. If I recall correctly, the playing surface of the stadium has underground heat.

I don't think it does. They discussed putting in heat when it was natural grass, but it never happened. Just good old cold artificial grass now.

"North Dakota State hopes to break ground on its $37.2M indoor FB facility this spring. Bison AD Larsen acknowledges the importance of maintaining facilities on par with others in the conference, adding: “But more important, the reason why we need this is the climate dictates it more than anything else. If we were in a southern climate, it would not be as big of a priority. The way the FCS is structured with playoffs late into November and December, we need a place to train. And beyond football, for all the other outdoor sports.”

Got to tip your hat to the Bison, they know how to capitalize on success and don't rest...

Brother Bear said:
"North Dakota State hopes to break ground on its $37.2M indoor FB facility this spring. Bison AD Larsen acknowledges the importance of maintaining facilities on par with others in the conference, adding: “But more important, the reason why we need this is the climate dictates it more than anything else. If we were in a southern climate, it would not be as big of a priority. The way the FCS is structured with playoffs late into November and December, we need a place to train. And beyond football, for all the other outdoor sports.”

Got to tip your hat to the Bison, they know how to capitalize on success and don't rest...
They did not have an Engstrom to deal with, the Dakotas gift to our program.

Back